Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdad123, Jun 26, 2012.

1. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

How do u know you are not damaging your hardware by doing this?

I over clocked my 2009 core 2 duo GPU and saw it months afterward begin to overheat regularly in bootcamp to the point of sudden shutdown...

Heat isn't really the only obstacle to avoid, a high enough voltage can short a circuit.

Good luck anyway... u r a trailblazer.

2. asdad123, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

I won't be running these clocks even during gaming. The stock 650m is enough for me lol. I just wanted to see how high it can go :)

edit: Added Crysis 2 and Crysis Warhead benchmarks at 1200/1654.

3. Aftershocker macrumors member

Has anybody tried "lubbo's fan control", or any other dedicated fan control program to see if it works with the retina macbook? Could be useful to try and bring down temps.

4. Centsy macrumors regular

So how did you get those clocks? I can't get mine to go past 1125/2400 without crashing the display driver. Even if I downclock the memory to 1600, I still have trouble getting the core clock to 1200.

5. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

Not all graphics cards are the same. Some are good over clockers while others may not be.

Seems like your core limit is at 1125.

6. Callumbear845 macrumors member

Would it be possible for you to do some battlefield 3 benchmarks? That is the game I am most interested in trying out.

7. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

Wow this is a great thread. :apple:

A few questions..Does anyone know if this is possible on OS X?

Bootcamp drivers out for Retina MBP? Just got my*notification email for my rMBP and boot camp is something I want to do as soon as I get mine.

8. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately I do not own Battlefield 3. Sorry.

9. ibebyi macrumors member

hello,

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I was wondering how you were overclocking your 650m in the first place? I have a nonretina mbp w 650m 1gb with 304.48 beta drivers, but neither Msi afterburner nor nvidia inspector are allowing me to overclock? in Msi the slider stops at 530 core and in nvidia inspector I can't even adjust the sliders (greyed out). can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? thanks!

10. dekka007 macrumors member

How about a little Arctic Silver 3 replacement on the rMBP.

Did it on my last i7 quad MBP - temps dropped 7-8c. Apple had caked the Graphics and CPU in thermal paste.

11. Fatt macrumors member

Really should stay away from arctic silver this day and age, it's really quite obsolete thermally and has a long break in time. On top of that it's conductive, and can cause some serious problems if you get it on your board. All the good TIM these days are non-conductive and non-capacitive. A good all around paste is arctic cooling MX-4, easy to apply and is within a degree or two of the more expensive stuff. Shin-etsu is my favorite TIM, but being quite viscous I'm not sure I'd recommended it to the non-technical user for applying it to a bare die like you find in laptops.

On topic, kepler is one hell of an architecture capable of some amazing clocks. My 670s max out at 1292mhz in SLI on air cooling with load temps around 70c on my top card. That being said though, these GPUs seem to be running mighty hot with apple's cooling system, I doubt I'll be OCing my rMBP when I get mine, even after I replace the TIM on day one. Thanks for the results though, very interesting!

12. awesomator macrumors regular

Wow i didn't know the rmbp came with the 650 slightly above factory clocks. That is tight!

13. rd3av5 macrumors newbie

Hmmm...

Hey asdad123-

I have everything working great with new drivers (304.79) and I downloaded Nvidia Inspector. However, when I make a custom .bat file or enter the code in the CMD line using nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,1 or even the 0,2 it never updates the program and I have never been able to access the P2 state to change my clocks. Had any trouble with this or ideas on how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

14. magbarn macrumors 68000

I've never gotten that program to work on boot up either. I was thinking..., given the usual time of development of new graphics chips, the 2013 rMBP is only going to be mostly faster CPU and igpu wise. Next years graphics chips are only going to faster clocked versions of what we have now. Given tsmc's (they pretty much make all the high end gpus) poor track record on new processes,it's going to be 2014 before we see 20nm gpus in a high quantity.

15. dssence macrumors newbie

Hi asdad I'm really worried cause I was about thinking on buying an MD104 which is pretty same the same macbook but without retina and SSD.
    I need to know if there's any way to change fan speed on win7 with bootcamp. It's not acceptable temps of 100 C ! on the CPU at full LOAD , I can tell you that solder joints will start to break.. and you will end up doing a reflow on the whole motherboard, it's not acceptable by no means.
    I need to know if you have any temperature monitoring apps like AIDA or Hwinfo to know temps are being detected properly on the cpu die. It's really important for me cause I was going to decide myself on this laptop or an asus G75 but when I've seen the core clocks of the 650M on this MBP I was impressed. So please please.. I need to know if you're using some app to control fan speed. if fan speed is notworking properly as load increased and heat increases.. your cpu solder will break.. and you will have to reflow the board . I need to seriously talk to you.. add me on my msn it's daaudiome@hotmail.com thanks
    By the way any of you guys with a rMBP please add me on msn cause I really need to talk with you about load temps on bootcamp.. and know if you're also having 100C while on stress load on cpu eiher with prime or some other cpu stress app.. by no means this is acceptable as I said before i've been doing lot's of reflow on xbox and other laptops cause of this bad heating and heatpipes not discipating properly, and worse enoguh as solder on these laptops are Rohs compliant.. the have lower melting point.. so if you stress cpu at this temps solders will break.. and will definitely need a reball. I was gong to buy a MD104 and wanted to game on bootcamp I was in between a macbook MD104 or an Asus G75VW and now I don't know what to do cause the asus doesn't come with thunderbolt DAMN!:(

16. goldsaint macrumors member

gt650m

Hi all,
    can somebody write a guide on how to OC a GT650M on the retina ?
    (Like a noob guide)

i can't figure out how to OC even by reading this thread in every details.:)

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Would be nice. Would also be nice to have a safe link to nvidia inspector...I just tried to download it and it installed a bunch of malware and virus crap, had to wipe bootcamp...starting over. I hate windows.

18. pooprscooper macrumors regular

Just use MSI Afterburner and enable unofficial overclocking:

edit MSIAfterburner.cfg from the installation directory

Explained here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

can you provide a safe link to download these tools?

20. pooprscooper macrumors regular

21. gentlefury macrumors 68030

22. goldsaint macrumors member

thats what i did with the .cfg file. but msi still showing +10%.. etc (in %, not 900Mhz). so i can't tell what i am OCing

any advices ?

23. pooprscooper macrumors regular

The right side panel should give you absolute readings of clock speed/memory/fan/etc. Or if you enable the OSD you should see it in the overlay of any 3D app. The included MSI Kombuster would work with the OSD, just click the "K".

24. goldsaint macrumors member

Thanks for your answer but i still see % and temps on the right side panel. i am sure i am missing something but cant tell what it is.

25. pooprscooper macrumors regular

Ok, enable the OSD and launch MSI Kombuster to test it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]