Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdad123, Jun 26, 2012.

1. goldsaint macrumors member

i did enable ocd everywhere but i still see %

there is nothing easy like ati tray tools where you can just play with the numbers, apply the settings and that's it ?

2. pooprscooper macrumors regular

The OSD displays the exact megahertz frequency. Look in the top left of that picture.

3. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Coming from an early '11 model with the 6750m, I was able to squeeze a stable 33% overclock.. which was always running in an overclocked state for the nearly a year of ownership. The only game that didn't like my overclock was Skyrim.. but everything else ran stable with no ill-effects was fine.

To the OP getting 27% overclocking and stable.. not bad.. was hoping for at least 33% which is always my target number when I tune video cards. Granted, not all ceilings are equal among the crop.. some GPUs do better than others.. Needless to say, a solid 15% should be manageable by all people (here's hoping).

Now, I don't have a Retina model - I picked up a regular 2012 cMBP 2.6ghz with the 1gb VRAM model.

I'm hoping to achieve the same as you Retina people.. I am hoping Apple didn't put in better binned GPUs for the Retina model and gave the worse performing 650M's to the cMBP.

Crossing my fingers and will report back.

4. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Are you using the stock Nvidia drivers provided by Apple for bootcamp or using some re-packaged newer ones?

5. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I don't know about you, but my MSI Afterburner doesn't let me change anything.. it thinks i'm at 405mhz but the meter on the right shows i'm hitting 775mhz when running Kombuster.

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

The same thing happens to me. I am using a cMBP $2200 model. I just want to OC this GT 650M to the rMBP 650M's clocks.

Here is how it looks like to me:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6582/capturegkz.png

7. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

Guess I should update that number lol. Since I was able to pass the +135 limit using nvidia inspector after my original post, my 3dmark11 score jumped up to 3200ish, so my final stable overclock is about 44%

Stock drivers that installed with bootcamp

8. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Could you also try OC with the 304.79 Beta dirvers?

9. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I'm not sure how the cMBP is any different to the rMBP as far as the way MSI Afterburner would see these GPUs any differently.. Notably mine's clocked at 775mhz core and 2000mhz memory.. whereas yours is 900/21xx (can't remember).

MSI Afterburner is looking at medium-speed settings (the 405mhz to 530mhz) area.. I can't get it to see the high speed clocks for adjusting.

So right now i'm stuck at only being able to change the medium profile from 405mhz to 530mhz max. But under load it switches to 775/2000mhz.

Maybe it's my version of Afterburner? I'm using the latest and greatest beta (hoping it would have better support for our GPUs).

----------

Mine looks just like yours.. The issue is that we're both seeing the "middle" speed clocks, not the performance clocks.. Once we can get the app to see the higher end clocks, we'll be fine. I just don't understand how people with Retinas can see these clocks and we can't.. same damn GPU!

10. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

My stock 3dmark11 score is inline with your stock Retina score at P2274.

I'm assuming you ran the basic version which limits the resolution to 1280x800 or whatever it was?

11. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I figured out how to overclock the cMBP using nvidiainspector.. you have to use all command line to manually change the clocks.. and it works. I got to "Retina" clocks 900/2200 with ease.. staying under 90c. Now to see how far I can push it.

12. Diversion, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Going strong.. 83c temps at 1000/2800.. Seems hotter than the OP's temps.. I guess the Retina does have some kind of crazy cooling system!

I'm hoping to prove that the cMBP has a higher graphics overclocking ceiling.

Edit: 1100mhz core stable.. I froze up trying 1150mhz. Incrementing slowly past 1100 to see what the ceiling is.

Seems like the GPU starts to throttle back to 675mhz for 1 second then back to 1100.. does this every 5 seconds or so.. I'm thinking it must be the GPU temps causing this.

Video memory is stable at about 1700mhz.. Can't get much past this before artifacts start to show up.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

Can you please share the command lines.

Thanks in advance.

Also did you mess with the voltage when you OCed to rMBP 650M speeds?

14. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I'll share the command lines once i've figured out the exact order in which I did this in.. I tried getting the voltage to change via nvidiainspector but it's not letting me change it.. I'm assuming the firmware has voltage modification completely blocked. I think this is a non-issue for the most part.. but if it's possible, we could get temps to come down while maintaining a respectable safe overclock.

15. taedouni macrumors 65816

Were you able to fix MSI AB so that it shows performance clocks (instead of mid level)?

16. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Nope, you have to use nvidiainspector via command line to change the clocks... it's easy though.

17. taedouni, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

taedouni macrumors 65816

If anyone is interested open CMD.
    navigate to the directory in which the exe is located.

Enter the following command:
    nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,135 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setGpuClock:0,2,900 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2508 -forcepstate:0,2

I didn't touch the voltage. That should set you to Retina MBP 650M speed; which are 900mhz core and 1254mhz memory

Edit: When you open CMD make sure to run as administrator

18. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Looks like you figured out the method i'm using... that pretty sums up how you overclock the cMBP at least. I'm not sure what the -setmemoryclockoffset or the -setbaseclockoffset.. Neither were needed for me to achieve overclocks.

19. taedouni macrumors 65816

Ya i'm not really sure either. I just copied and pasted from the link that the OP posted and made modifications. For me everything is fixed so the offsets don't really benefit me. I think they are used if I made .bat files in the same directory as the guy in the link that the OP used.

20. taedouni macrumors 65816

So the only downfall is that when I restart the OCed settings go away.

21. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

That's the case for everybody.. there's no way to hard-code the settings.. It would have to be done via the GPU's firmware... You can just create a batch file to run the setting on boot so it starts with Windows.

22. Centsy macrumors regular

Nah, it's not just the retina. I have the base rMBP and I'm in the same boat as you. 1100/2500 is my stable OC. I even repasted to drop my temps a little bit. Either the OP is doing something different than us, or his MBP is very unique!

23. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I'm approaching 1100mhz stable.. Good enough for me, as long as the cMBP can achieve same results as the retina i'd rather save the extra $700 from not getting a retina.

24. kurayami88 macrumors newbie

what/who's OP?

and so... think it's good to OC or just to test the limits?

25. hellstorm12345 macrumors newbie

Is there a difference between the P1 and P5 power states? I can lock my GPU in the P5 state through the .bat method and it seems like it overclocks as well as the P1. My stable overclock seems to be around 1070 Mhz / 2900 Mhz memory. After it goes above 80c, it does seems like the computer throttles itself every few minutes.