Return Period At Applestore

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shfawaz, Jun 17, 2015.

1. shfawaz macrumors newbie

shfawaz

Yesterday I went to a local Apple Store to return an Apple Watch. It was delivered to me on June 2nd. Yesterday was the 16th, so I was well within the 14 day return period. But the Apple rep said I was past the 14 day return policy, (the portable reported this-I saw it on the screen too). How can Apple advertise a 14 day return policy from the date of DELIVERY when it appears to block it at the point of return on Day 14. I buy a ton of Apple gear and occasionally return an item, so this isn't the first time this has happened to me where on the 14th day the Apple rep tells me that the return period had expired. Has this happened to anyone else? Each time I had to show them the online Apple return Policy stating within 14 days of delivery and tracking information showing when it was delivered. Both times they took the items back, but made it sound like they were doing me a favor as if I were beyond the return period.

2. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

start counting from the 2nd. your last day to return was the 15th.

3. H3rman macrumors 6502

I think you need to go back to school and re-learn how to add. 14 days from the 2nd is the 16th. He is well within his rights to return on the 16th and the Apple Store just need to deal with it. Regardless of what their automated system says.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Let's see. OP got the watch on the 2nd. That's day one. The 3rd is day two. 4th is day three. Keep counting this way and I believe you'll find that the 15th is day fourteen.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

2nd-16th is 15 days.

You have to count the day it was delivered. Therefore the 15th was the last day of the 14 days.

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.

Count it out. That's 14.

6. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

Not worth adding my 2 cents here, but......2 + 14 = 16. However, as it applies in this case, 2 + 14 = 15! Sorry. You are a day late and a dollar short on the return. Hope you either learn to love the watch or sell it in the secondary market.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, to be exact, if you are using 2+14, you are using the wrong formula. That's not the formula for finding the nth day, because in order to find the nth day, you have to also count the starting day. Go back to post #5, and count the numbers from 2 to 15. You will get 14.

8. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I am a engineer for a living and also a construction scheduler (Primavera P6). I can confirm what everyone else in saying. 14 days from June 2nd is June 15th. Like everyone above has pointed out you have to count the day it was delivered. This is a common mistake when performing date math. Even Microsoft excel gets it wrong! Glad Apple allowed you to return it (but in this case they did do you a favor)!

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

10. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

11. mattopotamus, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Actually you can easily argue the day and time. the 2nd at 8:00am to the 3rd at 8:00am is 1 day, not 2. Different places do different things....jails do the same...

I would count the day/time of delivery to the following day/time as 1 day and you could probably get it exchanged under that logic.

I know places today-tomorrow as 2 days, but with returns they should just use the day/time. If a place had a 1 day return policy would you say you have to return it the same day of purchase?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So if you got it at 12 noon, and on the last day of the return period, you get held up on the way to the store and get there at 5 minute past noon, they can refuse the return? I don't know about you, but I prefer to go with whole days.

13. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Wow. Got to admire such naive confidence.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

There is no subject in the forums that can not start an argument!

15. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Ok im glad it wasnt me because I was looking at post like o_Oo_O

16. H3rman macrumors 6502

Well sorry boys, but that's not how it works here in the UK! Looking at an Apple receipt I have from the 6th June it says "Return Date: 20th June". Got another one from the 4th April and it says "Return Date: 18th April."

So sorry guys, but from where I'm sitting I'm actually right. Not my fault if the U.S. can't do things right. Bit like how you guys spell colour as color. :p

As for the guy who said he's an engineer...good for you. I'm also an engineer, a Hardware engineer actually. :)

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Please remember to include girls, too! ;)

But that's interesting. I'm not actually sure if the 14 day return period in the U.S. includes the first day or not. I was just going by the OP's statement that the people at the Apple Store said the return period had expired, and was trying to explain how one can arrive at that count. But this is why you should always check with the store when the last day to return merchandise is, as different stores can have different ways of counting.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I just picked up a watch today and the return day, counting today is 15 day. I bought it on the 17th and it says the return date is 1st July . This is in the UK.

Can someone confirm, what the U.S in store recipes say?

So now the question is, what does return date mean? Is it before that date ?

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, a thought just occurred to me. You say you "picked up" the watch, meaning you bought it at an Apple Store? If so, maybe the way they count the days is different between online purchases and in-store purchases? Online is 14 days from delivery, including the day of delivery. In-store is 14 days counting from thre day after purchase. Could that be it?

20. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I'm trying to find out if return date on the receipt is by that date. Midnight being the cutoff or includes the day itself.

Be it delivery or pick up, the same 14 day should apply. Going to ask in store tomorrow.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Or, on the 13th day, just go online and request a return label from Apple. That extends your return date another 14 days.

22. EdisEdward macrumors 6502a

Basically, "2 weeks from now" is 14 days later. However, "14 days" means "today, plus 13 more days"

Hope this helps

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I just checked my US receipt for a mac purchase on 5/14/15. It says I have until 5/28/15 to return the item. So they do NOT count the day of purchase as day 1 otherwise that would be 15 days.

24. shfawaz, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015

shfawaz thread starter macrumors newbie

shfawaz

This is the written online policy cut and paste from Apple's website:

For any undamaged product, simply return it with its included accessories and packaging along with the original receipt (or gift receipt) within 14 days of the date you receive the product, and we’ll exchange it or offer a refund based upon the original payment method. In addition, please note the following:

I read that to mean that if June 2nd is day I received it, then June 16th is still within the "14 days of the date I received it" by every count including fingers and toes. If the policy said you can return within one day of receipt, does that mean I only have that same day I received it to return it? Of course not. So this makes June 3rd within one day. Counting this way makes the 16th within 14 Days.

And no, they don't count the day you received it as day one. I believe the in-store retail system does not know when an item was delivered to the customer, so it defaults to the date of shipping for lack of better information to calculate the last valid return date.

Its up to store personnel to override such anomalies.

25. Chcougar1 macrumors regular

Yeah people who said the delivery date is day 1 make no sense. 24 hours makes up a day. That should give them 336 hours to make the return. In this case it would be the same time his watch was delivered on June 16th. I would be arguing that big time with the store.