Returned 13" rMB after one week.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vpro, Nov 5, 2013.

1. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Just shipped it back today the 13"rMB 2.8Ghz i7 maxed out BTO. Too bad really cos I was really falling in love, but it couldn't even do a simple task or watch a movie without hard freezing. Thank goodness my 17" is still stronger than ever running Lion over here. What is going on with this shiny red fruity company? They are really going down hill software wise. Well I guess hardware too. Good to take a needed break from always buying their things. Good to test drive though for a week then return it. Can do way better things with all the money.

2. isephmusic macrumors 6502

any suggestions on what else u would go for in that price range ?

3. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I'm hopeful that the issues people have been reporting with the 13" (keyboard and trackpad input freezing intermittently) plus other oddball issues are all related to a slightly premature release of Mavericks. My fingers are crossed that 10.9.1 is released soon and deals with the majority of bugs.

4. Beezy253, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Glad you returned it! Apple shouldn't be profiting off hardware that doesn't even work 100% out the box.

Curious to see how long it's going to take them to release a fix for the trackpad/keyboard freeze.

5. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Yup, I'm going to strongly encourage people to not put up with Apple's BS track record and lacking hardware releases lately.

They're seriously going downhill.

6. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Hmm...ordered mine on release day and until now i never had a single freeze or this trackpad/keyboard issues, machine runs fine and smooth.

7. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

You have a 13" rMBP, and you aren't using any USB devices or BlueTooth devices with it?

8. unimac macrumors member

Congrats, you bought a product and it work as it should have .. When you have crap QA in manufacturing, this is pretty much the end result...
    > Some people have issues
    > Other people don't.

When you pay a premium for :apple: products, you don't expect such glaring issues to make it out of their manuf'ing plant and into your hands as a customer. The bigger question after having had multiple logic boards eat crap down the warranty line is.. If these their products are having these issues out the box, what the heck should I expect years down the line? A bricked laptop. And since they conveniently soldered/glued everything on .. What am I to expect? A $2000 paper weight.

It's this kind of crap that gets seasoned customers to go to other companies .. I love apple but I echo what others are saying.. After having owned 3 generations of MBPs in which all of them had serious issues, Apple is running thin on the chances I am giving them. I love MacOSX but the quality and reliability of their hardware as of late is driving me out the door.

9. iCam macrumors newbie

yup. i agree. if these issues aren't quickly resolved - i will be returning my rmbp and join w a BTO 13" air

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

You returned it due to a software issue that will be fixed? Maybe you just didn't really want the 13-inch.

11. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Of course I use USB and Bluetooth devices with it.

But maybe my machine was in another product manufacturing cycle, I'm from Germany and my machine came from Czech Republic with ups and not from Shanghai or elsewhere.

12. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Mine is working great, USB, FW800 converted to TB2, all fine. Had one lockup in a week. Fantastic machine, would not trade it in for anything.

13. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Both a 13" and a 15" neither have any problems.

14. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

15. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

13" rMBP had my first trackpad freeze today after having it for about a week using it for many hours daily. I did what someone suggested and it worked. I just closed the lid, took a phone call, when the phone call was done I raised the lid and went right back to work as it was no longer froze up. I just do not believe this issue is hardware related, because you have folks with older machines that have performed perfectly until Mavericks was installed. I know its frustrating, but Apple will resolve this.

I've actually been looking for an excuse to return mine as I have a 2009 MBP that has worked flawlessly since day one and it has 256gb SSD and 8GB of ram just like my new rMBP does. Just hated spending the money, but wanted the better display.

I honestly couldn't be happier!

16. intothepolis macrumors regular

The display is the #1 reason I'm upgrading to retina too.

17. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

When I look at my old MBP beside the rMBP I am just blown away by that display. I am in my early 50's so for me that retina display is very much so appreciated.

The other thing I've been please about is the battery life. This thing gets me through the day easily up to 8 or more hours. Love that, my old one barely got 5 hours.

18. koban4max macrumors 68000

since when did apple really fix any simple software issues? let alone ML and lion days.

19. intothepolis macrumors regular

I completely understand. I only get 4 hours on my 13" macbook pro. Can't wait to get the 15!

20. PervySteve macrumors newbie

Wow, you returned a laptop due to a software bug that will likely be fixed any day?

21. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

I am a professional recording artist and producer, I don't have time to wait on this giant company to get it's act together. I paid with my cash and expect the best, otherwise why would I invest in the "so called best"? So returning it early saves me many carts of cash to put towards other areas of my business which grows quicker and far reaching than this big fruity company can come up with a fix. When they finally do, perhaps I will be a customer once again. Till then my maxed out late 2011 17"MBP is just a treat to work on still.

Good luck to you all.

^_^

22. sonyisawesome macrumors regular

Any day does not mean any time soon.

23. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I think folk have to do what they feel is in their best interest. It's a keeper for me! I will give Apple some slack. None of these devices nor the companies making them or using them are perfect.

24. bearzx macrumors newbie

But people who buy Apple devices are spending much more money than usual. So I think it's fully understandable to expect a "nearly perfect" quality of the machines. Otherwise why don't I buy a cheaper PC with the same configuration.

25. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

your story is hard to believe. the stories on keyboard/touchpad freezes are much more complicated and hard to reproduce than "watching a movie without hard freezing"

i'm calling secret PC fan