Retina MacBook Pro or Classic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by touchu4g, Mar 16, 2013.

1. touchu4g macrumors member

Hi. I got a Classic MacBook Pro 13" last week. After getting the MacBook Pro, I have been seeing posts about the Retina MacBook Pro better than the Classic MacBook Pro. I have been worried that the Classic MacBook Pro would be outdated soon and will be discontinued. So I am wondering if the 13" Retina MacBook Pro is worth the money or not? I still have another week till I can exchange it for a Retina.

I am a high school student.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Depends on your needs/desire & budget.

The base 13" rMBP is now more reasonable - was $500 more a couple weeks ago.

3. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

I would be using the laptop for school, music, movies and occasionally some video and photo editing. I would need at least 250GB of storage.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If you can get away with 256GB storage and the extra $300 go retina - if not classic. It will last as long as the retina.

5. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

Okay. I heard that SSD storage don't last long as HDD. Is that true?

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

For your uses, the cMBP is fine. But do you WANT the retina? If you do, that is also a valid reason to get it, because you should like your computer. The retina has a few problems now, but if you can wait for the next school year,there should be a new gen out with some changes. And...if you need it now, and you are in the US, you can get the last gen retina with 256 GB for $1515 on Amazon (you will lose a 2.6 GHz processor for a 2.5, but you will not miss it). I say if you want the retina, go for it!

7. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I might wait until a next retina laptop comes out. For now il use the CMBP

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

Current SSD technology is on par with spindle drives and the really good SSD drives like the Samsung Pro's are designed for ultra reliability. You should get many years of good use from a SSD drive.

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Also, an SSD has no moving parts, so it is even more durable. However, it has a limited number of writes to the drive, but that is fine for an average consumer (lasts about 10 years).

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Retina > Non Retina in every aspect but 1, user upgradability.

11. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

Why do you think retina will be better for me? I'm getting mixed answers from people; some saying retina and others saying the classic.

12. B... macrumors 68000

B...

People will say the classic because you can switch the RAM and HDD later on. In the retina, you can change the SSD (from OWC) but not the RAM. If you would not add more RAM later on, you want the retina and can afford it, definitely get it. Other than the lack of a Superdrive and non upgradeable RAM, there is no reason not to get it.

13. majkom macrumors 65816

Oh god, if I could get retina 256 gb for only 1500 usd, i wozld go for it, nobrainer;(

14. B... macrumors 68000

B...

If you are in the US, the late 2012 13" 256GB rMBP is $1515 new from Amazon!

15. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I agree with this 100%. Of course I would say that having just bought one.
    I am very happy with my new 13 inch rMBP with 256 gb SSD and 8gb ram with 2.5 HGz processor. The price seems very fair to me and I have no need for the extra performance provided with a faster processor, more ram, or more storage space.

I think for you being still in H.S. the computer you have is wonderful and will meet your needs for a good long time. But, if you have some extra money to burn this is a good time to pick up the $1500 rMBP 13. Either way you will be well served.

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

You sure have a lot of budget for a high school student.

With that said, since you didn't tell us what you actually use your computer for, it's impossible for us to say which is the better buy.

That's like coming on a car forum, and asking: Which is better for me, a civic or a chevy truck? And leaving it at that. Nobody can answer.

17. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Do you guys think that Apple will eventually make the rMBP user upgradable?

I've been rocking a 5 year old Mac and parts are staring to fail on me so I need an upgrade but the lack of user upgradability it's holding me back on the retina.

18. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. Thinner means less upgradability, because allowing you to upgrade would inherently means there's actually room to work inside the computer.

19. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Not more than it is now. Apple is moving towards not upgradeble items (MBA, rMBP).

20. majkom macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, I am in Europe, to get 256 SSD rMBP 13 I would have to spend 2200 USD :(

21. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

This thread will more likely than not turn into a massive debate and possibly a flame war.

But to answer your question, the cMBP will not be "outdated" the way you think it will. It's still very powerful and should be able to handle your needs.

Now obviously, if it's within your budget to pay a few hundred more for a rMBP, then do it.

That being said, make sure to buy 16GB RAM in it ahead of time as you will *not* be able to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB down the road (it's soldered in).

22. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I still stay Retina lol.

----------

All ^ his points are valid too.

23. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

The display on the cMBP is not nearly as sharp or defined as my 2009 MBP. I bought one 6 months ago, returned it and returned its replacement. It seems that with the release of the Retina they dumbed down the cMBP. A HUGE difference from the 4 yr old MBP that I have. Add that to the no SSD, the heavier body and inferior speakers and there's only one way to go. rMBP 2nd generation with a Haswell chip that isn't defective in regards to the USB 3.0. Looks like I have a long wait ahead of me. Maybe as much as 9 months or more

24. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Are saying they intentionally made the cMBP screen worse than it used to be? And what USB 3.0 defect are you talking about? Any source regarding this defect?