Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Definitely no restocking fee at a US Apple store. Definitely going to be subject to availability of unreserved phones in the configuration you want and possibly whether the person who's helping you is having a good morning so far - be very polite. :) Since you're trying to get out of a popular color into what's probably the least popular version (MG to silver), I'd think your chances would be pretty good.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
And so it starts #GreenRegretGate...

Wondering if it has to do with all the people who jumped on the Rose Gold train and found themselves regretting it? LOL, remember all of the “I’m a guy, can I get Rose Gold?” threads that popped up every few weeks? Good times.

First Post G

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2011
NYC
I have done this before at an Apple store on launch day. I went on the pick up line, and when it was my turn with an Apple Store employee, I mentioned I would like to switch if they had walk-in inventory. It was not an issue, they did it no problem.

Reactions: DDustiNN

itsjonathan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
Dallas, TX
LMAO I can't......

Lol what I meant was I got it on Next. Would I have to repay the taxes or will they use the money from the 1st order to cover it. Or will they just flat out refund me and if so can it be put on a gift card instead because I don’t get paid until next Tuesday.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
From my past experience they are not going to let you exchange it. You will have to cancel the order and order a new one. The stores have limited stock the first few weeks and they are all reserved for in store preorders.

I tried to do that last year with the XS and they wouldn’t allow it due to low inventory.
I had the exact opposite experience last year. The stores have completely separate stock for pre-orders and walk-ins (meaning... stock didn’t even show up on the website for pick-up orders, but you could still walk in and buy them).

I was able to do an exchange with no questions asked, simply because I didn’t like the color.

Pinhead117

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
People are so hard and fast.

You will miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

You’re going to the store anyway
You have an iPhone reserved and a place in line.

When it’s your turn tell them you want to swap colors memory sizes WHATEVER
Let them Help you that’s what they are there for.

Cancel Swap Exchange Return Rebuy WHATEVER
Apple will find a way so that we’re all happy

stay Positive
Nice outlook!

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Some places charge a $50 restocking fee even within the 14 day return/exchange period. Just a heads up.

Yep, AT&T and Verizon definitely do charge this and from what I have experienced, there is no way out of that. I did this last year with the XS I ordered- I didn't like it (mostly because of the PWM flicker with the OLED screen) so I exchanged it for an 8Plus within the first week- I was able to do so with no problems but did have to pay that $40 restocking fee.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
You won’t know unless you ask. I know people who have exchanged colors at the store. Don’t know details on what exactly happened or circumstances with in-store inventory, but they were successful in doing so.

There will most likely be a number of people who will regret the MG, just like some who will see it and wish they had bought it. For me, that green is way too unpredictable of a color for me to have went for it without seeing it first. Green isn’t my speed anyway.

#midnightblue2020

CVUSA

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009

stay Positive
Yep that’s right ! It happened I wanted to change my credit cards payment after I received my iPhone (online pre orders) . I went 3 different apple stores , finally one of the manager know how to process without return the phone .

Reactions: noteple

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Another thought: you haven't even seen what the green looks like in person and maybe you will decide to stick with that color.

As for exchanging, technically you haven't even bought it yet. You will have to return the green and buy the silver. Pretty sure they don't do 'exchanges.'

As for restocking fees, I'm also pretty sure that Apple does not charge them. Besides, you're not really 'returning' it. You are cancelling the pre-order.

Good luck!
Someone did an unboxing of the Midnight Green on this youtube video. There are certain angles on this video that the Midnight Green looks awful. Don't get me wrong, I love the Midnight Green, but some here have posted their change of mind to switch to another color. I'm just trying to understand why?

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Someone did an unboxing of the Midnight Green on this youtube video. There are certain angles on this video that the Midnight Green looks awful. Don't get me wrong, I love the Midnight Green, but some here have posted their change of mind to switch to another color. I'm just trying to understand why?

Yup! I went with the pine green silicone case and space gray phone for this exact reason.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

I thought it looked great the whole time.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Each to their own - to me that’s the nicest video of it I’ve seen so far.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom

stay Positive
100% agree.

Yeah, we all know the outcome is going to depend on the store, the stock levels etc, but you don’t know unless you ask. And you will undoubtedly get a better outcome if you ask nicely. People want to help nice people.

My boyfriend joined iUp when it launched in the UK with the iPhone 7 and it was a disaster. They hadn’t anticipated the demand and Barclays had major problems with their systems on the morning which caused huge delays. Some people were understanding and nice about it - some people were extremely hostile and rude to the store staff about it. You can guess which ones got better service.

Reactions: noteple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.