iPhone XS Max Returned max went back to X. Anybody else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, Oct 10, 2018.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I had the max for two weeks and was originally going to switch carriers and rebuy the max on a different carrier on a family plan.
    But after having it for two weeks and liking it for the most part. It was a little harder to use then an X but the screen was nice. Now that I returned it and went back to an X I'm just not sure its even worth going back to a max as this phone just feels exactly the same. The camera was a little better but software wise the X feels just as fast and not old one bit.
    Im just feeling like I shouldn't cancel my plan and just hold onto my X for longer now. My mom will be mad as she is on a 6+ and wanted to get the new xr.

2. hotwingsandbeers Suspended

It's an S upgrade on a new design. It was never going to feel like moving from a 3GS to a 4.

That is why I stopped getting the newest phone every year with the 6.

3. ericwn macrumors 68020

I think you answered your own question with real world experience: there isn’t enough perceived value for you in the upgrade to the Xs.
    Enjoy what you have for a while longer and think what else you could spend the money on.

4. xrussx macrumors member

5. cornerexit macrumors 6502

IOS 12 on my 7, I'm not buying another phone for a while. I'll wait until there is a something substantial. Size (smaller) and cellular connectivity are my primary wants. If I had an X there is no way I'd upgrade. I think you made the right decision. Hopefully cellular issues, wifi issues, yellow screens, all these problems on the new phones pushes Apple to make a great phone in 2019.

6. thedieselwind macrumors newbie

thedieselwind

I've pretty much been an iPhone guy since the 3G. I was really happy with the iPhone 6, then pretty blah with the 7 and 8. I really, really liked the iPhone X. To me, it was the all-around best iPhone since the 6. The 7 and 8 lost their luster with me after just a few months. The iPhone X, on the other hand, felt awesome all the way up to the XS release. The X was fast, perfect size, great screen, and great battery life. Even in a lifeproof case, it was pretty small.

Now, all that being said, I did upgrade to the XS Max. At first, I was pretty pumped with the screen size and more than happy with all day+ battery life. After about a week, I began to get frustrated with one-hand operations. It was becoming annoying and I also realized I couldn't really tell a difference in speed or camera on my new phone.

Bottom line is that I could have returned my Xs Max and would have been happy with my X. Part of me wished I did, but I held onto it.

7. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Very similar to me. I was getting frustrated with the screen of the max right away even though it didn't feel super bad. It just felt like another plus size phone which comes with limitations in handling it.
    I still feel like the X is every bit as polished as the max in how it feels to use and speed.
    I have no idea why people think the x was a beta product. Its just as good as the new phones as far as use.
    Im surprised how quickly I adjust to both sizes too. I thought I would hate going back to the x but its nothing major.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

A technical upgrade but subjective if it doesn’t fulfil the need. The OP struggled with the size so to them it ultimately felt like a downgrade. In terms of real world performance these days its best to upgrade every 2 years to see any real benefit.

9. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

If it does not feel worth it then save the money and stick with the X. My wife and I switched from AT&T to Verizon which is the only reason I have the XS. Otherwise I would still be using my X happily.

10. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

My 2 week return window ends today so I decided to try the XS to see if I like it....I don't like it. Will most likely end up going back to the max. The XS seems entirely too small, and too expensive for what it is. its a well built phone but I honestly dont think the price is worth it. Deciding between the two has been a lot harder than I thought it would be.

11. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

It’s been the same story since the 6. Regular or plus/max size. I tried the plus two times and after a few weeks I changed back to the smaller size cos I don’t like the two handed necessity.
    That’s why I don’t even consider a Max now.

Regarding speed, even a 6s is still fluid. So spending every year $1000+ on a phone in hope to see speed improvements is fortunately not a thing for most people.

12. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

Not a chance I am taking back my Max. Love the extra real estate!

13. neil74 macrumors regular

neil74

My window ends tomorrow, I've been so close so many times to returning it but it's still in my hand.

I feel ripped off by apple but after seeing what Google are charging for the 3xl maybe not so much. Seriously those guys must be on drugs.

14. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502a

SisterBlue22

Nope, the XS Max is everything I always wished my X would be. The only thing I wished for in my X was the "plus" size, and now I have it!

15. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I found the X to be too small for my liking as the months progressed.

Now I'm happy with the Max - I wouldn't want it to be any bigger, though. Perhaps it is the optimal mobile phone size.

16. aggie99 macrumors newbie

It was fairly difficult but I sent my X that I had purchased last year on the iPhone Upgrade Program back to Apple last Friday. While I did feel usability was a bit better due to the smaller size, I appreciate the extra screen real estate, extra battery capacity, and the improved camera in the XS Max.

17. Ffosse macrumors 68000

18. davedvdy macrumors 6502a

People whine about the iPhone X notch, but the Pixel 3 one is so ugly, IMO.

19. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Now we have multiple ugly notches. Just one even more ;)

20. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

And downgrade is the ease of use

21. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

You think the XS is too expensive for what it offers? By that logic the XS Max is too expensive for what it offers too.

22. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

23. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

The larger screen is worth it is what I mean. With the X/XS I don’t necessarily notice an improvement over say like a 8, except for the camera and no bezels. The Max seems like a greater upgrade compared to the plus models.

The XS size is great if you use it primarily as a phone, but I feel like for everything else like social media, looking at pictures, videos, etc the larger ones are a lot better. I think with the plus I just got used to doing alot more than phone capabilities and I’m just used to it now. Not saying they can’t be done on the smaller display, but for me it’s just...different lol.

24. Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

I’m holding onto my X as well. Bigger screen on max is nice but I’m looking for more than that. The X is blazing fast and I’m blown away with the pics it takes.

I’m waiting for the 11 or whatever Apple calls it. This way my X will be paid off and I can sell it for a nice return. I’m also anticipating a new design for Apples next flagship. And hopefully do away with the notch altogether. :)

25. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

That is fair. Personally, I find the larger devices much more cumbersome for my usage. I still use my phone for social media, pictures, videos, etc. and enjoy doing so. The beautiful thing about the XS and XS Max is that you lose zero specs by going with the smaller device unlike previous iPhones.