Retina Display Stains

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salthustle, Jul 11, 2012.

1. salthustle Guest

Hi,

So someone went ahead and used tap water to clean my screen without my knowledge today, as they had left fingerprints on it whilst i was out - its left smears and smudges all over it. Like a foggy, whitish layer over the whole screen, that is really obvious when its turned off.

This is a brand new MBP 15" Retina, how do i go about getting rid of them?

I'm really anxious they have permanently messed the screen up.

Please help!

Thanks

2. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Try some filtered water with a spash of vinegar mixed in :) (white vinegar or distilled)

3. medi.freak macrumors regular

Just take a microfiber cloth and rub the white smears away. That normally works for me.
    Don't worry, your screen is fine ;)

4. klover macrumors 6502a

It is highly unlikely that tap water would have created any permanent stain on a glass surface.

Take a soft, clean microfibre cloth and lightly wipe back and forth on a section of the "stain". I bet you it disappears.

5. salthustle thread starter Guest

I've got a micro fibre cloth and a special screen cleaner but that doesn't seem to have done anything to help :(

Water can't permanently damage it can it?!

Thanks

6. salthustle thread starter Guest

It still looks like this, now i am really worried!

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2012-07-11

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2012-07-11

7. teeejay macrumors regular

8. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Try what I have suggested to you. Typically nivegar will neutralize hard water stains. Rubbing a hard water stain with a dry microfiber is more likely to leave permanent marks. If that doesn't work a very mild plastic polish from the auto care section at walmart (like a 3m product) will remove the stains. It is a result of hard water slightly etching into the surface.

9. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I use 3M LCD screen wipes; they get most of the junk off but still leave a slight haze and smudges, like your picture shows.

A final polish with a dry microfiber towel does the trick. Then again, my MBP is an older one with the glass in front of the screen.

10. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Guys I can't see the pictures because I am at work on a government connection. But I imagine he has some hard water stains on there. screen cleaning fluids are simply nowhere near abbrassive enough to remove that. Hell, even though I would not normally advise using a little windex with amonia in it, it can't hurt to use it one time and will almost for sure remove the stains. The stains he is talking about are similiar to water spots on your car after it sits in the sun after being rained on.

11. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

+1 on the Windex. Usually, I use the Zeiss tissues you purchase at Walmart for glasses but when there's lots of smudges and fingerprints, Windex works great.

12. AlexBass macrumors regular

Surely any old 'computer cleaning kit' from amazon would work?

13. mvdb macrumors newbie

Just use standard window cleaner and a microfiber cloth. It's glass.

14. 99ta316 macrumors newbie

Best window cleaner I have ever used was told to me by a professional tint installer. 1 oz rubbing alcohol, 2 oz vinegar, 13 oz distilled water, 2-4 drops mild detergent (baby shampoo recommended, do not use dawn).

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Like Windex? Worst idea ever.

16. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

On a glassbook? no its not. Its only bad on plastics like TV screens or the average pc laptop. The stuff is made for glass.

17. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Not sure if it'll work on a comp screen, but mild dish soap is great for washing windows and stuff. Way better than even windex.

18. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Is that a bottle of windex in the picture? I've always been told to NEVER use a chemical agent on the screen, though that was largely for plastic LCD screens rather than glass. Hopefully it was just water that was used. If so, a microfibre cloth and the 'ha' method (breathing out of your mouth onto your screen) should clear that up. That's always worked for me. But if it's a chemical that's on there...different story. The rMBP doesn't use that extra layer of glass we found on the older MBPs, so I'd worry a bit about what could have happened permanently to the glass. My wife bumped her MacBook screen with fingers that had a bit of fingernail removal still on them and those marks are still there. Ate me up inside! Good luck to you!

19. salthustle thread starter Guest

Window cleaner looked like it had worked but now its dried off I don't think it has. Its still just smudged, so bizarre I really have no idea what has happened. How can just water do this?? So annoyed. Any more thoughts anyone?

----------

I'm dreading having to get the bloody screen replaced, is that possible under warranty? Or am i looking at a humungous cost?

20. MacBird macrumors 6502a

Try mild dish soap, then clear water then dry with a smooth dish towel or cotton t-shirt for that matter. Make sure there is nothing on the screen that can scratch it.

21. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Here's a question. If you weren't around to see this person 'clean' the screen, how do you know it WAS just water and not something a bit more...corrosive?

22. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

The smudging in the images you posted is insane :O

DO you live in a hard water area?
    Try a drop of something acidic on the screen, like diluted vinegar as has been suggested. It won't do anything to the glass, and you can just wipe it off. Should remove the calcium deposits.

23. blueicedj macrumors 6502

water should be fine, it's screen cleaner that's actually really bad for a lot of screens, so you might not want to use it.

24. MacBird macrumors 6502a

You mean something like Clorox?