returning or selling watch is imminent.

Which of the following annoys you the most?

• Notifications are inconsistent

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • "Hey Siri" not working at all

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Dictation not working at times especially with longer responses

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • 3rd party apps

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • "Friends" button

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Sticky crown after a while.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Poor connection to wifi or Bluetooth device

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Band or watch skin reaction

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Tap getting weaker overtime

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Screen freezes

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
Because maybe it'll stop the whining and threads like this.....that's why.... and expressing how I feel is worth 30 secs of my time. I don't care why he or anybody wants to return it...I do care about stopping these type threads....there are at least 5 of them on the 1st three pages here.

Instead of adding content, showing pictures, asking Valid questions that would help people learn more, we have grand proclamations of "I'm going to return it "

like were supposed to discuss that?

Totally my opinion… if You don't like it you can use the ignore function here and you never have to read any of my stuff. Works for me.

Reactions: jbachandouris

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Can you add "it's impossible to use while you're sweating" b/c everyday I feel like ripping it off my wrist when I try to use it while exercising.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Because maybe it'll stop the whining and threads like this... ...there are at least 5 of them on the 1st three pages here.

Funny, I felt the exact same way about the literally dozens of shipment tracking threads over the past month (at least one tracking thread for every size, material, and band color, really?), which everyone else seemed perfectly happy with.

So I guess it's ok to mindlessly overrun a forum with useless shipping threads, but not OK to post a few that air complaints once the watch is in everyone's hot little hands. And don't even think of using the word redundant, because the mind numbing terabyte of tracking threads were the very definition of redundant.

Reactions: jigzaw

Ben_Dover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
I don't know why many people are bothered with this post. I made the title clear so if you don't like it you can skip it.

I don't like shipping threads, or sizes and watch type specific threads, or obvious troll threads so I skip it. Simple. (The irony)

If I don't like the watch so return it or sell it - simple. I cannot return it it's past the date. Selling it is just a waste of money. Why did I wait so long before I decided to return it? Because I like the watch and was hoping there will be an update soon.

1St gen adopter? Always. Been. Happy.

Relax.

Reactions: Cpt. Gilgamesh

Ben_Dover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Here's the thing... are you an early adopter of first generation Apple products?

Because, many of the things on your list can be written off to early adopter issues. Your screen freezes sometimes. Big deal. This is a thing that happens with first gen stuff. If I had returned my first gen iPhone the first time I had my screen freeze (or the 40th, for that matter) and if everyone else had done it too? There wouldn't be an iPhone right now. It's just the nature of the early adopter thing.

If my Apple Watch screen freezes, I just reboot the damned thing and go on about my business. It doesn't happen often enough for me to be concerned, especially since we don't even have watchOS2 yet.

If it bothers you? Return it already. I think you should anyway because it sounds like you got a dud. And you're allergic to it. The one thing mine has given me zero issues with entirely is my ability to wear it without breaking out in a rash or some such. I also haven't had my crown stick and I cannot say as I've had taps growing weaker over time (that seems more like you got used to it than it actually got weaker, but maybe yours did since it seems to be a dud).

The others have all happened to me at least once or twice. No big deal, really.
Thanks! I definitely got a dud because my brothers watch, although buggy, is still way better than mine.

Reactions: bunnicula

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks! I definitely got a dud because my brothers watch, although buggy, is still way better than mine.
We have 4 people in my house all wearing 38mm SS Watches. Nobody has had the persistent issues you're describing, so I think yours really is defective. Whether you return it and wait or swap it for another, I hope it works out for you. :)

Reactions: PirateP

cwerdna

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
If I don't like the watch so return it or sell it - simple. I cannot return it it's past the date. Selling it is just a waste of money. Why did I wait so long before I decided to return it? Because I like the watch and was hoping there will be an update soon.
Waste of money? You still have some time to sell it for at least breakeven, if not a profit. Put it up for sale NOW! Obviously, this opportunity will vanish once it becomes readily available at retail.

FWIW, I sold my first 38 mm SGS Apple Watch on the last day of my return period for a slight profit, about $40 (including the tax I had to pay), after using it for 2 weeks. It arrived on May 15th as I didn't order early enough.

I ordered another and a few days before my return period was over, I sold it for a $40 profit again on Saturday, June 13th, after it'd be worn for about a week.

And, I've ordered another... I guess I will keep one in the end, but if the this next one nets me $40+ profit, I'll take it and keep going.

As I've posted before, I'm not sure the watch is worth $380 (price for me w/tax) given my use cases and what I use/care about and don't use/care about. If it were $150, it'd be a no brainer. I'd keep it.

Last edited:

starbot

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2005
Wow... get over it man, no one forced you to buy a first gen device, and no one is forcing you to keep it.

You call Apple and you tell them what a terrible product they shipped! I'm sure they set out to build an ultra small form factor computer that's shockingly capable just to ruin your day!

I find these issues on my watch after 3 weeks of use. Initially, everything was going smoothly with minor concerns. Tried EVERYTHING. now I'm pass returns. Calling Apple tomorrow.

Is your watch still working as it should be?

Reactions: PirateP

jigzaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Because maybe it'll stop the whining and threads like this.....that's why.... and expressing how I feel is worth 30 secs of my time. I don't care why he or anybody wants to return it...I do care about stopping these type threads....there are at least 5 of them on the 1st three pages here.

Instead of adding content, showing pictures, asking Valid questions that would help people learn more, we have grand proclamations of "I'm going to return it "

Totally my opinion… if You don't like it you can use the ignore function here and you never have to read any of my stuff. Works for me.
Not everyone haunts these forums all day long, so those who do are bound to see repeat-style threads. There's just no getting around that. As others have mentioned, there were so many shipping/tracking threads for each possible model and band of the Watch, that it seems what bothers you isn't redundancy but the "negativity" or "whining". This happens a lot. "If you don't like the product, shut up and go away." That makes sense when a poster is an obvious troll who's pushing Android or something, but I've never understood why forums like this bother people when they're not EVERYTHING IS AWESOME-land.

Funny, I felt the exact same way about the literally dozens of shipment tracking threads over the past month (at least one tracking thread for every size, material, and band color, really?), which everyone else seemed perfectly happy with.

So I guess it's ok to mindlessly overrun a forum with useless shipping threads, but not OK to post a few that air complaints once the watch is in everyone's hot little hands. And don't even think of using the word redundant, because the mind numbing terabyte of tracking threads were the very definition of redundant.
My suspicion is some are insecure with their purchase because it is pricey and/or there may be a newer model in the coming months or whatever and when they read posts about why one has changed their mind about owning a watch or has issues with it, they feel almost personally attacked because they were kind of unsure about whether they were being honest with themselves and the mind gets really annoyed at things that shake it's need to be consistent with the story it tells itself. My feeling is that forums should be pretty much anything-goes and should be welcoming of both positive and negative opinions for discussion.

Regarding the original intent of this thread, I had the watch for a week and didn't have any of the issues it sounds like the OP is having. I checked "Third Party apps" because that's the most obvious place where there is room for improvement. Otherwise, it sounds like you got a lemon.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Wow... get over it man, no one forced you to buy a first gen device, and no one is forcing you to keep it.

You call Apple and you tell them what a terrible product they shipped! I'm sure they set out to build an ultra small form factor computer that's shockingly capable just to ruin your day!
Sounds like his watch is defective and he's wondering if others are having this experience. Don't know why this shakes your world so much. He's not going to take your watch away from you. Haha.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Not everyone haunts these forums all day long, so those who do are bound to see repeat-style threads. There's just no getting around that. As others have mentioned, there were so many shipping/tracking threads for each possible model and band of the Watch, that it seems what bothers you isn't redundancy but the "negativity" or "whining". This happens a lot. "If you don't like the product, shut up and go away." That makes sense when a poster is an obvious troll who's pushing Android or something, but I've never understood why forums like this bother people when they're not EVERYTHING IS AWESOME-land.

My suspicion is some are insecure with their purchase because it is pricey and/or there may be a newer model in the coming months or whatever and when they read posts about why one has changed their mind about owning a watch or has issues with it, they feel almost personally attacked because they were kind of unsure about whether they were being honest with themselves and the mind gets really annoyed at things that shake it's need to be consistent with the story it tells itself. My feeling is that forums should be pretty much anything-goes and should be welcoming of both positive and negative opinions for discussion.

Regarding the original intent of this thread, I had the watch for a week and didn't have any of the issues it sounds like the OP is having. I checked "Third Party apps" because that's the most obvious place where there is room for improvement. Otherwise, it sounds like you got a lemon.

I see your reasoning there and there is sense to it. But I just don't understand why someone would spend money on something that they either weren't sure they wanted or weren't sure they could afford.

I mean, either buy it and be happy with it and enjoy it. Or if your not, just get rid of it.

I'm looking forward to getting my apps up and running natively on the watch. It's really annoying being limited with the current set up. Especially when people think the developer is doing something wrong, when in actual fact we are just limited by the operating system. Of course I'm also looking forward to the other apps I use running better as well.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Only thing I think I may notice is a weak haptic feedback with notifications, but the prominent haptic option seems to solve that issue.

I'm sorry that you seem to have all of these issues with your Watch; not sure what the forum could do besides recommending normal troubleshooting or repair.
Even with prominent if I am moving around or out and about, I can easily miss the haptic tap. Wish Apple would allow us to customize this haptic tapper or at least allow me to turn on my phone sounds again as the little beep is cr^p when in a less than quiet environment!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The only issue I've had was with my watch not receiving notifications, which was easily remedied by off and on "Allow Notifications" on my iPhone.

I think every issue can be fixed to "some extent"...

Lol!

You: Hey, Siri! Are you listening to me?
Siri: Hmm? Did you say something? :rolleyes:
Agree 100% on your notifications wish. Apple has always been behind on custom notifications.

Reactions: Jack426

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
The only thing that I still have trouble with is the performance of non-native apps and certain 1st party apps like Weather. Sometimes takes so long to load I give up.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
The third party apps definitely suck. And Siri ignores me occasionally.

But those two issues certainly aren't going to make me return it. Sounds like a lemon, OP. Swap it out.

Ben_Dover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
I see your reasoning there and there is sense to it. But I just don't understand why someone would spend money on something that they either weren't sure they wanted or weren't sure they could afford.

I mean, either buy it and be happy with it and enjoy it. Or if your not, just get rid of it.

I'm looking forward to getting my apps up and running natively on the watch. It's really annoying being limited with the current set up. Especially when people think the developer is doing something wrong, when in actual fact we are just limited by the operating system. Of course I'm also looking forward to the other apps I use running better as well.
I was very sure I wanted it. Money is not an issue. If I want it id buy it. I enjoyed the first 2 weeks, it was awesome! Lately, it became just a watch.

I check watch - no notification but my phone had notifications. Open weather and nothing's happening. "Hey Siri send a message to ----" and the screen shows me the transcription of the command but nothing happening. The notif for act goals show but when I dismiss or clear it, the overlay stays (like the hazy window that comes on) or freezes. I wouldn't feel the taptic of that notif too but it dings. And so on.

I was optimistic for a software update fix soon but not happening.

Glad yours is perfect.

Ben_Dover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015

I didn't mention my days were ruined. Annoyed? Yeah. But a RUINED day is an exaggeration. My house on fire might ruin my day.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
...I cannot return it it's past the date. Selling it is just a waste of money...
You should still [nicely] explain to Apple whats going on and that you would like a refund. I've had good luck with them being flexible extending returns for other products outside the 14 day window.

Never hurts to try (unless you already have and they said no).

Last edited:

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
No garanutees but never hurts to try (unless you already have and they said no).
Being really, really nice with an AppleCare advisor who's willing to sacrifice their escalation rate to get you to a tier 2 advisor could do the trick. Read all the KBases you can find on the subject, try the steps, then kiss butt. It's guaranteed to maybe work.