Retail training info leaked and straps will be sold

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Julien, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

9to5Mac got ahold of the retail :apple:Watch training material. In it one of the bullet points is to ask "Would you like additional bands to suit different occasions" So proof that not only will straps/bands be sold individually but that Apple will also offer/up sell them as well. Why anyone thought Apple would not sell them is an oddity to me.

The article can be found here.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/03/apple...key-features-switch-to-iphone-focus-on-bands/

2. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

and no question is asked about storage, so all the watches should have the same storage.

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

After reading that appears to be a safe bet.

4. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'm just waiting for the launch day proceedure documents to get leaked now. I want to see how the lines will work on launch day, and if we will have to reserve a model while in line before we get to play with the watches.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Right, so if a customer answers yes to "Would you like additional bands to suit different occasions?" they'll pitch the stainless steel model as it's the only one that is aesthetically compatible with the various diferent bands.

6. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Probably, though there is nothing shown in the training material to indicate this. Still they should point out a mismatch before selling a SS bracelet and a Sport :apple:Watch. However it is nice to know Apple will be selling the Straps/Bracelets individually (although I never doubted it) in addition to what comes on the :apple:Watch you buy.

7. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Yes, and therefore that's why I think the SS model won't be much more expensive.

8. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I see nothing in JayLenochiniMac post to suggest pricing direction, one way or the other.

9. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

No, but if Apple prices the SS high, people will purchase a sport, and probably no additional bands.

If Apple prices it fairly e.g 499, then they'll be able to upset on the bands and probably sell more watches and bands combined.

10. Dave245 macrumors 601

It's good to know that Apple will be selling the bands/straps individually, i just wonder how the experience is going to be? for example i already know that i will be wanting to purchase additional bands.

When i go to the Apple store and decide between the SS and the Sport version will i be able to try on the additional bands before buying them? i will want to get a sport band for the gym/exercising and a Stainless Steel Link Bracelet for everyday, but i might also want other bands such as the Brown Modern Buckle.

11. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I suspect, like iPhone cases, they will have dummy models that you can use to try before you buy. You'll probably not be able to take them out of the packaging, but rather they'll give you one to try on either your watch, or if you've not yet bought one, on a watch.

However, remember, since all the straps are in collections. You'll probably be able to find each strap on a table and just pick it up and try it out.

12. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Apple knows the market and will price accordingly. It is just as easy to debate the opposite. Price the SS too low will devalue it to a point that it will not meet the fashion expectations and suffer in sales.

If looking for inexpensive you buy the Sport and if looking for more fashion exclusivity you buy the SS.

If Apple was going to price the SS almost the same price as the Sport then why even bother to make both models?

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Sorry to bring this down to hard reality with a crash, but if you are looking for "Exclusivity" you would not buy anything from Apple in the 1st place.

They must have around the highest quantity of mass produced items out there, the very opposite of exclusivity.

14. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Yes, exactly. The Edition is the exclusive. The Sport and SS are the 'bread and butter' that you'll find everywhere.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

agreed. If the SS is over $500 I will get the sport. I have a pebble now, so it cannot look any less sexy :)

16. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Yes, and I think Apple will go with $499 for the SS with sport band.

That's the' standard model' it's the one seen on the Apple Watch icon. It's the one Tim Cook has. It's the one you see on much of the marketing material.

17. dec. Suspended

dec.

I agree completely. I don't get the "Apple is so exclusive" thing that some people talk about on forums. At least here in Canada and also in the US iPhones, MacBooks or iPads are so widespread that the last thing people would buy them for is to own some sort of "status symbol".

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I hope so. This is where Apple could really screw themselves if they make the base SS watch too expensive. Price it right and upsell people on the nicer bands.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

not the iphone, but I would personally consider the mac and more so the imac "exclusive" feeling products.

I do not know a lot of people with imac's in their home. This could be largely b.c they have macs, but to get an imac with a SSD is a pretty hefty price hike from the base air which comes packed with a SSD

20. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I'd say they are a status symbol. But Maybe that's more in the UK.

At my university, Mac's, iPhones and iPad's are everywhere, and many have all three. But maybe that's the University I am at. I know someone at the local polytechnic, and he says they are far less common to see.

It's sad, but it's an middle vs working class thing. Many can't afford Mac's.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If looking for light weight and more comfortable, buy the Sport.

If looking for fashion exclusivity, you stop looking at products from a company that mass produces things by the millions in overseas low cost factories.

22. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

This statement does not follow the rules of logic. I'm not saying I disagree but the lack of something does not make something true.

I don't think it makes sense to have separate capacities (see other thread for the plethora of reasons) and nothing is mentioned so this helps back up my claim that there will be no separate storage sizes.

23. Dave245 macrumors 601

That would be good, at the moment I've not decided between the Sport and the SS, but i know for sure that i want more than one strap/band. I think Apple need to put a strict process in place for this because it could be chaos in store with everyone wanting to try on and then decide which Apple Watch they want and then there's accessories.

24. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Lol, wut?
    I think two things we can be CERTAIN of... the cheapest model will be the best selling. And, people will accessorize it.
    Why would people NOT buy multiple color sport bands that will be undoubtedly cheaper than the others, after purchasing themselves the Sport?
    Your logic kinda fizzled there...

25. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Apple's market share is broadly similar in the UK vs the US - 47% in the US for iPhones in December 2014, vs 42% in the UK. That isn't a big enough difference to make them a "status symbol" in the UK but not the US.

Apple have a fairly dominant (40% +) market share in North America, Australia, UK and Japan. But in other western countries like Germany, Italy, and France their share is a lot smaller (< 20%).