Restore from backup = bad battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rye9, Jun 27, 2010.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

How and why is this? I personally am worried by this myth/maybe fact because I do not feel that my iPhone 4 is experiencing tremendous battery life, and I did restore it from a backup on my old 3G.

Now, if this actually were the issue.. when Apple releases the next iOS update, 4.0.1 or 4.1... would this then fix the issue as it's new software being installed to override the old?

2. g8orballboy macrumors regular

I have the same issue in that my phone's battery life seems to be worse than my 3GS was, and I restored from backup as well. Is this really the reason why?

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I doubt it. I restored from a backup of my 3GS, and I have amazing battery life.

4. oceanocurls macrumors newbie

I restored from backup also and no problem with battery life I can def tell the diff between my 3gs and now

5. hipvamore macrumors regular

i did and i have great battery life. doesnt really make sense to me

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Well I restored my 3GS from a backup of my orignal iPhone and did have very poor battery life. Restoring the phone as new solved the issue.

It's never been discovered what setting in the backup causes the issue, but setting up as a new phone always solves the problem.

7. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I did a restore from my 3G. Although the battery life is better than my 3G, it's not as good as i thought it would be.

ALSO...do we have to let the battery die out in the beginning for a better battery?

8. nednarm macrumors 6502

I'm also getting this as well. After 4 hours of standy and about 20 minutes max of actual use it's already down to 90% This is roughly what I was getting on my 3gs. I'm gonna go ahead and restore it from fresh and see if that changes anything.

9. Nic10 macrumors newbie

I restored from a backup of my iPhone 2g to iPhone 4 and the battery is not as good as I expected. I don't think it is any better than my 2g.

Over 7 hours overnight it dropped from 77% to 68% even though I turned off push email.

Setting up as a new Pune is unacceptable for me. There is key information I need in some apps. Is there a way to restore settings and apps selectively?

10. Gagoots macrumors regular

I have notes that I need. Any way to save them without a restore?

11. nednarm macrumors 6502

If you connect your phone to itunes then under the info tabs there should be a tick box with notes, when you sync it will save them to your HD. once you've set your phone up as a new one just go back to this tab and tick the notes box again.

I've just done a restore and after 30+ minutes of use and an hour of standvy the batter is at 98%. Very impressed.

12. Gagoots macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.
    Is this notes in e-mai, or notepad? I will be looking to restore notepad from a backed-up phone.

13. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I'm losing 20% battery overnight with phone in sleep mode.

Guess I'll try a fresh restore from scratch tonight and see if that helps.

I'm really wondering if it will. Seems so hit or miss.

14. michael31986 macrumors 68030

this is why i never backed it up. i started from scratch.

15. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Resetting all settings will do the trick. Just make sure you don't accitdentally hit reset all content and settings that is directly underneath it.

It will reset every setting on the phone and leave all apps and their data intact, as well as texts, emails, etc. There was a thread a while ago and it worked for lots of people who were suffering from battery drainage as a result of upgrading to a new phone or upgrading to a new software.

16. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Trying that as we speak. I'll update how it works.

17. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I just tried the resetting and it apparently didn't work.... I'm going to have to try a fresh "install" tonight. But from when I opened this thread and read the posts my battery was at 72% as I'm typing this and sending it, it's at 67%...

18. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

They said try restore from new tonight. Then test overnight. If same issue I'll get a new phone. Restore to new should fix it they claim.*

My battery us just sucking juice.

19. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I used a back up of an iPhone 3G on my new iPhone 4 and to be honest I haven't been overly impressed with the battery life. Overnight it drops about 9%, so from 100% full charge to 91%. I know this isn't as bad as the others, but still I wasn't expecting it to drop this much. When on calls the battery life starts to drop dramatically, to the point where I'm constantly watching the percentage go down. Can anyone confirm how fast there battery percentage is going down when on a call, for example, 1% per minute? It's just to confirm whether or not I should do a restore to new on my phone as well and therefore lose all my back up settings :(

On another note, but the same issue, has this restoring from a back up causing bad battery issues been confirmed? I haven't come across it anywhere other than on this particular post.

20. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Just what the rep told me. Not sure if technically "confirmed" or not.

21. Blazing angel macrumors regular

settings>general>reset>reset all>Yes

then let it drain to about 10% and charge it fully

22. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Done. Battery is on 73% now so will let it drop to 10% and then charge fully and see how I get on for now :cool:

23. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I am assuming this would also reset things like stored WiFi networks/passwords and things like that ... wouldn't it? Any way of knowing exactly what it will and what it will not reset?

24. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Data and media are not deleted. Everything else is reset. So passwords for WiFi networks and so on will be deleted and need to be re-entered.

25. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I did. Rep said it wouldn't help. But after I did it I've lost 27% still in about 20-25 min of safari use.

Just unacceptable.