Returned X.... Going to Samsung (runs away...!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwjpaypal, Nov 6, 2017.

1. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Apples FaceID can be defeated by a sibling, so it is a matter of time before someone defeats it other ways.

But back to the Note 8. You either didn't read the article, or you really have no clue what the article was talking about. Do you even know what a high res IR camera is? I am comfortable that no one is going to get close enough to me with a high res IR camera, AND measure my eyeball for fitting a contact lens, without me knowing it.

I'm not defending anything. I'm trying to explain something to you but I think its probably a waste of time. No security is 100% foolproof. Its always a tradeoff between security and convenience. The most secure device is going to be the least convenient to use. So a buyer needs to make an objective assessment of what works for them.

2. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

OP, did your Note 8 arrive yet? I'm curious to see what you think about it, its a stunning phone too. If I was going to stop buying iPhones, I would go for the Note 8 too in a heartbeat.

3. balaplus macrumors 6502

Right here in White City London, Samsung has setup a stall near Apple Store - They have a Note 8 & S8 immersed in a glass tub of water and encourage you to operate the screen under water!
    The contrast between the Iphone 8 & S8/Note 8 capabilities is so stunning, even a hardcore Apple fan would be tempted to go for the Samsung!

4. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Did you not read my comments? I am talking about the current S8

5. Gaprofitt macrumors 6502

Incorrect. I can fast charge and fast wireless charge out of the box with the samsung adapter, Apple gives
    me the cheapo 5 watt adapter which doesn't support fast charging. The apple devices will
    not fast charge with the samsung adapter either.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

6. csurfr macrumors 68000

Seriously? You're joking right? When you buy the Samsung wireless charger (I own the stand version) it includes a charging block for fast charge. Just like when I go to the Apple Store and buy a Mophie or Belkin. They include the adapter also. The only wireless chargers that don't include an adapter are the cheap 15.00 ones from Amazon. You get what you pay for sometimes.

You're making something out of nothing.

Edit: You are not "fast wireless charging" out of the box. You have fast wired charging, and the ability to purchase a wireless charger should you choose to.

7. dstew201 macrumors 6502

dstew201

To the OP, I would like to apologize. Apparently, my witty sardonic sense of humor does not explicitly come through via a thread post... "Soooooooooooooo..." when I say "don't come back" it was in jest, a reference to your thread title "(....Runs away!)".

Someone didn't like it, which caused me to get a slap on me wrist :p ... (to whom it my concern //insert sarcasm).

:rolleyes:

8. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

Sound like a Samsung bashing on Macrumors, is it? :confused:

9. PhoneI macrumors 68000

I'm making references to a story written by a technology website. You can either choose to believe them or not. I'm just saying in their opinion, the Samsung Iris detection is incredibly easy to hack. Understand?

Samsung fans are hilarious.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Take it up with Gizmodo. They think its incredibly easy to hack. Sorry that upsets you. Try writing them.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    I think you need to research the definition of "defensive". It does not mean anyone that disagrees with your point of view.

But, you should probably take up the matter with Gizmodo. I'm just referencing their article that basically claims that the Samsung Iris scanning security can be easily hacked.

Samsung fans make me happy.

10. cwilliams706 macrumors regular

cwilliams706

To each their own my friend. I’m put off by the size of the Note8! I’ve mentioned this before in other threads, but I love the size of the iPhone X. Including a screen of this size within the body they chose is the perfect balance for me. It may only include “marginal” improvements over the 8 Plus, but they’re more than enough for me.

11. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Just to clarify, I'm not a "Samsung fan". I own and use technology products from companies that meet my needs. That includes Apple, Samsung, Microsoft... whatever. The subject of this thread, was someone looking at switching from an iPhone to a Galaxy, and others commented that they would like to hear about the experience. My first post was a pros/cons talking about strengths and weaknesses of the iPhone and the Note 8, in my experience.

You have jumped in and disrupted what was a reasonable dialog with nonsense, and I've tried to correct that nonsense for anyone actually interested in the comparison. You read a click-bait article about something that you don't understand and are suddenly an expert on the topic. For anyone interested in actually understanding, here is an account from The Guardian on the same "hack"

In a statement, the company said the attack requires “a rare combination of circumstances” to pull off. “It would require the unlikely situation of having possession of the high-resolution image of the smartphone owner’s iris with IR camera, a contact lens and possession of their smartphone at the same time. We have conducted internal demonstrations under the same circumstances, however, [and] it was extremely difficult to replicate such a result.”

So yes, it is "easy" to do, but rare that anyone would be able to do it. In the actual press release by the people that did the hack, they indicated the need for a 200mm lens on a DSLR, modified to take IR pictures (that means modifying the sensor of the DSLR). You'd then need to be close enough to take a picture of both iris's and capture sufficient detail. That would likely take multiple attempts and trial an error. You'd then need a contact lens that matched the shape of the eye, and need to attach the picture to the contact. And then, it might work. As a comparison with hacking a fingerprint scanner by capturing a fingerprint... just as an FYI for you... you don't leave your iris laying around like a fingerprint. So this would need to be done while you are arguably looking at the person with the camera taking a picture of your iris.

So as I said before, I'm happy to take the chance that someone is going to go to all that trouble to try and hack my phone. If I see a stranger sneaking around with a telephone lens taking pictures of my eyeballs, I'll probably suspect something is up. I'm sure it won't be long before this same group announces they've hacked FaceID... they've basically hacked every phone's biometric mechanisms and since a close relative can unlock an X, shouldn't be that hard.

If you are put off by the size of the Note 8, then the S8 would be the alternative since its roughly the same dimensions as the X... and has a larger screen to size ratio.

12. dojoman macrumors 65816

I find it hard to believe when people post a thread like this especially with your signature with all Apple products. You're really going to give up on Apple Eco system? Especially that SS Apple Watch won't work on Android.

13. Ixidor macrumors regular

I have a Galaxy S8 and the iPhone X. For all intents and purposes, the S8/S8+ is gorgeous and a pleasure to use (I think the Note 8 is slightly less aesthetically pleasing, but still miles ahead of the notch on the X).

However, with all the ruckus regarding FaceID vs TouchID, the fingerprint sensor on the S8 is severely lacking. Assuming I place my finger accurately on the inconveniently placed sensor (which doesn’t occur all the time), the login is sooooo slow compared to iPhone X’s FaceID (or any TouchID in previous gen’s iPhones).

In fact, I love FaceID and wouldn’t want to go back to TouchID.

Furthermore, performance-wise, my iPhone X is far more fluid and faster than my S8. I still love my S8 for a number of reasons (beautifully designed, pairs well with Android/Tizen smartwatches, splitscreen multitasking, customisation on Android, banking apps without Apple Pay support have access to NFC), but performance is not one of them.

Oh, and I love the iPhone X’s general gesture-based UI (which I find much faster to navigate than Android), FaceID, performance, and more importantly, the Apple Ecosystem (syncs seamlessly with my iPad/Mac without any effort on my part).

14. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

My signature was all Apple 6 months ago, so it happens. And as far as the SS AW goes, I have one and it was on my wrist every day for 2 years. I really liked it. And now I have a Gear S3 Frontier and like it way more.

The Apple ecosystem is the biggest value that there is with an iPhone, and its also the biggest curse. As long as you stay tied to it, you are at the mercy of Apple. I knew that going in. I got all in. I didn't like where Apple was headed. I slowly started extracting myself from it. The Apple ecosystem advantage is still very good, but the gap between it and a heterogeneous ecosystem is much closer and continuing to close the gap. The Apple ecosystem also has some cons... like not being able to use Waze or Google Maps with CarPlay. There are a lot of those.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You are overly defensive, because you were called out multiple times and you yet to have a response worth a valid argument. Look at all your daft responses in this thread and in general, these three responses above. You consistently deflect away from your own quotes and keep making the same redundant "Samsung fan comments", when it has nothing to do with being a Samsung fan or not. Most of your responses have no substance and are literally frivolous.

You made the insinuation about Iris scanning being "Easy" to hack, when in fact it's not, contrary to what you believe you have no knowledge of regarding an article you posted you didn't even read yourself when you were questioned on it.

Furthermore, then you link an article to Gizmodo, only to be dismissive about the actual contents of the article which you then try to sway others by saying "Take it up with Gizmodo", which indicates you attempt to hide behind something you don't understand yourself.

16. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I definitely would love someone to even try to come close to my eye to measure my retina....and then create a contact lens....its laughable because I assume I have to be kidnapped and tied up for that to happen. :D:rolleyes:

17. PhoneI macrumors 68000

Ha....and you accuse me of being defensive.

If you find the obvious flaws in the Samsung biometrics acceptable, then thats fine. I think its ridiculous, but lets agree to disagree.

18. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

holy christ guys, both authentication methods are hard as hell to fool. Can we stop trying to compare things that don't even matter? There are other differences between both handsets that are much more important

19. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

You really can't admit when you are wrong, can you? Your "obvious flaws" argument has been completely defeated, yet you have no comments about it. I really don't think you understand what we are talking about here. You just chose the wrong click-bait headline to throw into this argument without really understanding it so have no way to further discuss.

20. jeff.noechel macrumors member

jeff.noechel

I'm actually the complete opposite. Samsung pay and/or android pay do not except my credit/debit card but Apple Pay does. Apple Pay also is excepted at for more places around me.

21. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

What country are you in?

22. jeff.noechel macrumors member

jeff.noechel

USA

23. latifuakinade macrumors newbie

Smiles. As someone said it is it money so he can do what want do

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

More drivel. You're only replying to argue semantics, because you have nothing to else To contribute. All your posts are continuous forms of nonsensical responses. It's evident you won't participate in discussion for the sake of making actual worthy arguments about statements you made yourself about Samsung and you never answer questions posed to you. As someone else alluded to, you have been debunked numerous times and for some odd reason, you feel the need to reply with nothingness.

25. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

OK, so I agree that there may be more banks who support Apple Pay with their cards. I had one that doesn't work with Samsung Pay, so I don't use it anymore.

But you are incorrect on where you can use Samsung Pay. Are you basing your opinion on places that have a sign or say they take Samsung Pay, or actually trying it? The reason I ask is that Samsung Pay has MST and NFC. Apple pay is only NFC. MST will work on any card reader that has a place to swipe a credit card, which is most of them that don't have NFC. There is no way that Apple could possible work in more retailers in the US since most locations that don't have NFC have older terminals that have a card swipe. MST simulates the card swipe with a magnetic field.