Returned X.... Going to Samsung (runs away...!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwjpaypal, Nov 6, 2017.

1. SuperZay'N macrumors member

because its samsung and i have had every samsung device to date and they all do the same thing lol. so i would expect the note 8 to do the same thing
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    and yes i have had the note 8. thats what i upgraded to before i returned it after 12 days. started to lag and the bloatware is ridiculous on the verizon model.

2. justdefend, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

justdefend macrumors member

I was in the same boat. Had a 6S+ then 7+ and was waiting for the iPhone X keynote until I picked up the Note 8. This past Friday I picked up the X to compare and it confirmed my choice that the Note 8 was the better phone for me.

Face ID works great when I pick up the phone and look right at it. When the phone is on my desk and I hover, it can't recognize me. I love the X OLED display, really sharp and great colors, but most software initiates the vertical letterbox to accommodate the notch which negates the touted edge-to-edge screen.

The Note 8 is just a better experience. I get to keep my fingerprint unlock from the 6S+ and 7+, view the entire 6.3-inch display, which is stunning for content in landscape mode, use the S pen for notes and screen grabs, and I get back a headphone jack. Going from iPhone to Android I was most worried about the camera and it turns out the Note 8 one is damn good, at least on par or better than my iPhone. The only thing missing is the 4K 60FPS movies, but I wouldn't be using that much due to the large file sizes.

Great choice, and have fun with the Note 8.

3. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

You are quoting and replying to yourself there... not sure what that is about.

So you have bought every Samsung device to date, they all are crap, and yet you keep buying them? I count 179 models of just the Samsung Galaxy line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy , and they have many more models going back to early smartphone days pre-Android.

Maybe its you. My Note 8 I've been using for way longer than 12 days and it exhibits none of those things.

4. SuperZay'N macrumors member

sorry, every flagship samsung device. im a techy and love phones and i buy every device to try it out from every manufacturer. i buy lg, hauwei, samsung, xiaomi, motorla etc....funny thing is you're going on about how great samsung is when they dont even make the best android device out there lol. have fun with your note 8. i love how you tried to be very technical when i said every samsung device knowing damn well i meant flagship use common sense

5. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I must have missed the memo... which device is the best Android device? I'm just not techy enough to know that.

And I'm "going on about how great Samsung is" because someone asked for input on how it compared to the iPhone... the subject of the thread. If you read my original post in this thread, you will find a list of pros and cons for both the Note 8 and iPhone, based on my experience. I didn't just post a "I've owned every Samsung phone and they are all crap" post which is so useful.

6. SuperZay'N macrumors member

never said they were all bad, i said they all lag and slow down after 5-6. my note 8 started to do it after 12 days. i actually enjoyed the s7 edge one of my favorite devices of last year up until it started to restart on its own and lag. but you have your opinion and i have mine. enjoy your note 8 and i will enjoy my X and the many devices i have in my drawers. BTW pixel is the best android experience. samsung has them beat on hardware but overall experience pixel is ahead of that race

7. drinkingtea, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

drinkingtea macrumors member

I've had my S8+ for five months now. This is my first Android experience. I absolutely love it. I've had no issues with it. The phone is still fluid and fast. The notifications alone make Android leagues ahead of iOS; I don't understand why Apple refuses to group notifications by app. It's such a simple thing, and yet, Apple would rather have every notification scattered about on the iPhone.

I also love the convenience of Samsung Pay, having the fingerprint scanner on the back (I have no issues with reaching it), and Google Assistant, which is much better than Siri. I never used Siri because it is so bad, but I use Google Assistant constantly.

There are only two things that I miss about iOS: the app quality of iOS apps and iMessage. It's clear that developers prefer iOS. I miss so many great apps that I used on a daily basis on my iPhone that aren't available on Android or the equivalent Android apps are not as polished and done well. If I go back to iOS, it will only be because of this app issue.

Enjoy your Note 8! I've heard great things about it.

8. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Glad your enjoying your S8+.

I am curious about your use cases for Google assistant and compare that to my use cases Siri and see what I am missing. Here is what all I do with Siri pretty much on a daily basis.
    1. Turn off/on BT/WiFi in settings
    2. Ask directions to a local POI
    3. Send messages to spouse and contacts
    4. Make cellular and FaceTime Audio calls
    5. Take notes
    6. Add calendar events
    7. Open apps - podcasts, Pocket, Waze etc...

9. TheIgster macrumors regular

TheIgster

I keep reading these comments on this forum. Funny how it's always someone who is using an iPhone now. My S7 Edge as well as my wife's S7 Edge are both over a year old and we have never had any lags or reboots. Both phones work the same as they did from day one. In fact, with updates, they run even better. Funny how all these 'iPhone" users have had all these issues with their Android devices right away basically.

My Bluetooth always works. My WiFi always connects. My phone always unlocks when it's at home in a trusted zone. It works and just keeps working and so does my wife's.

I checked out the X in store. It's OK. Seems like a nice display. Much like Samsung displays, since you know, it's made by Samsung. Seemed fairly fluid for the few minutes I messed around with it. iOS seems way too simple though. Nowhere near as configurable as I'm looking for. Really missing a home or back button. Oh and that notch. LOL...that thing is still SO bad IMO. I could never use a phone with that ugly thing staring at me all day. Ugh.

10. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

I do find it funny when people claim to not care about other people's opinion in new threads but then take the time to read and post a reply.

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

To all that don’t like Face ID while the phone is on your desk...try using a phone stand. This way you are looking at the phone. No hovering.

12. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

A love letter to the South Koreans...

Some folks will never buy a Samsung product but their DNA is all over the place.

I realized this when I had an Microsoft Xbox. The hard drive was made by Samsung. The inferior ones were the Phillips. I remember checking the internal storage for my LG phone. It's also made by Samsung.

안녕하세요
    Annyeonghaseyo!

I have some good South Korean friends and I respect that Samsung helps their country the way the Yakuza helps the Japanese government. They aren't my favorite company but I respect their people and I respect how much Samsung helps others.

First chick I ever dated is half-white/half-Korean. She was into K-Pop. Attractive girl. Set a high standard for me. I go to Koreatown and eat kim-chi and Korean BBQ. I like the South Korean culture. They're kinda like the Japanese but they're better drinkers! I'll listen to PSY sometimes. ;)

South Koreans invented the mp3 player.

Electronics
    1980's - Japan
    1990's - Japan
    2000's - China vs South Korea
    2010's - China vs South Korea

Remember, Japan was a joke when it came to manufacturing after WW2. They were deemed low quality and people in the 70's would make fun of Hondas. Then Sony started to prove Japan was high quality.

Korea was a poor country after the war. They were underdogs too. Good to see them rise from the ashes. I noticed South Korean products got better once I rented a Hyundai Sonata for a day back in 2005. They're making quality stuff and Samsung is very reliable as suppliers.

I like Chinese culture too but everyone dubs their stuff as low QC. Taiwanese is not that much better from my experience and neither was my S7 edge made in Vietnam. South Korea is becoming the new Japan. That's why I Iove my LG phones. Both made in Korea. Not assembled in China (Foxconn).

Go, South Korea! I like South Korean women (and it seems mutual with them) and party with my South Korean buddies. Heavy drinkers but fun! Samsung keeps helping their native country and their good people. Respect. <3 South Koreans.

건배
    Geonbae!

13. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

All comes down to environment you live in ... with me I have 2 MacBooks, 1 iMac, 1, Mac mini, 2 iPhones, and 3 iPads ... I need the ecosystem and While the Samsung phones are not terrible, they just don't work well in my environment ... I tried once, didn't last long.

14. dblissmn macrumors regular

I've been on Android for almost a decade, the only non-Apple part of my computing setup, and I've been wanting to switch to an iPhone, but with Apple's recent decisions they're moving it farther away from what I need or want. The glass back business is nuts, and unlike Android there's no escape except to buy an older model that's missing recently launched LTE bands. iOS 11, which I've put on my iPod now that the massive battery drain issue has been tamed (though I fear not solved), doesn't feel very finished. And Apple for no very good reason is still blocking Bluetooth USB (except when the accessory maker pays a fat license fee; this means most OBD readers for cars, for example, won't work) and tethered USB (using your hotspot on WiFi isn't always practical especially if the phone's low on juice). So I guess I'm stuck with short-term OS support and compatibility issues with syncing contacts for another upgrade cycle. And of course Google laid a big LG-shaped OLED egg on their big phone leaving only the little one working right, and Samsung are taking their own sweet time to get the unlocked, non-AT&T-addled version of their ruggedized, plastic-backed S8 Active on the market.

And it's not as though I'm being impatient with Apple; I've put up with enough dongle nonsense on their laptops for example. but I can't have a phone that won't be current with LTE deployments that I've been counting on, and that you can't drop or set down on a hard countertop without breaking, at least not if it's going to cost that much. iPhone 7 which just about minimally qualifies as rugged-ish doesn't have LTE 66 or 71; even the Corningware accident samples they're pushing now don't have 71.

Just introduce a rugged iPhone that's up to date on LTE and has a regular home button, K? And if iOS is ever altered so that it doesn't force you to jump through hoops to use USB protocols over tether or Bluetooth, I'll regard that as gravy.

15. yuroldhat macrumors newbie

This. People who makes these post are usually the ones that care the most.

16. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

I switch back and forth between Android and iOS ALL the time. In the past year I've had both a 7Plus and a Pixel XL. The Pixel was actually the single phone I've used the longest (a whole year). In the past I've used Samsungs, but I've always been annoyed by the crapware pre-loaded on the devices (much if it can't be removed), as well as the slow pace of software updates.

I decided a long time ago I'll only buy "Pure" stock experiences. Either Stock android or iOS. That said, the new Samsungs are stunning and are VERY tempting. Samsung pay with its MST mode is just plain brilliant for those of us in the USA. I may try Samsung again in the S9 or Note 9 incarnation.

17. PhoneI macrumors 68000

I'm sorry, but if your security can be beaten by a picture and a contact lense, then you have NO security. I can't believe you would even defend this.
    If apple's face ID can be beaten with a camera and contact lense the media would have a field day. This is a crazy simple hack and makes the whole device insecure. But, keep defending Samsung.

18. mib1800 macrumors 68020

You believe everything in the web? I don't it is that easy to fool the face unlock. Not everyone is an idiot. You think Samsung never put in some detection logic for photo? I am not saying face unlock can't be fooled but it is just naive to think it is that easy.

Btw: I have tried with photo and I can't fool my S8+

19. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Why are you apologizing for something you have no experience to begin with? Again, you seem not to answer any questions that were posed to you previously about Iris scanning and how you're logic was already proven it's not "Easy" as you claimed. And now you're jumping to bash facial recognition which you have no experience with either because you believe everything you read on the internet. And another forum member just told you it didn't work on their S8 Plus. But yet, somehow you're going to try and convince everyone you're right and we are all wrong. It doesn't work like that.

20. PhoneI macrumors 68000

Well Gizmodo sure thinks it’s easy. They wrote the article. Not me. I’m just quoting their story which claims it’s incredibly easy to hack. But keep defending Samsung.
    So I shouldn’t believe everything I read on the internet but i should believe you? Fine, I guess since you couldn’t break Samsung’s security then we all have nothing to worry about.

Can’t even make it up anymore.

21. bopajuice macrumors 65816

bopajuice

Are you referring to a phone that was from a couple of years ago? Does not seem like a fair comparison.

22. mib1800 macrumors 68020

Why are you so defensive? I am just saying don't take everything at face value. The video I have posted can present possibilities that some of those facial unlock hacks (that you see on youtube) with just a photo can be fake. Anyway Samsung never said facial unlock is totally safe. That's why you can't use it for secured transactions (like samsung pay or knox).

23. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Defending? No, not even close. It's a matter of indicating something you have no knowledge of you continue to refute. All you have done is made assertions for something that you have no experience with based on your Google searches. And Now you deflect to Gizmodo because you're consistently told otherwise because you believe everything you read and have no experience with otherwise. And please, for the sake of discussion, reread the previous post(s) and try to answer the questions versus jumping to other conclusions.

24. Jetway macrumors newbie

Well the dudes that run over to Samsung, have fun. The People that stay with Iphones have fun. I can't really see why there is even an argument. People always seem to defend their moves but to be honest nobody really cares who switches where.

25. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

These types of threads is toxic...i mean seriously ... ex:returning x to plus thread....or it’s all about x threads or whatever. Both are good...and a lot of repetition threads....or android this or android that...