Retina Macbook Pro owners: Are you happy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonedoes, Oct 11, 2012.

1. iphonedoes macrumors newbie

I'm finally financially able to buy my first nice laptop. I currently have a 2009 Macbook that's getting a bit slow on me. I will likely go with the rMBP, but I've heard about a lot of issues with the display. Ghosting issues, random white spots, web pages looking bad, a lot of apps aren't retina ready... I just want to make sure that I'm getting an excellent laptop for this kind of money.

So, would you suggest going with it?

2. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Like I said in the other forum...I would buy now or end of this year the RMBP even when HASWELL comes out next year March-July 2013 it will have problems of its own. Every new laptop will have issues there is no work around it. Everyone will jump on it and then complain later...this is how it goes...be happy with what you got in life...

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

I'm on Macbook Pro #... um... hm.. I can't remember actually. It's at least the fourth or fifth one. This Retina one is by far the best of the bunch. No questions asked. I have the SwitchResX preference panel installed (the pay-for version) so that I can drive the display at 2880x1800. Everything just looks... fantastic.

No regrets, no wishing I'd purchased a non-Retina, etc. In fact, I just started a new job and they gave me a brand new (2012) non-Retina MBP with the high-res matte display. So I can actually actively compare the two; the Retina MBP is just ... I dunno... nicer. In fact I wish there was some why to install work's VPN system on my private laptop so I could use it instead of the one they gave me. :)

jas

5. Michason macrumors newbie

I've never been so satisfied when buying a new laptop before. It's only the price that bumps me in the back sometimes when I look at it.

I also have no problems with the screen. It's the minority speaking up and the satisfied staying quiet.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

If price is not an issue and you really want the rMBP for the screen, thinness, or whatever reason that is compelling you then I say go for it. If you are on the fence, go to a store (Apple or Best Buy) and take a look at both in person... That's what did it for me.

There is always a chance that you can get a product that has issues or is flawed in some way and as the consumer you have the ability to return/exchange. Also keep in the mind that the complaints here only represent a small % of rMBP owners.

7. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

8. dipm06 macrumors member

I have a trackpad issue with mine. Performance is awesome though. If my replacement comes in without any issue, I'mm be extremely happy.

9. pikkashoe macrumors regular

10. CarcinogenX macrumors member

WARNING!!

The day after I bought my rMBP, I experienced severe erectile disfunction.
    My doctor said it has something to do with the retina's screen connection and possibly Bluetooth 4.0.

For the love of god man......it is cursed, don't buy one!!

11. kgs macrumors regular

Very happy with mine. Though I have a few little minor issues.

* If I leave my Mini Display Port to DVI adapter plugged in overnight I often open the lid in the morning and the laptop is on with the fans at a medium clip. Unfortunately the displays do not light up and I have to hard reset the laptop to get control back

* There is a bigger issue with typing text. Often I see it in Safari 6. Basically, in the middle of typing I find that the text blinks, appearing, disappearing and reappearing after every other letter typed. It's annoying but it's a software bug that will hopefully be fixed.

Both of these are software issues (I think the MDP->DVI thing is also a firmware issue) so should be able to be fixed.

Otherwise, I have no complaints about this laptop. I do love my late 2010 MacBook Air too. This is quite a bit more powerful though :) The Air clearly wins on weight and size.

12. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

It's not without one or two quibbles (isn't everything) but I've had no image retention problems, the screen is just beyond stunning, and it's the best laptop I've ever used by a significant margin. I'm extremely satisfied, and I would consider myself fairly hard to please.

13. AirThis macrumors 6502a

My only minor complaint concerns the screen. It has a yellowish tint that's not uniform. The default color profile doesn't really show the lack of uniformity. Everthing just looks yellowish. It's when I try to make a custom profile that I can see the disparity. The bottom half of the screen is yellowish whereas the top has whites that are more authentic. I'm not going to swap the machine though. Others have reported severe IR problems on Apple's web site and I'm not in the mood for playing the LCD lottery game. I've got a Samsung and I'm keeping it.
    Other than that, I'm happy.

14. rgr555 macrumors 6502

its the best. of course i am happy.
    its amazing how much power it has at 4.4 pounds

15. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I've had mine for a little over a week and am very happy so far. I haven't had any issues with my screen (LG) in terms of image retention or any dead pixels. I've used it for work doing after effects rendering (with raytracing) and while not as fast as my PC desktop with a GTX570 for CUDA processing(raytracing) it is probably 70-80% as fast to render, my guess is it is even faster than my early generation i7 920 for non-raytracing rendering.

I use adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and it looks stunning on the retina screen(it is optimized for it), the rest of the adobe suite still looks really good(I run at the 1920x1200 equivalent mode) and look forward to them being updated for retina native in future CS6 updates.

The SSD is ridiculously fast too, faster than anything I've had before raid or single drive.

16. stevelam macrumors 65816

Anyone who has actually used the RMBP would never say the non-retina adobe apps look "really good", even at 1900x1200 where performance significantly drops to the point where just panning around large psds slow to a halt.

17. leman macrumors 604

18. teeejay macrumors regular

I have to say, that I am extremely happy with my MBPr, not any problems whatsoever yet.

HOWEVER I agreed with my friend, that Retina screen is really wonderful, but it is not really necessary.

19. Conformium macrumors newbie

MBP Retina is a very, very good machine

Bought mine on day 3 after release. Not a problem so far. Fast. Retina screen is really unbelievable. You will not regret buying the retina version. I've owned many laptops and nothing comes close.

20. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I agree and I have owned quite a few. It's a powerhouse in such a small frame.

21. agaskew macrumors 6502

It is utterly fantastic.

In the words of Ferris Bueller: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

22. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

My first laptop and definitely the best computer I have ever owned. I doubt I will ever buy a desktop again. The rMBP is a fantastic machine. :)

23. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Easily the best laptop I've ever owned or used. Burns through workloads and handles heavy lifting with aplomb. The screen is game-changing, text legibility is amazing and being able to effortlessly switch across resolutions is wonderful. Machine stays considerably cooler than my previous MBPs for similar workloads and the weight/size to computing power ratio is stellar. Works well even for apps that have yet to be updated to retina-ready. First laptop I've owned that I'll listen to music on when my wifi connector isn't nearby, speakers substantially better than my previous MBP. I use ethernet and firewire regularly, and the adapters are easy to use and well-worth trading for the slim chassis (both firewire800 and RJ45 ethernet connectors are taller than the new chassis height!!!). Upgradability is not an issue for me (as someone who upgraded everything on his previous MBP) as this machine with 16GB will last well for its lifetime powerwise.

Problems have been wifi interference at 2.4GHz with bluetooth devices (much worse than my previous MBP, forced me to use a 5GHz band router), and I'm upset they removed the infrared port so I can't use the Apple Remote, there was no technical reason; just Apple being Apple.

24. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I just bought an rMBP and am extremely satisfied! I had a 17" Mid-2009 MacBook Pro before that and like yours, it was starting to show its age.

I definitely don't regret getting the rMBP. Now I'm able to convert movies in 15 minutes (compared to the hour it'd take on my old MBP) and boot time has gone from 2 minutes to 14.5 seconds thanks to the SSD. I couldn't be happier.

25. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yes, no issues with my Retina, best solution on the market for strong performance matched with portability