[RESOLVED] The Never-ending repair. How to let Apple higher ups know??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rosh325, Feb 5, 2011.

1. rosh325, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

rosh325 macrumors regular

Hi all, the short story is that my late '07 experienced the video card failure thanks to Nvidia's poor QC. What followed were a series of bad repairs on Apple's part which has left me frustrated and wondering how to proceed. Trust me I'm not someone who feels the world owes me for ever little grievance but this is getting out of hand. Is there a specific address or phone number I can use to let someone higher up at Apple know whats going on (and no I don't plan to e-mail Mr. Jobs about this one). All repairs were done at the Michigan Ave Apple Store in Chicago.

Long story:
    Repair 1: 1/22/11: Laptop sent out for logic board replacement

1/23/11: Laptop returned with many new scratches on the bottom, a small dent on the top lid, and the inability to close the top lid. This was due to a large bend in the metal above the superdrive (how they did this, I have no idea!). Luckily previous genius indicated no cosmetic scratches/damages existed before the repair (which was true!).

Repair 2: 1/25/11: Laptop sent out for replacement of top and bottom clamshell to fix damaged caused by repair. Returned 1/27/11 with only bottom clamshell replaced (despite Genius' instructions to replace both).

Repair 3: 1/27/11: Laptop kept in Apple store for top clamshell replacement once part received

Repair 4: 2/4/11: For whatever reason with new clamshell, my battery now jammed and won't eject easily. Genius tested using another battery which didn't exhibit the problem so he swapped my battery.

Repair 5: 2/4/11? Now I have to go back to the store since last night I noticed my keyboard no longer lights up (and yes, I have toggled F8 in a dark environment). Also the ambient light sensor in general seems to be wonky since display dims in a slow and jittery way instead of a smooth transition.

I have no doubt that Apple will be able to repair item #5 but I'm just at my wit's end over the lack of QC involved in this repair. I spoke to the manager at the time of repair 3 who was helpful and apologized for what happened. Still, I feel like someone higher at Apple has to know about this. Plus it's frustrating since ultimately the replacement logic board can still contain the flawed Nvidia card and I might have to go through all this again whenever it decides to fail. Honestly with the amount of money they spent on these repairs it would have been cheaper for them to give me a new computer (Total price quoted so far for parts/repairs: $2104.05, doesn't include cost to Apple to ship to/from). Not that I'm expecting a new computer!

2. davie18 macrumors regular

Well yea I wouldn't email Steve Jobs seeing as he's on sick leave but I guess some people might still be checking his emails.

I guess you could just ring them up on 1-800-676-2775 and ask if they know where you could email / call / send a letter to to complain.

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

It seems from your comments that you are hoping for a new machine, but Apple just dosen't do that so easily. Usually they have to replace the same part 3x or show a lengthy history of multiple repairs. It seems from your chronology that most of your repairs seem to have centered around one repair issue. So I think that they will make it right for you, but I'm not sure if they will give you a new computer. But I would bring it back again, be nice but firm that you are dissatisfied, and ask to speak with the manager. You could also call Apple customer relations, as they will go out of their way to make sure you are happy.

The replacement logic boards have been fixed and do not contain the NVidia issue, so no worries there.

4. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the quick and helpful replies. I'm sure part of me wants a new machine but I also agree that it hasn't been a specific part that has failed (just tons of events stemming from their original data). I do believe in people being accountable and I just want Apple to look into how much the first repair messed up my computer. I seriously do not know how he could have dented the machine so much (I thought I had a picture but I guess I deleted it on my phone). Also I do recognize that I have an older machine, again just thought the whole process was weird and frustrating. I'll let you know what they say today.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Repairs 2 and 3 look to be continuations of repair 1, not really separate repairs. Repair 4 is in no way a major repair, and doesn't count towards getting a new machine. Repair 5 is also a minor repair. I don't see how you added all this up and decided your machine was in need of replacement.

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I disagree with docal97 because I read article a few months ago that is very similar to this.

Exposition: A customer bought a brand new car from Ford. It might have been a Mustang but I don't remember. There was a recall on a part that would randomly die and strand the owner wherever they were at.

The customer brought their car to Ford to have the part replaced per the recall. While there, an accident occurred that damaged the passenger door and rear panel. Ford apologized and fixed the door, rear panel, and had it repainted.

The customer complained that the door and rear panel did not match in color (it was slightly darker or lighter than the rest of the car) and the door was not as 'flush' with the car as it was before the accident. They ended up in court as the customer wanted either a new car or them to fix it like 'new'.

The article went into the laws that pertain to property when its in other people's hands, like the manufacturer. What rights does the customer have when their property is damaged by the manufacturer during repair, issues like this...

I think that we all agree that Apple didn't -perhaps- intentionally put defective chips into their computers. I believe that NV was hiding it from everyone. However, Apple is bound by law to replace the defective part with consumer laws (which is somewhat different from state to state). NV issued a recall, it was a class action lawsuit, Apple has to fix it, etc...

Apple did their job by replacing the defective part. However, they also damaged property in the process. They compounded that problem by not fixing the damage correctly multiple times.

According to the article I read, I believe the consumer has a broad range of desecration when it comes to having the damaged property fixed or replaced. Just because Apple makes the computer or is fixing a problem does not grant them any special privileges if they damage property owned by another person.

What also helps the OP is that they have documentation, documentation, and documentation. He can easily show that there was nothing wrong with the computer upon delivery to Apple for their recall. An Apple representative clearly stated no damaged to the case.

I can sympathize with the OP and I'm not so sure a new computer isn't warranted. The OP brought their undamaged computer to Apple for the recall repair. Apple damaged the OP's property while doing the repair. The OP didn't demand a new computer, just repair what Apple had damaged. Apple didn't do it (or do it correctly).

The OP went back when their battery (again property) was damaged and had to be replaced (again documented).

Now an internal issue with the keyboard lights not working?

Lastly, I think as property goes, its not a TV. This is a computer that you can easily argue is work or student related to the OP's life. Time is valuable. I use my MBP for work 99% of the time. If you are going to repair it because of an issue YOU caused then you owe me for the time.

I think the OP has been very patient and generous to Apple for their time. I would not endure another repair without being compensated. I would approach the manager firm but nice. State the number of repairs, the damaged caused by Apple, the time wasted because of Apple, and the documentation you have. Ask how Apple plans to make this right? How many incompetent repairs must he endure until Apple gives him a replacement? What guarantee does he have that this repair will not go badly? What is the district manager's name so he can file a complaint?

My time is valuable and I believe the OP probably feels the same way. I think there is a fine line between being an honorable consumer, enduring a reasonable amount of inconvenience for a recall but I think Apple pushed it over the line when they only replaced half of the damaged case they caused.

-P

7. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

@Bill Gates: I agree and again I never explicitly stated I expect a new machine. I just want someone other than my local Apple store genius/ manager to know that the ball is being dropped on the quality of the repair. Accidents happen, I get that. But it's not like Apple said "hey we messed up your repair, we just noticed your screen won't close". Instead they just kept handing it back without so much as looking it over and said have a nice day. I had to keep coming back to point out the damages.

As for time lost, I'm pretty sure the fine print on their repair sheet states they're not responsible, but yes, it sucks.

Again not pissed or anything at Apple. They're listening to the issues and trying appropriate repairs, it's just disappointing that's all.

8. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Being on my 4th logic board, i can guarantee you that is not the case, lol! I'm in a similar situation, but a very different time line:

July 2007 - bought computer
    July 2009 - first NVIDIA failure (2 years, not bad)
    December 2010 - second NVIDIA failure (1.5 years - clearly the replacement wasn't any better)
    January 2011 - third NVIDIA failure (1 month - clearly somethings wrong there!)

I politely implied to the Genius at the store upon pickup yesterday that this was getting to be a hassle, I'm in the middle of wrapping up a thesis, and I'm losing all confidence in the reliability of my machine with these rather spectacular crashes. What if it happens again when I'm presenting my research on Monday?? I was told that seeing as my computer is beyond the regular warranty period, they can't just replace the whole computer, and the best they can do is to continue to replace the part for which the warranty has been extended.

So, essentially I'm stuck with a purchase that is more or less guaranteed to give me serious problems every couple months, requiring two trips to the apple store and weeks without my computer while it's being repaired each time it happens, not to mention the constant fear of losing unsaved work due to an unexpected crash. Having preached about the awesomeness of Apple products for 10 years, I feel a little disillusioned, to say the least.

9. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

What is so bad about expecting a replacement unit or at least credit for the value of the unit 5 repairs ago. The store broke the computer in several places with all of the new problems this is causing I would want a replacement unit as well

It's not like he is getting a free computer, they broke his. I would be pretty pissed if apple just handed me back a unit they broke with out out doing any QC.

This is Apple, they are expensive but worth it, one of the reasons for the premium price is you have the right to expect professionalism in initial build and repair service.

OP, if you can get to one I would take it to a different Apple store and explain that you are not comfortable with the store you have been going to, they should make it right.

10. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

Show what you wrote to Genuius Bar

-------------------------------------------------------
    I personally think you deserve new computer for all the hassle you went through. I complained to Genius bar for letting me visit Genius bar to fix my old PowerBook G4 4 times within 2 month period, and they gave me brand new latest generation PowerBook G4 for free with re-stocking fee of $80. Served me well for past 7 years, and now my friend is using it (still works well). Anyway my point is that if Apple caused you that much trouble, then you deserve a new computer.

11. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You don't indicate where you are located so I'm not sure if this phone number is correct for your area. If you are in the US the Customer Relations number is 800-767-2775. If you are outside the US then call AppleCare and request the Customer Relations phone number. You aren't speaking to the correct people.

12. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Apple is hoping us Santa Rosa MBP owners will eventually die off and quit spewing out bad press about their products.

13. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

Resolved

Hi all, so first, thank you for all your replies. I plan to use the customer relations number you all provided to pass along my story.

@jeffy.dee-lux: I'm sorry you had to go through all that. When I asked the Genius after repair 1 if this next one would be prone to failure he gave me a "well, all hardware can fail". Not really the most truthful answer. At least now, given that a settlement was reached on the class action lawsuit against Nvidia you have ammo for showing that this is more than just Apple being polite for extending your warranty.

That being said I went back to the Apple store and spoke to a different manager. This one looked at all the repair papers and immediately said he would provide me with a new MBP and asked Glossy or Matte. Needless to say I was ecstatic and feel lucky since I know how variable these things can be. I would like to add that when he asked "what would you like from us today" I didn't ask for a new computer since I still didn't know that it was fully appropriate. Instead he stated that at this point any repairs on my machine would have exceeded its value and that it was more economical for them to just replace it with a new model.

Again thank you for everyone who weighed in. I still plan to contact Apple about the repairs but at least I can now add my satisfaction with the resolution and the very helpful staff at the Apple store. I certainly know I wouldn't get this level of customer service from a different computer manufacturer.

14. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I f'n love Apple. I figured it would work out for you. Happy for you

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

16. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Mr. Chewbacca I fully agree. I did let the manager know that I have referred a bunch of friends to Apple and will continue to do so.

Since it was asked in a message: I went with the glossy (despite previously having a matte display). I'm not doing intense video/photo editing, and instead mainly use the machine for videos/gaming/etc so they recommended glossy. I'm sure the glare might be annoying from time to time but the colors on here are beautiful so I'm satisfied.

My original MBP was the 2007 Santa Rosa 2.2 (low end) with ram I upgraded later. The machine they gave me is the 2.53GHz i5 machine and so I'm also quite happy they decided to give me the mid-range model.

I'm not going to lie, this is a huge improvement in user experience over my SR MBP.

17. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree it was a very smart investment. Just to point out: I was actually out of the window on Applecare (glad the machine lasted that long) but given the current litigation regarding the NVidia defect, Apple has been extending the Applecare to cover the graphics card (along with their batteries).

I am also happy that I am able to purchase Applecare for this new machine as I didn't know if I would be allowed. To anyone who is a student, remember you can get the educational discount on the Applecare. Saved me $110

18. whyzdom macrumors regular

19. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Win, win!

20. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Glad to hear after all those repairs you got a new machine. Apple has been working on my Mid 2009 MBP for over 6 months now and has been unable to resolve the problem. I do not mind working with them on fixing the concern. Our problem was the original apple car was going to run out in March. Well I asked for an apple care extension to cover the machine while still trying to fix the unit, they said that could not be done as per policy.

Talked to a few people in customer relations and technicians... They are sending out a new machine since we have been put through so much hassle. The hassle really was the apple store manager being a d*ck, but the people at corporate have always been the best!

Seems people have the worst care at the apple store. Wonder why the stores are so bad at doing repairs? :confused: BTW I love my apple products :)

21. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to hear they're fixing the situation. I'm not sure what the issue is with the repair centers but as I mentioned, I plan to still let Apple know what happened. I think the thing that helped the most was having the physical print outs for all the repairs that I was given (Genius bar work authorization). I think it really drove the point home more so than any computer entry or story. Just like most customer service, sometimes you just need to talk to a different person.

22. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Congratulations! I'm so glad that you got your issue resolved.

One more piece of follow-up advice: If you have the helpful manager's name, I would write her/him a thank-you note on a piece of paper, or offer to send him a short letter of thanks to his district manager. It's the right thing to do, and he/she will appreciate it, and you will have a new friend for life! It will be guaranteed that, if you ever need help again at that store and he/she is still working there, you will also get a TON of help from that person directly. People LOVE to receive handwritten thank-you notes. It is very traditional but still always very appreciated.

Best wishes to you! I'm glad that you got things fixed up!

23. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I thanked him as much as possible in person and told him I plan to write in (as part of the larger issue of making sure this doesn't happen to someone else's laptop at their repair center) and will include a thank you with his name/the names of the Geniuses who helped me. I was told to just call the customer relations number but I'll see if I can find a district manager as well.

24. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

It never hurts to do... Sounds good... It seems like giving "thanks" to someone else also has the side benefit of lifting my own spirits too! :) I try to write lots of thank-you notes, when it is appropriate.

Again, congratulations on getting this all resolved! Way to go!

25. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Let's all face it.

MBP while greatest, not the cheapest machine in the world.
    People who uses mbp most likely uses them 100%(or almost).
    Whether you use them mainly as work or school, it's very important and OP(along w/ anyone else who is going through hardship like this) deserves something. Shouldn't this be a consumer right?(even though it's never straight on answer)

I dread having problem w/ a laptop as I have completely moved off from any static stationary setup -- even at my house. I just completely moved off to floating office even at home.(laptop w/ big monitor to connect to).