iPhone X Returning my iPhone X today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wongster41, Nov 4, 2017.

1. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

I feel fine with my decision of going back, not here to look for validation. I'm still here posting at my desk because I'm just researching if it's worth exchanging the X for the 8 Plus. Like I said in my original post, if the X works good for you, that's great and I hope you continue to love it. I'm just posting concerns here hoping Apple will skim thru these boards and will take into consideration on what to improve on the next Plus model.

2. meikdunj macrumors regular

The X is a joy to use compared to the hefty plus model I had before. No comparison.

3. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Dang, that early? Hey, whatever you like. You got 14 days. ;) And the price for it when it isn't necessarily the best at any important area for a phone is why I would understand.

I watched The Verge and read Tom's Guide that the camera and battery life is better on the Pixel 2 XL. The P2XL's only main flaw is the display. It's not a fingerprint magnet too since most of the rear has a matte finish. Majority of flagships including my beloved LG went all-glass this year. Eww. Not my thing at all.

I still have a Best Buy pre-order and I'm not even anticipating for it anymore. There is still a chance I will get the SPACE GRAY X on Verizon if my T-Mobile signal keeps being crappy in Anaheim Hills. I do prefer its size over Pixel 2 XL. But right now, I got bills. I got a DMV bill to pay my car registration by Jan 16. Waiting on my 1099.

Save some money. Verizon third-party reseller store tried to rip me off yesterday by having ONE silver X left but asking for $200 upfront because of some pre-bundle deal. That $200 that won't deduct from the $1000. I said screw that! People need to be more practical with finances.

I feel very relieved now that my lust for the X has worn off. I feel $1000 richer. ;) Can go play my Breeders' Cup Classic race today and not worry about piling up more financial anxieties onto myself.

4. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I forgot about that 1125p screen of the iPhone X. Youtube will never support that resolution fully. If it was 1080p, 1440p, or 4K it would be truly be supported. You will never see that 1125p resolution at its best.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    Yup pretty much a 3K display.....

5. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

Mistake? I tried the X out in store yesterday trying to see if there was a compelling reason to sell my 8 Plus and jump on the new technology.

I put the 2 next to each other. The only advantages that I could really see with the X were the emoji and front facing portrait mode. I saw nothing more significant, and those were definitely not $1000 worth of better. I see this more for 6/6s/7/8 users that like the smaller form and like the bigger screen. Than it becomes a significant upgrade. From a Plus, I am not budging. The usable screen space on my 8 Plus is larger than the X, and I really enjoy my battery life. 8 Plus is definitely not a mistake.

As far as the complaints on the design being 4 years old? I’ve said it a number of times, how much innovation in design can you really do with a rounded square slab of glass on metal?

6. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly my point. 1125p screen is just odd resolution. 1080, 1440 and 2160 (4k) is the industry standard (IMO). No camera records in 1125p, so no matter what content you're watching, it wouldn't perfectly fit the entire screen.

7. back2thefu1ure macrumors newbie

The X is severely over rated. Bought one and gave it back. Those needing to justify their purchase will always find great things to say about it.
    I cannot see the differences in screen quality compared to the 7 plus/8 plus...You are also losing screen real estate...

A fool and their money are easily parted ;)

8. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I came from the 7 and I love mine so far...no complains !.............so far :p

9. batman75, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

batman75 macrumors 6502a

This new phone is amazing. I am totally used to the new controls in half a day of use. The phone is so fast and so premium feeling. It reminds me of my Porsche 911 Turbo S, my iMac, and my Herman Miller chair: in that it is a perfect, well engineered, high quality product made form high quality materials. Quite frankly it reminds me of what buying the first iPhone was like: A WOW experience.

The issue is that people often mix up whether something is excellent with whether it represents value for money. Products like the iPhone X never represent value for money - they represent the pinnacle of engineering. And this is why people who have less disposable income, people who need the money to pay their rent, would prefer an older model.

10. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Yep and there was no reason besides that notch that they couldn't have went 1440p. I think the notch caused them to negate some of the resolution. Other phones with that longer form factor went right to 1440p or stayed at 1080p. All the issues arise from that notch and that's me not trying to put down on the device but just to make some sense out of the situation. Youtube is a everyday application for most of us and you should have made your screen at least fit those standards. Also, the lack of youtube HDR support doesnt help the case either.

The notch even caused some apps to be black barred....and others to have issues etc...

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

If you’re coming from a Plus wouldn’t you check it out in a store first to make sure the smaller size didn’t bother you. I mean it was well known the 10 is smaller and more narrow than the Plus.

12. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I agree.
    1. Internet usage same
    2. YouTube same
    3. Texting same
    4. Voice same
    5. Mail same
    6. Weather app same
    7. Maps same
    I don’t play games

So, for a what I use my phone for, everything would be the same except no touch ID and an OLED screen that is really not that much better in my humble opinion, at least not over $300.00 more for me. X plus next year for me as well. course I will have to wait for the specs first ;)

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Great advice. Because that's what most really should do if they are uncertain of this new form factor or how it looks. And being that the iPhone X seems to be more regularly in Stock than most anticipated, I would certainly experience the display models before I spent $1000 to make sure the something I wanted.

14. AppleZombie, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2017

AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Translation: I bought the X so I can impress my "friends"...... grab my coat peasant!

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I'm kicking myself as I waited in line at the Apple Store for about 4 hours. They had a demo to play with, but a jump head first into it regardless. I would rather have not purchase at all than feel like a fool for returning it because I never bothered to try out the display unit that was readily available. Since I had already purchased the 8 Plus, that makes this decision more difficult.

16. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

The X isn’t much lighter than the 7 plus, if it’s that dramatic of a difference then a local gym is calling your name!

17. amyangel macrumors regular

coming from a 7+ and i really like that the overall size is smaller but the screen size is a little bigger. I don't mind it's a little narrower. most importantly for me, i love the weight it feels more substantial for me. I'm already getting use to not having a home button.

18. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

Yes the iPhone 8 and 8 plus look very antiquated now with the X out. Apple should have gotten rid of those bezels a long time ago

19. southflguy macrumors regular

You could always get a charging stand so it's angled at you.

--- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    You could always get a charging stand for work so it's always angled at you. I have a holder for the car that is angled up at me and it unlocks.

20. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

nrvna76

I’m not sure it can do anything ‘better’ as that is subjective. I chose it because the plus size phones were simply too big for me in everyday use, but it sucked to lose the better camera in the regular sized phones. Personally, the look of no home button and notch is a more appealing design, but again I wouldn’t call it better. From my quick comparison in store while waiting for my phone to update the stainless steel band and weight is way more premium imo.

If you decided to keep it longer you may be able to set up your ‘round 2’ faceid setup from a lower angle. Possibly that could help.

21. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

LMAO! You know it man!

After spending $950 on the 8 Plus I'm gonna come out of the closet and say the real reason I passed on the X didn't have anything to do with it having features I didn't care about (Face ID, animojis, OLED) while sharing features I already have on the 8 Plus (A11 Bionic, 3GB Ram, 256GB storage)...

The REAL reason is because I could take that $200 I saved and apply it towards putting gas in my clunker!

unnamed.jpg

These gas guzzling V8s are expensive to feed ya know! Sheesh!

22. kinster macrumors 65816

kinster

Why do they need to justify their purchase? They may have just bought it because they felt like it.

23. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

You have 14 days. Give it a few more. FaceID should improve with some time, both for you and the phone. You have had the phone for about 24 hours, and have two major complaints, that while valid, may disappear after a couple days of use.

As for TouchID coming back, that ship has sailed. I think FaceID is the system going forward, and in my experience so far is superior in that I don't even know I am doing it.

24. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-long-do-you-plan-on-keeping-your-x.2081595/liked-posts

^ The reply from Spink10 was the only answer I liked. Wisdom.

Think ahead and be aware of your finances. Don't be prisoners of the moment. Those bills after awhile will start to pile up.

What is sad is a better one will come along and be cheaper. I get it that it's a special 10th anniversary iPhone. Alot of us just refer to it as The X. Sounds cooler to say. Doesn't mean that every anniversary iPhone will be amazing. It's like sports. We don't know if the next game we will watch will be the best ever.

The iPhone in 2018-2020 could all be amazing and surprise us with even more features. I realized picking between tick or tock models is a waste of time. They all improve every year. Since when has it gone backwards? What matters is if those improvements are worth it. To some, not really.

We don't know the future. The iPhone in 2019 could be downright amazing too and with features that might unexpectedly surprise us. The next iPhone doesn't have to be an anniversary model to be the greatest...

25. antsgotgame macrumors newbie

antsgotgame

Waiting for the Verizon store to open at 10 am P/T screen size is a deal breaker. It’s a great phone but it’s not for me. 8plus here i come.