Retina display is overrated.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozzyman500, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

At the moment retina display is very very overrated. No developer is taking the advantage of the new display, all these blurry icons are really pissing me off. If there aren't more apps updated in about 30 days I'm seriously considering returning my iPhone 4 and getting a 3GS. I don't know if it's worth it to keep the new phone even though it has more ram. That's about the only positive so far.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Keep it. Yes, precious few games are using it so far, but just about every word of text is crisp and clear regardless of whether the developer has updated their app. If you read stuff, you want iPhone4. Four days later it's still blowing my mind.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I think the devs will eventually catch up. This is one of the reasons I was going to wait for a few months before picking up my iP4.

4. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

It's not the retina display that's over rated... the retina display is the best display on a mobile phone right now.

The problem is app developers and honestly I think something fishy is going on. It has now been 3 days since a single app that I own (and I own a lot) has been updated for the display. You're right, the apps and icons are ugly and I haven't played a single game since launch.

5. Jody macrumors regular

Really gotta save that hundred bucks eh?

Troll'd.

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

Your "opinion" makes no sense at all. You're calling the Retina display overrated when you know fully well that in order to take full advantage of it, the developers have to update their apps to it? If you simply bought iPhone 4 for the display, I suggest you return it now because you obviously don't care for it. Have you actually look at the other major features of iPhone 4 that's a big upgrade over 3GS, like the cameras?

7. mcarthon macrumors regular

If you already own the iPhone 4 it would be pointless to switch back to 3GS. Have you looked at the iphone 4 screen side by side with a 3gs? Then you will see the diff for sure.

That's just a dumb idea. They are obviously going to update them. You know how many apps there are it will take time. After 3 days you are already crying and thinking about returning for a dumb reason.

8. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

It's only been 1 weekend since the phones even came out. Give them time. Don't they all have to be reviewed by Apple first, as well? That could take a lot of time considering theres over 200,000 apps.

9. FrankieG889D macrumors member

Could care less what you do with your phone, its only been 4 days pal.

10. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I don't think it's overrated and I'm sure we'll start to see alot of apps updated for the new display. Heck, I can't even find a decent case in the store right now.

The price to pay for being an early adopter though. Not that I'm complaining. It's a treat when an app gets updated for the display!

11. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I used an iPhone 4 for a good 30 minutes today at the Apple Store. I was blown away by the quality of the Retina Display. I've been using iPod Touches since the first gen, so I'm used to the "old display. I actually said "Wow" out loud. It is probably the clearest screen I've ever used on any electronic device.

12. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you have an iPhone 4? Tell me the icons aren't blurry.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

How is it overrated? It does/is exactly what it claims.

Apps take time, as does anything with a new device. Ever bought a game system at launch? There isn't exactly a library of thousands of games when they first come out.

The only icons that are blurry are from the apps that haven't updated their icons. The stock Apple apps and folder icons are perfectly smooth and unpixelated.

14. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

This thread is ridiculous. You are basing your opinion of this amazing displayon the fact that some third party apps and icons (lol) haven't been updated for it yet?

It's not overrated, it's the best screen I've ever seen. Because I look at stuff besides icons, like the amazing pictures I've taken with it so far, web pages, bla blah

Tell ya what, just take it back since it's overrated.

Easy fix for one not easily impressed.

15. k24eg22 macrumors newbie

Retina display is sharp and alot sharper then any phone on the market. Yes the dull icons look horrible but give some time and am sure it will be fixed. Ip4 is the best! Facetime is unreal and i dont see my self getting any other phone

16. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Seriously, I will sometimes just look at my phone real quick for the time or something and just go :eek: "WHOA" and then a "Oh yeah".

17. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, the camera and the build quality is amazing. But the fact that these apps are so ****ing pixelated makes it hard very hard to use the other apps.

18. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I'm hoping for an iOS update tomorrow and new apps to follow. If Apple is indeed releasing a new update, it's very likely that devs are waiting for the new update before they release anything. If an update comes out and no apps immediately follow, I'm going to start doing some research and start emailing some devs to find out what the issue is. I don't see any reason why a simple game like Doodle Jump hasn't been updated for the display.

19. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

If you really feel the need to return your phone because you can't deal with the fact that every app hasn't been updated yet, then return it. No one's going to stop you.

20. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

This equates to the retina display being overrated how exactly?

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Patience: It's a virtue.

22. Skinfaxi macrumors member

Overrated and not yet fully supported are two entirely different ideas.

23. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I think that's because the Apple app approvers work only Monday-Friday.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Don't blame Apple, blame to developers for not updating their apps to take advantage of it!

25. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've waited since the iOS 4 keynote for the new phone. It's kind of weird that my artwork on the iPod looks amazingly clear when those are only 600x600. The app icons are 500x500 and they look pixelated to hell. I'm confused.