Resolved Retina display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mtnDewFTW, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mtnDewFTW, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I really feel like the iPads NEEDS to have retina display. My iPhone screen just looks so much better than my iPad. I'm so sad and confused as to why Apple chose not to go with the retina display with this iPad. It's perfect on the iPhone, and it would be just amazing on the iPad. I'm hoping iPad 3 will have it.

Anyone else here missing the retina display?

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

It's just too expensive to produce a 'retina' screen at that size right now.

3. lionqueen macrumors 6502

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I think iP2 has a great display. Having said that, I think everything should have retina display.

5. Chopstick217 macrumors regular

Chopstick217

Having retina display will probably drastically lower the battery life.

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The iPad's display is pretty nice.

Would it be nice to have a retina display? Yes. Would it be worth it if it raised the cost $100-200? No.

I think Apple is really being aggressive on the price point and they aren't willing to put a technology in the iPad that would increase it's price right now. At $499 for the base model, that's already quite a bit of tech for the money.

7. Skika macrumors 68030

No

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Only part of your argument I agreed with right there.

9. aleni macrumors 68020

who wouldn't want a retina display in iPad? i think everybody want it. playing games on the current iPad's hardware with a retina display would be like playing Crysis 2 on 2005 computer, it just doesn't cut it.

hope we will see it on the iPad 3.

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I wish my 50 inch Plasma had a retina display.

I'm sick of seeing those pesky pixels a I press my nose to the screen. :rolleyes:

11. geko29 macrumors 6502

Because the battery life in the iP4 is so much worse than the 3GS...

12. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I would like a slightly higher resolution display on the iPad. Not necessarily 300ppi but higher than what it is now. I would pay an upgraded price too.

13. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Definitely agree that a retina display would be awesome, but I think powering a 3.5" screen at that pixel density is a lot easier then pulling off the same thing on a 9.7" screen.

An interesting read if you want to speculate why the iP2 isn't "retina"

http://www.quora.com/Why-didnt-Apple-introduce-Retina-display-in-iPad-2

The main points being more powerful hardware would be required, it might kill battery life, components would be expensive and difficult to source in the quantities Apple require etc.

14. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Sigh........

For the umpteenth time.....

You will not see them stick a 2048x1536 or higher screen in the iPad until they get a GPU capable of driving that quality display without having it look like a slideshow. That "9x faster graphics" marketing bullet point you've probably regurgitated a hundred times? Say goodbye to that when you get into screen resolutions that large if you want them to put it in now. That or be prepared to carry around a 10lb. battery to power it.

It's stunning that an article is needed to explain common sense.

15. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Seeing as Crysis 2 is like baby food for GPUs compared to Crysis 1, that analogy is quite poor.

16. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

So I assume that the OP thinks that all laptops need a 300ppi screen as well?

And we've had this discussion HOW many times over the last few months? It's not as simple as dropping a high res screen in the iPad, even if one was available at a competitive price point and in high enough volumes to meet demand. There's an extra power drain on the battery, you need a LOT more processor and GPU power to run both the OS and apps at suitable performance levels (i.e. what the iPad 2 currently achieves), more memory to handle higher resolution textures in games, etc etc. It's almost an exponential increase in requirements and nowhere near as simple as everyone seems to think.

17. 2 Owls macrumors regular

18. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

They could at least start with better anti-aliasing. The text rendering is pretty poor. I have to hold the iPad rather far away to create the illusion of clear text.

19. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Going from driving 153600 to 614400 (an increase of 460,800 pixels) is quite different then going from 786432 to 3145728 (an increase of 2,359,296 pixels).

20. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Hold it in landscape and the text is crisp and clear. ;)

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No. The iPhone 4's battery life is better than the 3GS' battery life.

22. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Do you realize how much more efficient the A4 is compared to the cortex 8 they used in the 3gs. Also the iphone 4 has a larger battery.

Exactly. Huge difference in how much GPU power would be needed as well without destroying your battery life.
    This.

23. LYFK macrumors regular

The iPad has the same pixel density as the HD 17" MacBook pro screens. Even the MacBook Air has only a slightly higher density. Although, it has a lower battery life, and a completely different set of power requirements.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density

All in all, I'm completely satisfied with the current iPad resolution. Obviously the text can be rendered sharper, but that means changing everything: all the apps need to be re-released in higher resolutions, the battery life goes down, performance drops, OR the iPad would have to increase in thickness to accommodate the proper hardware. Also, the price would likely have to come up as well.

It's not that Apple can't make the iPad 2 with a higher resolution screen, it's just that it doesn't make sense to for a lot of reasons, a big one likely being cost. Apple maintains good margins on its products and that allows them to invest heavily into R&D which is likely what makes for such compelling products as the iPad in the first place!

The retina iPad display was a wonderful and compelling rumor that even I got my hopes up for, but the nice reality is, it didn't matter as much once the product was in my hands.

24. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Sorry, but that's such an idiotic comparison.

Anyway...

I was worried about getting the iPad without the retina display.. but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought. It still IS a very good screen. But Retina will be killer on the iPad when it happens.