Returning iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnbull, Oct 24, 2011.

1. dnbull macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey guys, I'm not really an experienced person when it comes to returning items.

Basically I upgraded my iPhone 4 from a 4S and I regret making the decision.

My reasons is because it really wasn't that much different and I got overhype for it. don't get me wrong, it's a great phone but I really should have waited for reviews and whatnot so yes this is my fault.

Anyway, I ordered it online from the apple store. Is it possible to still return this phone (do I have to go to a local apple store?)

My second question is will I still lose my eligible upgrade in case the iPhone 5 comes out next year?

(my upgrade was $200)

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Have to return it to apple online. Contact them and they will tell you what to do. Your upgrade date will go back to what it was before you got the 4s. Prepare to be flamed and told you can't afford such a fine piece of tech.

3. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

LOL, you're so right, UNFORTUNATELY. It kinda sucks that so many people on here are so judgmental. While I simply LOVE my new iPhone 4S, the OP certainly has a right to his/her opinion and I respect that.

4. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

I really, really like my and Siri has nothing to do with it. For me camera, dual core.
    was playing racing games today and simply blown away how much faster they work.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Plenty of people can come up with justifications for keeping it. But the 4 vs. the 4s in terms of increasing productivity just isn't there. Calling, corresponding via text or email, sharing pics, ect isn't going to be any different between the two.

6. dnbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Siri is cool but I got bored of it. Then I realize I wasn't even a camera person.

It was a poor decision on my end so I'm taking all the blame.

I rather just save it for the next big design iPhone and use my eligibility for that one.

And the battery goes down quicker :-/

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That's because you haven't shut off half the phone. :p

8. Guinnessfan macrumors newbie

im pretty surprised that you are looking to return it...its incredibly faster and siri is amazing...not to mention the camera...i think you need to do a side by side comparison and see what you will be losing.

9. juswest macrumors regular

something tells me had a side by side comparison.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Like I said, in terms of using it as a phone and productivity there is no difference from 4 to 4s. Those going from 3G or 3Gs, they will see a big difference and gain from the redesign from their phone.

11. Guinnessfan macrumors newbie

whatever makes you happy...there were too many times that i needed a camera and whipped out my 4 only to lose the moment cause it took forever to open, and then when it did it was on video and i had to change it over...wow...slow...again this is my point of view, but valid.

12. kaizenmx macrumors regular

He's not losing anything if he is returning 4S for new android phones. Especially if he is a type of guy who uses internet browser.

13. Guinnessfan macrumors newbie

read his initial post...then we'll talk

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Nah, he's sticking with the 4. Reset his upgrade eligibility and wait for apple to release the 5.

15. harringbones macrumors newbie

If your battery is draining abnormally fast, this quick fix may help: http://bit.ly/sFsKZD

Worked for me :cool:

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, it's pretty stupid. Yes, I could afford to buy a $600 piece of tech every year....but why? I don't buy computers every year, and despite what all the cool kids on here think, it's perfectly fine to use functional tech that wasn't made within the last 6 months.

17. oshia86 macrumors regular

I applaud the op for doing what is best. If you cannot justify the new phone, then return it. At the end of the day, you are the one that has to use the phone, not some knuckleheads on a forum. Good luck. :cool:

18. zman98 macrumors member

For me the camera and Siri make it worth the upgrade. I love being able to respond to texts and easily initiate phone calls without having to type anything into the phone (among other things).

19. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I love my 4S...but the point of your post wasn't to have people try to convince you to keep it. If it isn't what you want, send it back. There's too many people in this world spending their money just to have the newest thing, mindless of whether it's the best choice for them or not.

That said, you will have to call customer service and arrange to send it back to the online store. Your upgrade eligibility will get reset, and you can continue to happily use your 4, knowing that you've saved some cash :cool:

20. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I respect your opinion, however I will say that Siri isn't anything I'm going to get bored with. I won't ask it the meaning of life everyday, but it is a useful tool I will continue to use. I drive a stick shift and being able to text by dictation is wonderful and potentially life-saving.

Also, the web-browser is much snappier (as shown by the benchmarks) which is very useful to me. I expect it to outperform the new ICS phones such as the Galaxy Nexus. My phone is something I use to accomplish tasks, and the iP4S lets me do more quicker.

That being said, for students or people who don't use their phones heavily for work everyday, the upgrade to the 4S may not be a compelling upgrade.

21. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I personally feel it is not worth upgrading to a 4S if you already have a 4. Just like the upgrade to iPad 2 is not fully worth it if you have an iPad 1.

For first time smartphone owners, people coming from a pre-4 iPhone, or people coming from an Android phone will love the 4S.

But if you have a 4, it's the same stuff and not really worth the upgrade. IMO the upgrade from iPad 1 to iPad 2 is more worthy than the upgrade from iPhone 4 to 4S. At least the iPad 2 is thinner and lighter...

22. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

It is if you are in a poor reception area and you need all the help you can. If the iPhone 4 consistently losing reception in one place where the 4s can hold onto a signal then calling, texting etc. will be very much different between the two phones. My reason for upgrading is improved reception, louder speaker and voice dictation. Siri and the new processor are irrelevant for me.

23. ijohnbro macrumors regular

the car in the racing game goes faster?

24. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

I was just looking for a thread like this. I'm still pretty torn. I have until November 25 for my upgrade eligibility to set so I have a little time to think. Yesterday, I finally got myself to the Apple store to demo the new 4s. Without activating Siri and opening the camera, it was kinda hard to distinguish he difference. It did feel a little snappier, but I felt that it wasn't significant. It also destined to have some lag as the phone ages like all my other iPhones. So far, this maybe the first phone I skip and not exactly by choice. I have two phones on my line and my wife's upgrade isn't until next year and for the first time she told me that will not let me use her upgrade and that she now wants an iPhone 5. So I'm still a tech whore, but I'm on the fringe of not getting the 4s. I haven't bought a gadget in a while and was akin to get this. Still debating.
    If AT&T were moving up people's upgrade dates early all the time I would worry but now that plays a big factor and I don't want to ruin my chances on the iP5.

25. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

I'm with you. I'm returning my 4S. I'm just not terribly impressed with it. When I compared the front facing cameras, my 4 is better. My 4S also has some weird yellow tint to the screen.