Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zulithe

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Does anyone know if a store shows it does not have stock on a model for in-store reserve, do they still have models for walk-in customers? Probably not but this would help me, as I am not able to reserve online.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
looks like the only AT&T iPhone 5S available in NY is the 32GB Slate.. good thing that's the exact one I wanted... picking up as we speak @ Grand Central

----------

It's not really a reservation system, because you're actually paying for it. You just have to pick it up. SO I would assume they have to hold it for you indefinitely (within reason) since it's already paid for. Much better than last years reservation system in my opinion.

No I mean does it hold it in the cart for you while you type in the payment info. So let's say there's only 1 gold iphone here. I add it to my cart and when someone else checks stock, will they be able to see that 1 phone and snag it if I'm too slow at entering my payment?

----------

Does anyone know if a store shows it does not have stock on a model for in-store reserve, do they still have models for walk-in customers? Probably not but this would help me, as I am not able to reserve online.

Yes I believe there are always reserves for that. It would be bad business to turn everyone away that walks in to tell them to go home or the nearest computer to just reserve and come back later.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
No I mean does it hold it in the cart for you while you type in the payment info. So let's say there's only 1 gold iphone here. I add it to my cart and when someone else checks stock, will they be able to see that 1 phone and snag it if I'm too slow at entering my payment?

----------

Yes I believe there are always reserves for that. It would be bad business to turn everyone away that walks in to tell them to go home or the nearest computer to just reserve and come back later.

I would say yes. It's probably the main reason why this year's requires a payment instead of a piece of paper saying that you can go to the store and wait in line anyway haha. It saves them time and inventory is sold before you even step foot into the store. I will still bet they will have quite a few on hand for walkins, its just that its more risky since you're at their mercy of what is available.

Dronac

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012

----------

No it does not. I cancelled my online order for a 64GB white 5s. I added one for local pickup to my cart (showed available online). Went through the upgrade check, entered payment information, and the order could no longer be processed due it it being unavailable.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Does anyone know if this really does get updated at 10pm every day? Or if it is just completely random?

They never said anything about 10pm so who knows. I mean, for all we know, they can automatically update inventory once UPS/FedEx shows up in the middle of the day. Anything can happen.

----------

No it does not. I cancelled my online order for a 64GB white 5s. I added one for local pickup to my cart (showed available online). Went through the upgrade check, entered payment information, and the order could no longer be processed due it it being unavailable.

I'm going to keep trying for about a week. If no go, I'm just going to place the order online and wait. As long as it comes before Battlefield 4's release date, I'm fine (BF4 is xmas for me)

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
They never said anything about 10pm so who knows. I mean, for all we know, they can automatically update inventory once UPS/FedEx shows up in the middle of the day. Anything can happen.

----------

I'm going to keep trying for about a week. If no go, I'm just going to place the order online and wait. As long as it comes before Battlefield 4's release date, I'm fine (BF4 is xmas for me)

i feel like the old system was based upon on hand inventory from previous day + deliveries that were not purchased. Since this years system requires a purchase, in theory it should be based on live inventory, but it all depends on how they seprarate on hand vs instore pickup.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Seems that the UK don't get this option :( Sucks, my nearest Apple store is over 15 miles away and I'd rather buy in store to check the phone for scuffs before I leave.

ohjustjake

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008

Somebody in a similar thread said for the 5, the stores updated their inventory online around 10pm. Not sure how accurate this is though.

They're not showing anything for NYC.

arom

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
So basically anything that comes in during the next day won't be updated until that night after close? you'd think it be a 'live' update througout they day on stocking levels...

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
This used to be setup that at 10 pm whatever stock on hand in any given store would be available to purchase and puck up the next day.

Now the interesting thing this year is I see NO time listed anywhere on stock on hand. Now if this is the case than it is setup to be dynamic in the sense 40 show up at opening than they are available for walk ins and immediate purchase online and pick up when you get a email to confirm a pickup time. If this is the case than things have actually changed for the better and frankly the whole launch day thing would be far better off going to a system like this. You could still have the 12 am online start and let's say the first 100 people decided to pick up and when stock ran out of that store it would automatically take you into the shipping mode. To me this would be a far better system to take the hassle of buying off the end user and far better for the store employees. Why this is not in place at the start of a launch is beyond me. This is so much better and you also get the option of picking the store or stores in your area so if one is out of stock maybe another one is not. That's called a choice to the end user. Here in Phoenix I have 5 Apple stores to go to so your odds on launch day go up and your not stuck camping out all night. Which really is stupid to put your customers through.

Okay I know way to logical but it would be the best setup yet without complaints.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
If it was me looking right now to purchase and if this setup they way I think I would be on line checking at opening time of the Apple stores in your area. By the time most open up FedX has made its deliveries before 10 am.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
So basically anything that comes in during the next day won't be updated until that night after close? you'd think it be a 'live' update througout they day on stocking levels...

In previous years, any shipments that came in during the day were not made available for sale that day, they were held for the next morning. At least that's how my local Apple store has done it.

ohjustjake

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, the only one I can find online is a 64gig Slate Gray in Staten Island. Nothing in Manhattan.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
In previous years, any shipments that came in during the day were not made available for sale that day, they were held for the next morning. At least that's how my local Apple store has done it.

Last year it was clearly stated at 10 pm. I'm not seeing that this year, reason why it could be dynamic. Unless someone can point out a time.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

Right, but previously the reservation system was just a reservation. You actually have to buy it this time so it may be based on current inventory,

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Cancelled my online order for October, and then it woudn't let me reserve the instore pickup today because the AT&T check said I already had an order submitted.

It took about 5 min or so before the upgrade eligibility system synced up and let me order for pickup today. Just FYI.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Cancelled my online order for October, and then it woudn't let me reserve the instore pickup today because the AT&T check said I already had an order submitted.

It took about 5 min or so before the upgrade eligibility system synced up and let me order for pickup today. Just FYI.

Perfect and the way to go if you ask me. Had I known this was dynamic I might not have camped out on launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.