Returned X.... Going to Samsung (runs away...!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwjpaypal, Nov 6, 2017.

1. PhoneI macrumors 65816

You are being a bit defensive. Do you work for Samsung or something?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    I didnt write the story, Gizmodo did. Do you want me to supply you with a Gizmodo contact email address? Maybe you can argue it out with them?

2. talkingrain macrumors newbie

Probably mentioned already but you can't unlock the Galaxy phones while they are sitting on a desk either. The fingerprint scanner is on the back.

3. Ixidor macrumors regular

And for some reason, is really slow compared to the TouchID sensor in my 6S and FaceID on my iPhone X. And worst still, the iris scanner is even slower and misses much more frequently.

I use the Iris scanner on my S8 whenever I am using DEX (which turns the S8 into a desktop), simply because its very difficult to access the fingerprint sensor when it is docked into DEX. Also, you can't access the headphone jack when docked too... the funny decisions Samsung makes...

Anyway, I don't know why Samsung's biometric authentication is so much slower than Apple's... but one thing I do like, is the ability to remain unlocked whenever the phone is paired to my Gear S3 (you could do this with any connected bluetooth devices but it makes much more security sense with a smartwatch). This is still less secure but far more convenient.

4. boomer11 macrumors newbie

dude you linked the article to back up your ignorant crappy opinion. people destroyed that ignorant opinion so now you blame gizmodo? if you can't back up your opinion without some article then it was a dumb stupid and ignorant "opinion" to begin with.

anyways to the op, i feel a lot of people on here that bash android used it in the early stages and it left a bad taste in their mouth. if those people used the note 8, i honestly dont think they would go back to ios. it's as snappy as any iphone yet allows you so much more options. right now ios 11 is way more buggy than android. honest question to ios users, what can you do on ios that can't be done on android?

5. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

Note, the following does NOT apply to Nexus/Pixel Devices... but since we are talking Samsung:
    • Update to the latest OS as soon as it is released.
    • Uninstall Crapware

PS. I just came from a year of using a Pixel XL and a year of using a Nexus 6P before that. I like things about both OSes, but one thing is for certain... I will NEVER go back to a Samsung due to how slow they are with updates, and how ridiculously they bake their garbage software into the OS.

6. boomer11, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

boomer11 macrumors newbie

so you can uninstall apple native apps if you consider them crap? that's news to me.

on android, you can completely disable an app you dont like or you can completely hide that app. can the same be done on ios?

7. PhoneI macrumors 65816

People destroyed what ignorant opinion? Samsung fans are the best. I can do this all night.

8. Relentless Power, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Thats The best idea you have had in over five posts, because at least Gizmodo understands their own article they posted versus somebody that links an article That they didn't even read it at all.

9. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I wonder....did you actually read the article, because I for the life of me can’t figure out how you would not consider it as a major negative against Samsung? Take the blinders off for a minute.

10. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

You get the same thing from people who tried Windows 8 once, and now have a very strong opinion about how Windows 10 is flawed even though they have very little experience with it.

11. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I currently own the S8+ and moved to the iphone X. and let me tell you, how glad I am. S8+ was awesome for the first two months and it just started getting worse and worse. It was downright pissing me off during my vacation. The memory management just makes you want to punch someone. This might not be a problem on the NOTE 8 but the S8 sucked balls.

I'm happy with my iphone X.

In the future - can we just have one thread on this returning "insert this years iphone"? I mean we get that you want to express your opinion, but I had a chicken sandwich yesterday that sucked...that doesn't mean I should make a message board thread on it.

12. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

But what would you be reading and posting replies to if people didn’t make these threads?

13. woozor1 macrumors regular

A show your Apple home screen post oh wait....... ;)

As for @Ixidor saying the FPS is worse than apples and is really slow I have no idea what you have my friend lol. Note 8 FPS is faster and more accurate so far for me and actually works if fingers are wet unlike iPhones.

14. mazdamiata210 Suspended

I read the article and to be fair, I could chop off your fingers and use it to open Touch ID. It's just as "Alarmingly Easy To Hack".

15. Black05Hemi macrumors member

I know, right? I never understand these posts. It's like, "tell me I did the right thing" or something.

16. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

The question is did you read it? I read it. I also read the first hand account of the hack by the organization that did it, in their press release. I read other articles on the subject, including the one from the Guardian where they talked to the people that did it and also tried to recreate the hack. In other posts in this thread, I've explained to you the difference between "easy" and "likely". The people that did the hack said the circumstances of being able to do this easy hack are extremely unlikely. I've also ironically worked in the biometric security industry (iris, fps, etc.), worked on the development of contact lens manufacturing equipment, and at one point was a professional photographer and did some work in IR.

So no "blinders on" here. I've done my own research, not just read a clickbait title and over-reacted. You've not responded to any of the several contextual explanations to you of what you supposedly read. So I think its pointless to keep going back and forth with you. You either haven't read the article you referenced, not done your own research, or don't understand what we are talking about.

You should also keep an eye on that hacking company. They've hacked ever phone's biometric features, so given a little time you will be reading that they've done the same to FaceID. I've seen several videos already of FaceID hacks with no special skills or equipment. The most recent was a guy's middle school aged son opening his iPhone X. And with the X, you have no other options. If you really don't like Iris on the Samsung phone, you have a half dozen different security options to choose from.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Yet you felt a need to post this? The OP was interested in discussing experience making a switch from iPhone to Galaxy. Your contribution to that dialog is "S8 sucked balls". That's very informative and helpful. I'm sure anyone considering a switch will value your thoughts on the subject.

17. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Yep, just as easy. Keep those excuses rolling. Im making a list....

1. Chop off fingers

18. ropbo10 macrumors newbie

Long time iPhone user here, recently switched to the S8+ (mostly thanks to the iPhone X's new price point). First time with an Android phone so had a few issues here and there. Memory management as pointed out before is really bad. I didn't like notifications on the S8+ either (which is ironic since most Android users praise the notification system on Android phones).

I even thought about returning it but after 10 days of tweaking the phone, I think I got it to the point where everything is working fine. One thing that I really loved about this phone is that it's so easy to drag and drop songs and images back and forth to my Mac. No need to sync anything. I'm using a music app called Phonograph that's waaaaaay better than iTunes. And this phone is so damn beautiful, probably the most beautiful phone I've ever seen.

I think IOS is a more mature and reliable operating system though and I miss its simplicity. Bu I'm really enjoying my new toy.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you aren’t happy with the current iPhone selection then you should definitely get something else. There isn’t a single phone that fits everyone’s needs. It is nice to have choices.

20. Ixidor, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Ixidor macrumors regular

Well, it is for the S8 in my case. The time taken to locate out the back fingerprint sensor (sometimes misses on the first attempt) to unlock is slower than placing my thumb on the iPhone's 6S fingerprint sensor.

In fact, the iphone 6S unlocks so fast that people kept missing their notifications because the screen unlock was so fast. When raise to wake and pressing the home key to unlock were introduced, they solved the issue. The same can't be said for the S8.

The FPS on the back of the S8 is a well-known complaint that is well documented. So I won't elaborate here. The face ID in iPhone X is more efficient for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the S8 and I use it daily, and I prefer using the gear S3 for authentication because the FPS placement really suck.

Notice that I am comparing iPhone 6S, galaxy S8 and iPhone X here. That's coz those are the phones I bought and used with my own money. Still using the S8 with the iPhone X now. The 6S is my drawer. The Note 8 is extremely tempting.

21. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

Glad that my Note 8 doesn't have a notch.:eek:

Attached Files:

22. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

A better experience for you. I went from the 7 Plus to the Note 8 and while I thought the phone was beautiful, had some great features, and I loved the S Pen, I found the experience clunky and after several days I returned it and got the 8. Now I’m on the X.

The screen on the Note 8 was beautiful, but I found the colors to be unnatural. Even though I turned notifications off for Facebook, I was still getting them, which was highly annoying. I couldn’t for the life of me fugue out how to get music from iTunes to the phone. Over all, it just wasn’t a good user experience for me. The messaging app was ugly too.

I love the X. So happy with it and iOS is just a lot more seamless than Android.

23. Pascal325 Suspended

I had the Note 8 and went back to a iPhone 8 plus. It wasn't that hard. iOS has many useful features that just work better than Android like imessage. And with my family having all iPhones, it was easier to send larger pictures, videos, etc to them. Also, I thought the Note 8 was too tall. I always had to move my hands a lot.

24. Low country macrumors 6502

"Lag in the Note 8".....I just fell off my chair when I read that too. I can't make this Note 8 lag no matter what I do to it. Truly beautiful device, if it had iMessage capabilities I'd never look back.

25. Pascal325 Suspended

I also never had any lag with my Note 8. Only one user here and on Android Central complained about lag, and it's the one you are replying too.