Retina MacBook Pro June refresh GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxskorpion88xx, Mar 10, 2013.

1. xxskorpion88xx, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

xxskorpion88xx macrumors member

Hi guys
    How many chance are there that the new rmbp that would refreshed in late June and will come with haswell, will even have a refreshed GPU?

Considering that at ces 2013 Samsung has shown chronos ultra book refresh with an ati8870m on board. Yes on an ultra book a powerful GPU like that that is 70% faster that 650m of rmbp

Actually with mbrp on mists of pandaren setting ultra and 2880x1800 you had 20fps with a CPU that touch 100C
    When haswll hits it will give 10% speed (2-3fps more) increase and better energy control that summed with a 8870m (if will be a refresh) will give other 7-9 fps for a total of 30fps leading the game in a good pleability with a CPU that I hope will touch 85C not more.

Is this possible? No one talking about GPU refresh :(

2. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Not very likely.
    August-Sept. is a better timeframe for Haswell and a decent GPU in a MBP.

3. xxskorpion88xx thread starter macrumors member

Apple has scheduled the refresh for late June during his meeting.
    I doubt they will refresh an other time one or two months later
    Consider that haswell is planned to launch on 28 May.
    For sure in the refresh of late June mid July it will have haswell.. The point is GPU? If they will still have 650m I will never consider to buy one of that

4. MacKid macrumors 6502

The GPU is always updated in a MacBook Pro refresh. No one's talking about it because it is a given.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The GPU will almost certainly be updated, but don't expect a different class of GPU. They will pick the latest GPU that has the same thermal requirements as the 650m.

6. xxskorpion88xx thread starter macrumors member

You make me happy macKid

Will be updated with a base GPU choice or an optional?
    Moreover..can the next GPU switch to amd?8850m or 8870m
    Or is more probable that will we see same Kepler core on that? Ofc if they put on refresh 660m that has the same performance of 650m.........for upgrade I can consider only 665m 670m 675m (nvidia side) accepting that nvidia won't refresh with new Maxwell mobile until 2014

Just one time and just before retina come out macbook pro used Amd Ati GPU

What do you think? what s more likely?

----------

I Don t know thermal requirements of 650m but all I can say is that 8850m drain 100w and that Samsung was been able to fit a more powerful 8870m into ultrabook..
    I hope this will shake apple!

7. Stetrain, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

Stetrain macrumors 68040

The GT650M has a TDP of 45W:

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GT+650M/review

Apparently NVidia is supposed to release an updated set of the Kepler mobile GPUs in April, so we might see something like a GT 750M or 760M.

That Samsung 7 Series Chronos is 5.18 pounds and 0.82" thick, compared to the rMBP which is 4.46 pounds and 0.71" thick, so that same GPU might be pushing the cooling limits.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

1. The GPU is not the problem. It is a software problem.
    2. 10 % increase is the increase you will see in single thread integer calculations (not likely in optimized applications). SSE & AVX (vectorized) code is up to 50 percent faster, compared to Ivy Bridge.
    3. The Haswell Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP) is ≈ 50 percent faster, compared to the Ivy Bridge IGP.

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

10. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Apple has definitely not publicly scheduled a refresh. They never do that and never will. When they upgrade to Haswell is anyone's guess.

If Apple sticks to the usual pattern, it will be at least ~1 month after Intel's release, so early July perhaps. It's also possible the refresh won't come until August or September, so be prepared to possibly wait quite a while.

June is the earliest possible date, September-October the latest.

11. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

You're wrong. They do noy update the GPU every time.. Look at the latest refresh of mbpr

12. MacKid macrumors 6502

The latest was a price drop and a token processor bump - likely because the new processors were ones Intel simply had more of. Making RAM cheaper and +0.1 GHz (with a 25% reduction in cache, mind you) does not qualify as a "refresh" of the line.

They are, however, considering it a new revision, and you should take that literally. They used this as an opportunity to clear up most (though definitely not all) of the launch bugs.

13. Serban Suspended

The 650M is a performant graphic card..is in midle range high end. So for 1080p it is perfect. But for native retina macbooks yea i think they must have something like 675mx Geforce. But who needs that? Only for gaming yes..but even for that only kids wants to play higher than 1080p

14. leman macrumors 604

Just a few remarks: the Chronos laptop in question is a 17" model weighting 2.8kg which I wouldn't call an ultrabook by any stretch of imagination - and the TDP of 8870M is significantly higher than that of 650M. I don't see any chance of card like that getting into the rMBP, which already operates on the limits of its thermal specification under load. A GPU with 45/50W is the absolute maximum of what rMBP can take.

15. xxskorpion88xx thread starter macrumors member

is15 inches ...with a 100w GPU card
    The dimensions are quite the same of rmbp

16. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

hawell is not planned to launch on 28 may, not on notebooks at least
    Maxwell is only going to be in 2014, all gpus that have been announced from nvidia for the mobile refresh are: 0

There are no talks about any, only the 780m, which could well be a rehash of the 680mx (which for now only comes in the imac 27)

in all probability they are going to rebadge everything like they usually do

I hope they dont use nvidia again, their kepler is just abysmal for people that are professionally using any image and video editing software.

8870m is just a rehash of the 7870m, which guess what is their TDP? 45w

They actually do, every year they do a change in gpu and cpu. The minor spec bump from the midlife shelf of that version of the mb are to reflect the gains of production and quality from intel in their making new cpus, This year has been different with some internal changes being made

the TDP of the 8870m is 45w.

you guys mistake power consumption and Thermal Design Power (TDP), one can or cannot have the same number of the order, but they dont are the same thing. Also 100w is the power of the entire notebook. And there is a 15'' chronos with the 8870m

As usual samsung in all their models they have a problem with the machine, and in this one they are suffering from throttling issues, some of it points out to the BIOS (the temps of the throttling for the gpu are indeed low 70c) and others to power consumption VS power provided, 90w psus for those kind of pcs is absurd, they should pack 120w ones.

17. xxskorpion88xx thread starter macrumors member

So you think could be possibile have 8870m or 8850m on next rmbp?
    If they will use a rebranded GPU series 6xx nVidia i won t buy it

18. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

I think apple should create a gammer edition mac. you know, like with dual video card in sli or crossfire configuration and all. I bet that will sell like hot cakes.:D

19. xxskorpion88xx thread starter macrumors member

Do not trolling
    With a rmbp you should at least play with retina display that you ha ve bought

20. puelocesar macrumors member

It's a difficult balance to keep here. I want to buy a rMBP because it's light and thin. I also like gaming, so an update on it's graphics card would be very nice, but only if it doesn't increases it's weight and power consumption.

Also, is there any of these ultrabooks, with good graphics card that run well a Hackintosh? I moved away from hackintosh a couple of years ago when I bought my first macs, but sometimes I feel limited by Apple hardware in terms of specs.

21. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

there is a large probability that nvidia might rebrand the whole thing, they at least do partial rebrands every year

For example the 300m series was rebranded into 400m, 500m and 600m (they ranged from 455m to the 635m), in the 600m series like the 500m they rebranded their high end gpus, like the 485m, 580m, 675m, they are the same gpu

AMD rebranded the 7870m into the 8870m, it has the power of the 670m, at 45w, apple shouldve started 2012 with that

22. leman macrumors 604

You are right! Sorry, I looked at older press releases. It is indeed impressive that Samsung was able to pack all that hardware into 15" body!

----------

Could you provide a link on that? I was not able to find any official data on the TDP on this card.

23. xxskorpion88xx thread starter macrumors member

Keep in mind that that is no a simplex re brand like nVidia side..There si great performance increase...see review

24. bill-p macrumors 65816

It's likely, but there are a few problems that prevent the 8870M or even a re-branded 600M series to make it into a Haswell rMBP:

1) Haswell increases TDP over Ivy Bridge, because the faster integrated GPU needs to consume more power, which leads to more heat. In essence, Haswell increases CPU (and integrated GPU) performance, but at the cost of more heat. Apple will have to play the balance game even more delicately.

2) 600M series is already causing throttling issues with the current rMBP, so chances are that the current super thin design isn't even enough to contain a 45W GPU. Add more heat from the CPU on top of that and you have quite a formula for disaster

3) There is no mention of 8000 series drivers in OSX so far, but there are mentions of 7000 series. so chances are... we'll see 7870M or 7850M instead.

With all of that said, I think the 7850M or 8850M are more likely candidates for the next GPU. Apple has never aggressively pushed graphics performance of their laptops, and it would be silly for them to add so many space heating components into the next rMBP... considering the chassis can't take that much heat to begin with.

The 7850M is not bad, per se. It's about on par with the 660M, which means it is more or less on par with the current 650M in the rMBP (it's overclocked).

And it's not the GPU that's holding the rMBP back from reaching higher resolutions. It's actually VRAM that's the limiting factor. 1GB is barely enough for 1920 x 1080 for some games.

Skyrim is especially bad when you plug high-res textures in.

25. xxskorpion88xx thread starter macrumors member

Just 2 things:
    Haswell is done not to increasing performance but to optimize energy. Aiding this target it will promise longer battery life 70% more even with a 2.7ghz boosted 3.7ghz base mobile model haswell.
    Theotically this thing make possible lowering heat CPU side

Is a fake GPU upgrading if they will put series 7000m ati model..if thay do that..they will have lost a potential acquired (me)

At least considering Samsung example I want 8850m..the driver on board on macos let we hope considering thay series 8000 m is a powerful upgrade of series 7000 m

PS:8850m and 8870 are 2gb vram