Retina Image Retention

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by covertash, Oct 28, 2013.

1. covertash macrumors member

I'm relatively new to Macs in general, so upon watching the keynote last week, I have been eyeing a rMBP 13" and finally went and bought one on Saturday. The size, the weight, the performance, the screen: all fantastic!

Of course, I was unaware of the issue of image retention on the Retina screens, that seem to be apparent in any model that uses the LG IPS panels. Now, this has me a little nervous - even though I do plan on buying an Applecare warranty in the coming months to fix any impending issues.

At the end of the day, just how big of an issue is image retention? Is it enough for all of you other 13" rMBP owners to trade up to a 15" for a Samsung panel, or opt for a 13" Air? Or will you just continue using your machine and go in for service when the issue arises?

2. dimme macrumors 65816

I have a new 15" and know about all the post of the issues, I really do not think it is anything to worry about. I think it effects a very small number of users. I always get apple care for laptops so so if something developes your covered.
    Enjoy you new computer.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not every LG panel, many of them perhaps, but not all. My advice is to get your mac, test it out and if its not exhibiting any such issues, then relax and enjoy it. if it is, exchange it immediately.

4. covertash thread starter macrumors member

With burn-in/IR issues like these, will Apple allow me to exchange my laptop, say, 6 months from now? Or will it be just a warranty repair where I am out of a machine for X amount of time?

5. Bergsorensen macrumors newbie

Does this only affect the 13" and NOT the 15"?

Iwe just bought the 15" model, havent received it yet - and im wondering what things i should check / look for.

Thank you.

BS

6. covertash thread starter macrumors member

As far as I know 13" are more susceptible because only LG panels are available. The 15" on the other hand has the toss up between Samsung or LG.

7. majkom macrumors 65816

it affects both, 13 nd 15 - same display technology

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've read that when people complain about this, they generally get a new (refurb) computer and not a repaired one. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I'm pretty sure I've seen more posts about replacements then repair.

I'd recommend apple care just in case, so you get an extra 2 years of warranty coverage.

9. Jeanloup macrumors regular

As you said yourself every 13" is a LG panel and every LG panel tends to exhibit IR somewhere down the road so why bother buying one ? What will Apple do when it will appear ? They will replace your screen with another LG and then it will start again until your warranty expires and then what ? You'll buy Apple Care and you will change your screen again 3 times every year until your Apple Care is over ? Lol. Just go with the Air or if you really want the retina display, buy the 15" and make sure you get a Samsung screen. Now i know soon many people are going to say "I have a 13" rmbp and it´s fine ..." Yeah ... For now. Just look at the Apple discussion forums and how many buyers from the first génération 13" rmbp are just starting experiencing IR and are now out of warranty with Apple asking them money to replace their screens ... I for sure do not want to play that game !

10. covertash thread starter macrumors member

This is true.

I will mull this over and see what my options are with the Apple store. If I go with the Air, I would do a BTO version with 8GB of RAM. Do you, or anyone else think, I can place the BTO with the store and when it arrives to just do an exchange?

11. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

It's hard to know if there is truly a problem with the new 13" having IR/burn in. I've been researching/posting extensively since launch and nobody has posted video proof. Do a quick you youtube search within the last week.

I've been pointed to the apple discussion threads where people have posted maybe 1 or 2 pictures, but they appear to be talking about the early 13" rmbp's.

It's really getting annoying to be honest, just give me some solid proof that the new computers will definitely give me IR related problems! Please:)

12. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Exactly. As far as I know, these problems were solved by LG with the Feb/13 refresh. If IR-prone retina displays still exist, they are in very small quantities.

13. covertash thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm... all good points, STiNG and johnny.

I just got off a chat session and it seems that my only discourse would be to do a full return, and then re-order a BTO Air, if I wanted an 8GB version. The only way an exchange would work is if I were to exchange for an item that was in stock (aka. the stock configurations) at the store.

I suppose it's not so bad, if (like you guys have said) there is concrete proof that image retention still exists. Still on the fence about it... :(

14. thecatalyst macrumors newbie

I ran the checkerboard IR test on my late 2013 13" rMBP, and it DID show image retention. I can try to post a video of it later tonight.

The test for anyone interested: http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

15. covertash thread starter macrumors member

Much appreciated, thank you! I will run this test later tonight as well to be sure.

16. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Just to shed some light on your subject. I bought a 15'' MBPR last december and this past month image retention has gotten extremely bad. So bad that when I go to any screen that does not show my dock i can see my dock perfect, i can see all squares from any PREVIOUSLY opened windows, and i can clearly read whatever is on the top bar when in safari....but not in safari. I just did the checker board test and holy cow its bad. I have an appointment today at Genius to file a complaint and hopeful get a Samsung panel.

This is a very big disappointment to say the least. I absolutely love this laptop but I have had so many issues in the first year I am very disappointed with apple. I spent $2300 on something that has continuous problems and now I have to drive once again 45 min to SEE if the Apple employees will honor the warranty.

Will let you know what happens but IMAGE RETENTION is very real on this product and it SUCKS.

17. iWeekend macrumors regular

I ran that very test last night here on my newly purchased 13" last night ... no retention. I'll repeat tonight.

18. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Exchange it immediately. I did not and it got worse and worse. Over time the image retention became so bad that I could barely see my new Window over the old one. Apple didn't have any trouble replacing the screen, but they won't exchange a whole new computer 6 months later. I specifically asked them for a Samsung panel. :)

19. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

The video would be great! You would be the first person with video proof that I've found. If you can do this please include the macbook information on the screen to show it is the new 13" so it doesn't leave any doubt. Thank you again.

20. abemonkey macrumors member

I've been waiting for Haswells and was just about to pull the trigger on a 15" MacBook Pro. Needless to say this thread has me pretty concerned. How do you determine if your computer has a Samsung or LG display? I was about to order a 15 inch speced out and fork out the extra cash. Maybe I could specifically request a Samsung display in the order somehow?

21. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

With the maxed 15's people are reporting mainly Samsung displays. Also those models are the only versions you can run the terminal command on to find the display manufacturer. According to other posts Apple has disabled being able to find this information on the base 15's and all 13's.

22. abemonkey macrumors member

Great! Thanks!

23. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

FUD, it's been proven that it is ALL LG panels. The thread was epic long and nothing ever happened. Your only choice to fix this was to get a Samsung panel.

Everyone who got their LG's at first said "yeah no issues guise" and then 2 months later, "yep I got me some image retention".

Apple has been hit or miss with this, they created a test to help detect it but it doesn't really reflect fully whats going on unless your image retention is SUPER bad.

If you got an LG panel, just swap the laptop till you get a Samsung...That or wait and see if apple would be willing to just do a screen replacement.

This is not a "minor issue", everyone with an LG panel got this issue and that is a LOT of people...

There's a reason why the replacement panel is Samsung.

24. Jeanloup macrumors regular

Yeah and btw the screenshot posted on Apple Forums is not from previous generation. The author said it´s from a brand new 13" rmbp. Every single one of them will have IR because all 13" are LG. The 13" is a NO BUY. If you do you WILL regret it later but hey call me a liar and see for yourself ...

25. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Please refer to my post here. Please if you can produce and or find video proof with someone having a new 13" (showing the specs on screen to prove it's the haswell) and post it back here it would be much appreciated. People cannot go off of screen shots.