Returned 6+, Lost Upgrade Eligibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slester, Sep 24, 2014.

1. slester macrumors member

I preordered a 6+ through Apple and picked it up in store on Sunday. Returned it to Apple Store on Monday - too big. Couldn't exchange for the 6 because there was no stock for exchanges. Manager suggested I return the 6+ and that I could order again online after 24 hour reset of my upgrade eligibility. It seems that AT&T has reset my upgrade eligibility already, but this information hasn't transferred to Apple yet. I can purchase through AT&T without a problem, but when I try to purchase through Apple I receive the following message:

"We found an iPhone order for this phone number. There's an existing order for the phone number you provided. You can only have one upgrade order per phone number at a time. You'll be able to place additional iPhone orders once you receive and activate this iPhone."

Is this simply a matter of waiting for Apple's servers to update my account? Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there any way to get around this? I am fiending for a new phone. AT&T is all sold out. Any help would be appreciated.

2. lovelybai macrumors member

3. slester thread starter macrumors member

I called both AT&T and Apple. AT&T says my upgrade eligibility is reset. Indeed, my account is eligible for an upgrade on the AT&T website. My problem seems to be on Apple's end. They have not updated my account to reflect this. I called Apple and the customer service rep says she couldn't do anything and that I had to wait for up to 10 business days for it to reset. But, I am not convinced that this error will be fixed automatically. I have read accounts of AT&T botching the upgrade eligibility reset, but it seems they are fine in this case and this is on Apple's end. Does anyone have any experience with this?

4. plastus macrumors newbie

In same situation here. AT&T account says my upgrade is available again but Apple will not budge. They say it can take up to 24 hours, 3 days, or 5 days (depending on the rep you get). I wonder if this is connected to the return/refund process and until the refund hits your card and the order is labeled as "Refunded" the system will think there's an active order on the line. The 6 showed up available for pickup in store several times near me and I couldn't get one because of the existing order message.

5. slester thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, plastus. I appreciate the reply. I was thinking the same thing, but the refund hit my credit card this morning. Let's keep each other informed as to each other's situation. It seems like we are in exactly the same boat.

6. katai macrumors regular

I cancelled a apple preorder last Saturday and got my att upgrade back yesterday after calling att. I went to an apple and att store but they couldn't do it. I called apple support and the guy said it can take up to 5 days. It was a hassle going to each store and calling to find an answer.

7. plastus macrumors newbie

Just called AT&T. They verified my account upgrade eligibility was restored as soon as I returned the iPhone 6 Plus to the Apple Store. There is nothing they can do as far as Apple's systems go. Oh well. Looks like waiting is the only option at this point...

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You need to call apple and try to place an order through the phone.

9. plastus macrumors newbie

Tried that. They said they use the same system as customers and when the rep tried placing the order they got the same message. Seems like a black box on the backend that no one can give any real insight on what triggers full restoration of Apple order ability.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Call them and if that fails then you just need to wait for systems to sync back up.

11. a2rob1 macrumors newbie

Took mine exactly three days to waiting for apple server to release!! Ironically I ordered last We'd and received the Ip6 gold on Monday!

12. slester thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That's good information.

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

OP, you were able to exchange/return in store even though you bought online?

14. slester thread starter macrumors member

Yes. It wasn't an issue. I also returned a leather case which I had purchased from the store. The employee processed the case return first. Then he said he had to access another system to process the phone return because I had purchased that online.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Cool thanks for the info!

16. quantumphysics macrumors member

I am in the same situation. Preordered on the 12th, picked up on the 19th at The Grove in LA, returned it on the 21st, refund processed and back on my credit card on the 23rd and I am still getting the same non-eligible message from Apple.com.

Called ATT multiple times and on their end it is ok and eligible. I prefer to buy from Apple so that I can go directly to them if I have any warranty or hardware issues.

Apple rep on the phone said that it would take 3 days because of the amount of orders they have had but it's already 4 days since the day I returned it.

anyone else with updates?

17. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

The Genius Bar at any Apple store will handle any warranty or hardware issue... regardless of where you purchased the device.

18. plastus macrumors newbie

Just wanted to post a quick update for anyone else in this situation. It is definitely an issue with Apple not being able to grab the latest eligibility status from AT&T. I went to a Target store that had an iPhone 6 64GB in stock and checkout was a breeze. Was in/out of the store in less than 10 minutes. Sounds to me like Apple's servers are running eligibility verifications in batches every few days.

19. BigSky20 macrumors regular

Add a line and then remove a line...

A co-worker told me today that they returned a phone to AT&T (6+) and had the same upgrade eligibility at Apple. Apple suggested that you just add a line and bought the phone at a subsidized price. He did point out that you need to buy the new phone at Apple first and then return the old one to the ATT store. ATT will then move the new phone to the correct line and cancel the other phone number. Seems like some work, but seems to work.

20. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

It's not in Apple's hands to tell you this. They must resolve this as it has created a conflict of interest with your carrier.

21. slester thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

22. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

In the same position here. Returned an iPhone 6 on the 23rd, and my line is still ineligible to purchase from Apple. Can absolutely purchase direct from Verizon -- but don't really trust Verizon should something be wrong with the phone (like there was with the first one).

23. teenwith3i macrumors newbie

Were you able to place an order? I've waited 3 days after returning the iPhone and am still unable to place another order

24. slester thread starter macrumors member

I spoke to an employee in the Fifth Ave Apple Store yesterday. He basically said that this is a bug that needs to be fixed. I'm done waiting for Apple to address the issue. I ordered through AT&T yesterday. Hopefully Apple will fix the issue within the next two years so I can preorder next time my contract expires.

25. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Call ATT. They should able to help