Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I returned an iPhone by mail last Friday. (Purchased via Loyalty via a 30 month agreement.) I first went to my local AT&T store and they had issues processing the return on two different occasions, so I mailed it back.

I'm looking to pre-order the 12 PM, but my gut says this return will not be processed in time. Currently my account says I cannot upgrade until I pay off the balance from the agreement. (I never opened/activated the iPhone.)

I called the Loyalty department and they said they need to receive and process the iPhone before I can pre-order the 12 PM. They said it should be processed in time for November 6th, but I'm not so confident.

USPS tracking simply says the item was received by the 'returns agent'. A google search led me to Pitney Bowes tracking which simply says 'in transit' and has no update since last Saturday.

Curious what others have experienced when returning devices in the mail back to AT&T. Would love to know how long it took for you to receive your refund and have your account back to the accurate standing. Thanks.

iambkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I returned my iPhone 12 this Monday Oct 26 via USPS. No update in PB tracking site, shows "In transit". Heard it usually takes 3-4 weeks, godddd!!!!!

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I returned my iPhone 12 this Monday Oct 26 via USPS. No update in PB tracking site, shows "In transit". Heard it usually takes 3-4 weeks, godddd!!!!!
Hope I’m not jinxing myself but my original MA return from last Friday left PA en route to TX. Find it hard to believe it won’t arrive in TX next week.

iambkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Hope I’m not jinxing myself but my original MA return from last Friday left PA en route to TX. Find it hard to believe it won’t arrive in TX next week.
yeah, AT&T return policy suckssss. We can't return phones back to stores if we didn't like em and only option is to ship the phone back which takes weeks to process and just do yoga during that period? which year are we in.... 80's? ?‍♂️

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
yeah, AT&T return policy suckssss. We can't return phones back to stores if we didn't like em and only option is to ship the phone back which takes weeks to process and just do yoga during that period? which year are we in.... 80's? ?‍♂️
You can return phones at their stores. I mailed mine back because my local store tried on two different occasions and was not able to do so. I wish I never mailed the phone back and just waited for them to process the return in store. Fingers crossed I can get this all settled before the 12 Pro Max pre-order.

Also my return just arrived in Atlanta today. Progress at least haha.

Reactions: iambkk

iambkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
You can return phones at their stores. I mailed mine back because my local store tried on two different occasions and was not able to do so. I wish I never mailed the phone back and just waited for them to process the return in store. Fingers crossed I can get this all settled before the 12 Pro Max pre-order.

Oh is it? I tried returning it to store, they won't accept. Customer Service says the same, since I ordered the phone online only way to return is to ship it back using the return label.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Oh is it? I tried returning it to store, they won't accept. Customer Service says the same, since I ordered the phone online only way to return is to ship it back using the return label.
Completely false.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Judging from forums.att.com, quite frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if you are never credited for the return.

Although my own bad experience with AT&T was not related to a lost phone, I believe there is sufficient evidence that AT&T has serious problems with losing phones.

iambkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Judging from forums.att.com, quite frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if you are never credited for the return.

Although my own bad experience with AT&T was not related to a lost phone, I believe there is sufficient evidence that AT&T has serious problems with losing phones.
Agree, heard few cases. Good luck to us!

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’ve returned through the mail. If you do it in store you may have to pay a restocking fee. It takes a month or so to get the credit back to the account, but I feel like my upgrade was available again sooner than that.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I think part of the problem with AT&T and the constant back and forth between customer service and a store is that they do not offer any distinguishing identification between a corporate store and a authorized retailer, unlike Verizon and other carriers. In my area, the nearest corporate store is at the mall (30 mins away), but customer service will tell you "any store can help you" when in reality a lot of services are only offered at corporate AT&T locations. To make matters worse, we have three AT&T locations at the Christiana Mall in Delaware to add a layer of complexity.

iambkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I’ve returned through the mail. If you do it in store you may have to pay a restocking fee. It takes a month or so to get the credit back to the account, but I feel like my upgrade was available again sooner than that.
May I ask how long did that take from the day you returned to AT&T receiving it back in the mail? and did you return it recently?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
May I ask how long did that take from the day you returned to AT&T receiving it back in the mail? and did you return it recently?

I don’t remember exactly. I’ve done two returns though. One I wound up having to call when the charges were still on my bill. Gave them the info and they handled it immediately. The other seemed to go through fairly quickly, like within 14 days. Both were this year.

iambkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I don’t remember exactly. I’ve done two returns though. One I wound up having to call when the charges were still on my bill. Gave them the info and they handled it immediately. The other seemed to go through fairly quickly, like within 14 days. Both were this year.
Great, thanks

iambkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020

Mine updated this morning - "Inducted into Pitney Bowes Network" - Atlanta GA. Hopefully to TX in couple of days ?

Reactions: blairh

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Mine updated this morning - "Inducted into Pitney Bowes Network" - Atlanta GA. Hopefully to TX in couple of days ?
Nice! My last update as of now is still Atlanta as of yesterday at 3 PM. I will hound the Loyalty department once it arrives in Fort Worth, TX until they change my contract status. I am never purchasing from AT&T ever again (will use Apple only) and I think honestly I'll go unlocked moving forward to avoid any contact status/upgrade issues.

Reactions: compwiz1202

iambkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Nice! My last update as of now is still Atlanta as of yesterday at 3 PM. I will hound the Loyalty department once it arrives in Fort Worth, TX until they change my contract status. I am never purchasing from AT&T ever again (will use Apple only) and I think honestly I'll go unlocked moving forward to avoid any contact status/upgrade issues.
Exactly what I thought. Will never go with AT&T to buy a phone. Return process is a disaster!

Reactions: blairh

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Ugh, this is not promising. Was planning to mail my 12 back today with the hopes of ordering a 12 mini on launch ?

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut
I returned my at&t phone to apple two days ago by mail and I’m already eligible for an upgrade on at&t again. I’m assuming you’re returning to at&t and not apple. I generally avoid purchasing from at&t at all costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.