Returning mine too

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by PCtoMAC1, Nov 19, 2015.

1. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

I hate to start another thread about this, though I'm returning my 64gig Apple TV within a few days. The App Store is getting better, though I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade from my Apple TV 4 as of now.

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

If you hate to start another thread about this, why are you? o_O

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You're upgrading from the ATV 4? The latest model IS the ATV 4.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

A slightly better interface, better remote, and siri were enough for me. I really am using siri a lot...especially for searches since most of my content is iTunes, HBO, Showtime, and Netflix.

5. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I think we all know he meant ATV3, right?

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

7. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Given the competition out there, there's absolutely no justification for paying 150-200 for this lackluster device. The Roku destroys it for 100+ less. So does Fire TV.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Does the fireTV even have HBO Now? That was a deal breaker last time I considered it.

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Sounds like a perfect customer for the very good value priced Apple TV 3. ;-)

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I also value wireless AC, even though I'm hard wired :p

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok, so what should we do now chief? BTW thanks for resisting the urge to post this. It's super important for everyone everywhere to know your every move, Internet Citizen.

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Oh c'mon - Is this thread any less "important" that people frothing at the mouth over the "shipping date and progress of X product"?

How about the countless people who ask things like "Is HBO Now even on Fire TV?" -- When you pop that exact thing into Google it's the first hit, but the person asking was too lazy to do it....despite posting that question took longer than simply googling for the answer..

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Hey I feel the same way about all that stuff lol. Especially the wacko trackos.

16. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Show me which Roku or Fire TV model will stream video files in almost any format directly from a NAS without using an intermediary server somewhere in the loop and I'll send back my ATV and buy one.

17. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If he's going to be so self righteous - he should at least make sure his post is factually correct. After all, he only had to proofread two sentences.

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

Because he doesn't hate starting another thread. Its similar to people that say "I'm not racist but..."

19. mlody macrumors 6502a

Today, I returned my 32GB as well. For what I was using my ATV3, the ATV4 felt like a downgrade (no native Internet Radio and Podcast apps), cheap feeling remote. Just like I am waiting for watch 2, I will patiently wait for ATV5 with updated App store, apps etc. If ATV4, was @$99 for 32GB, I would be more keen to keep it, but at $149, this thing is not worth it for me.

20. normanfox macrumors 6502a

Glass and aluminum are not cheap. most remotes are plastic. not to mention all tech inside it.

21. mlody macrumors 6502a

I honestly do not care what it is made of. In my hands, the ATV4 remote feels cheaper then ATV3 remote. I am also one of many who had purchased iPad Air and returned it because of cheap feeling screen.

22. normanfox macrumors 6502a

you don't even like ipad air? and prefer ATV 3 remote? you must be in minority.

23. Agent2015 macrumors regular

Agent2015

Not in my book! ATV4 is best of the lot and I have tried just about everything else out there. Nothing comes close to consolidating my media library that includes a substantial investment in iTunes movies and music. With the addition of the Plex client on the ATV4 I know have my DVD and Blu Ray collection seamlessly available as well. To say nothing of the ever increasing number of apps that are getting better, better in terms of quality. Sorry my friend but the ATV4 is worth every penny!

24. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

You can just stop there.

Anyone thoroughly invested in iTunes purchases will always be best with an Apple TV.

25. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

I'm generally happy with my 32gb ATV4. Only 2 major dislikes are the new black on white interface verse the old white on black and the "missing' Amazon Prime app.

Regardless, do any of the alternatives have a hard wire ethernet input? The FireStick doesn't. My ethernet clocks 85-100Mbps with NO spooling. My previous ATVs, which also had an ethernet port, occasionally spooled to the point where I threw the towel in. I recently ran an ethernet cable to my video room and it was a huge improvement. No wifi FireSticks in my future or any other wifi only device for me.