Retina Pro for 1850. Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theturtle, Aug 24, 2012.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Someone on CL is selling their brand new retina macbook pro base for 1850. Still sealed. He said he won it in a contest so he was willing to work down from his original price of 1950. Any thoughts? Bite or no?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I'd be cautious about meeting someone with almost $2000 in cash.

I can see the price going down to $1800 if the guy wanted the cash badly enough. However, if it was me, I'd hold out closer to retail.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Take someone with you, or two to the meeting spot. Also, make it a public place, like a cafe, or mall. Don't take secluded areas as a place to make the transaction.

Also, make sure it is sealed if the seller is stating as brand new, never opened. Check and see with the seller that it works before leaving.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What amuses me is that the "too good to be true" opinions only come out if something does look too good. I would be cautious when buying any used electronics from an unknown source in a way that offers little to no buyer protection. In terms of a sealed box, I don't really trust that. These things can be resealed. The contest thing is a bit weird to me. It seems like an unusual prize. Overall I'm not sure how I'd approach this. Most of the time with a macbook pro or iphone if there is an Apple Store nearby, I'd suggest meeting someone for an appointment at the genius bar. A disclaimer would be that I've never personally done this, but assuming it's registered to the seller and this can be changed over there, you at least know what you're buying. I truly abhor mystery boxes, and I would caution anyone not to believe that a sealed box means they can't rip you off or try to sell you stolen merchandise.

6. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah im contemplating.

the more pressing issue at hand is whether or not i should buy it just cause its a good price. I love my air so im wondering if this retina pro is a good investment.

But yeah, im sure its brand new but that apple store idea is pretty good. Unsure if he'll agree to going to the apple store and then wait 20-25 (they're pretty slow even if you have an appointment) though.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I'd bite if it was legit... but it's not.

----------

For $1800 in pure profit?

8. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but you do have to consider that hes taking a hundred dollar loss. Im sure if he held out, he could sell it for his asking price.

9. richlee111 macrumors regular

I doubt someone won it. I see a lot of posts where someone is selling a computer, ipad, or iphone sealed that they claim they won or got as a present. They very well could have, but more times then not they probably didn't(imo).

Just be aware of the scams now adays where people take an empty box for one of these products, puts a lump of clay that weighs about the same, then uses a shrink wrap sealer to make it look like it has never been opened. So if you are serious, take someone with you, show them the money, then ask them to open the box in front of you before you give them the money and you both part ways.

10. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree. I usually open the box on the spot to confirm that its legit.

Unfortunately he said he can't meet tonight and could only meet tomorrow which by then, the impulse to purchase it may have gone down.

Ah, what to do.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

There's still a 5-7 day wait for shipping and in most places, sales tax. He's asking $1850 for something worth $2199 plus tax that's in short supply. If it was legit he could sell it for $2199 and people would be glad of the opportunity.

12. tatical macrumors member

I say go for it, but be VERY careful. I purchased a retina MBP for $2,400 two days ago [2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB Flash], & I got it from craigslist too. We both wanted to be careful & met in the city where there were many people & cops around. You could try meeting in a bank or a place with lots of security & surveillance.

Good luck :)

13. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

A few hundred dollar savings over the course of your life is nothing. Save your money and purchase it new from Apple.

It isn't worth it. As others have posted, it makes zero sense for him to sell at a loss. It's a hot product (still with wait) and he could easily get the MSRP if he wanted.

I personally would never use CL for any electronics. It reminds me too much of the two guys in the van that approach you in parking lots. "Hey man, you will never believe it, we got an extra pair of high end speakers worth $10,000 - still in the box. We will sell these (boxes of rocks) for only $1,000 ". :rolleyes:

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You do such transactions in the lobby of bank or at a police station. ;)

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Make an appointment at Apple to verify, then go to the bank to get the money with him. If the person is hesitant or changes anything AT ALL, run away from the deal.

16. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Or inside USPS :)

I'd check it out.. Don't go alone, at least have someone [ preferably two friends ] keep an eye on the transaction. Meet during daytime, always! And, never meet in the parking lot or at any entrance/exit.

17. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Meeting tomorrow at panara. Meet will be in the morning and will be taking a friend.

Question though, if i call apple will they tell me if the laptop is safe to buy and not stolen?

I tried asking on the customer service chat (on the apple site) but the guy seemed unsure. Does anyone have any idea on what to do?

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

http://www.mark-up.com/stolen/ and a couple of other places online

Make sure he's got the boxes, peripherals, etc., etc. for it. If he just shows up with the computer itself, and tells you a story about how he temporarily lost the power cord, run.

Type up a bill of sale listing the mac and leave a place for the serial number saying how much you bought it for. Show him your ID and ask to see his, fill out the bill of sale and have a copy for him to take away.

It will at least show that you are a purchaser in good faith should the rMPB, God forbid, turn out to be stolen.

19. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Meet him inside YOUR bank with no money in your pocket. After inspecting the merchandise, if you are satisfied and want to continue with the purchase, go to the teller counter (not the ATM) and withdraw the cash from your account and pay him and let him leave. You both will be on security camera, and when the coast is clear, you can leave as well.

-howard

20. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, he sent me a picture and the laptop is brand new. Still fully sealed. Of course i'll open up to verify its in there.

The thing is, I know he won't agree to the bill of sale where he writes down all his info. TBH, even i wouldnt do that. It leaves me hesitant when a person has my personal info and sees my license, even if the laptop i sell is legit bought.

21. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Apple does not keep track of lost or stolen serial numbers.

Has the seller agreed to let you open the box and try it before you buy it?
    I wouldn't bother to even show up if he won't let you do that.

----------

The bill of sale isn't a bad idea, but I certainly wouldn't let him see my ID.
    If the seller is a thief (and if he isn't then you don't need the bill of sale) then you've just shown him that you have cash, like fancy electronics, and given him your address.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a person that was willing to steal / sell stolen goods is also willing to provide fake contact information anyway.

22. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, he insisted I actually open the box on the spot.

The only thing I dislike baout this situation is the fact that I wont have the extra year of warranty because Im not using Amex.

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You don't have to write down the info on his license, you just have to make sure the name on the license matches the name on the bill of sale; otherwise he can simply sign the name John Smith, Richard Noggin, or Biggus Dickus.

24. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

That is really a touchy issue ... think of it with YOU as the seller. The "sealed box" is a real selling point over a "brand new open box" unit. What if the buyer insists on opening the box before agreeing to buy it ... and then changes their mind and leaves. Your "unopened" computer isn't as valuable as it has been opened and the next buyer will wonder what you know about it that hasn't been revealed.

Obviously, you should at some point open the box and test it out throughly before completing the deal, but you have to have a pretty solid commitment to buy before removing the wrap.

-howard