Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Any update on this? I'm contemplating upgrading my Series 4 as well and am considering the Ultra vs standard 45mm watch. How has the adjustment period gone?
The Ultra is heavier and it carries a lot of its weight in the glass, which is kinda high off the wrist. So IMO, the watch feels a little heavy, but the bigger issue is how the weight is somewhat off the wrist.

To counter this, I have found that using a band that allows for micro adjustments, so that the watch is held snugly, but not too tight (i.e. Trail Loop). Another option is the Ocean band. It doesn't have micro adjustments, but does stretch slightly, so again it can be adjusted to be snug but not overly tight.

I didn't mention the Alpine Loop, but its a nice band that works in some instances as well.

In the end, most folks are fine with the Ultra once they find a band they like. Some folks do find that it's too heavy. You just have to try it to find out. I suggest buying from somewhere that allows a return if you decide it's not for you.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
So you are telling people not to buy a band that you've never even worn? SMH. 🤦 You can't make definitive statements like that with no actual experience. Come On Man. LOL
I mean, I owned it...

But here are my Peer Reviewed MLA Formatted Citations 🤣:
As someone with all three bands for the Ultra, I agree with this. If you were long sleeves often, the Ocean Band is the hardest to fit under a cuff. It’s internally made to be extra long for when it’s adjusted to go over a wetsuit.

The alpine loop and the trail loop are much thinner and less obtrusive.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
As someone with all three bands for the Ultra, I agree with this. If you were long sleeves often, the Ocean Band is the hardest to fit under a cuff. It’s internally made to be extra long for when it’s adjusted to go over a wetsuit.

The alpine loop and the trail loop are much thinner and less obtrusive.
I have all three as well and like all of them. Love my white ocean band but yes it’s bigger especially on the underside compared to the trail and alpine

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The Ultra is heavier and it carries a lot of its weight in the glass, which is kinda high off the wrist. So IMO, the watch feels a little heavy, but the bigger issue is how the weight is somewhat off the wrist.

To counter this, I have found that using a band that allows for micro adjustments, so that the watch is held snugly, but not too tight (i.e. Trail Loop). Another option is the Ocean band. It doesn't have micro adjustments, but does stretch slightly, so again it can be adjusted to be snug but not overly tight.

I didn't mention the Alpine Loop, but its a nice band that works in some instances as well.

In the end, most folks are fine with the Ultra once they find a band they like. Some folks do find that it's too heavy. You just have to try it to find out. I suggest buying from somewhere that allows a return if you decide it's not for you.

That’s ultimately what I did. Picked one up on Amazon with the trail loop. Got 15 days with them to make a call on what to do. Figured that made more sense than sifting through other people’s subjective options on something like feel.

Reactions: dmccombs

Z6128

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
I really love the big and bright screen, but I noticed it’s so big that it almost limits my wrist mobility. If i bend my wrist, the side with the crown just digs into my hand. I have one more day to decide if I’m going to keep it or not, and I’m really torn.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
went from 40mm 5 to Ultra 2 and Ultra is light. I remember feeling more uncomfortable with the steel watch weight.
I alternate the bands between the white ocean and the Trail. My only issue with the Ocean is the bottom buckle rubs against my MacBook.

Is there anyway to get a longer ocean piece where the buckle is so I can have it at the side instead of on the bottom?

there is a knockoff Trail band in NAVY color with an orange stripe on one end. It's actually nice looking on the watch and I usually dislike navy color. Got a 3 pack for under $15 on amazon.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

I find the Ocean band does a really good job of distributing the weight/balance of the watch and actually makes the watch look a bit smaller since the band is wide and doesn't come down around one's wrist from the watch itself at such a steep angle like the softer bands might.

When the Ultra first came out, I thought there was no way in hell I could pull it off.
Tried one on about 6 months ago. Thought "hmmm, it's not as bad as I thought."
Decided to purchase the Ultra 2 when it came out.
Made the right decision.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I just got an Ultra 2. If you are a small person of any gender, the bands it comes with will look hyper clunky. But if you still have bands from older generations of apple watches, these actually look really neat and don't make the watch look as clunky.

Duffman19

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2022
I find the Ocean band does a really good job of distributing the weight/balance of the watch and actually makes the watch look a bit smaller since the band is wide and doesn't come down around one's wrist from the watch itself at such a steep angle like the softer bands might.

You make a great point. I think some folks get caught up in finding a light weight band to make an overall lighter package, but comfort is probably more about balance. Having a heavy watch attached to a lightweight, less structured band means the watch will want to rotate away from the top of the wrist, causing the wearer to tighten it down more. A heavier, more solid band helps counterbalance the watch and can be worn a bit looser, feeling a bit more comfortable.

The Trail bands are great for workouts when you want a tighter fit and the ability to adjust on the go. But the Ocean and Alpine bands are probably a better match for the weight of the Ultra for casual wear when you don't need it strapped down tight.

Kevsurf

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
I received the Ultra 2 a couple of days before and I am still not sure if I keep it.
In fact, I really like how the watch feels compared to my S8. It makes the S8 feel like a toy. My S8 already has a chip in the housing, and I dislike, that the screen has no sapphire crystal. The size of the U2 is also perfect, it just fits my wirst and I am glad that I don't have small wrists.
Generally speaking, I always wanted a premium (analog) watch, but in everyday life I rely on my Apple Watch because I use it as a remote for my Cochlea Implants and also to wake me up each morning (during sleeping I don't wear the Cochleas hence I am deaf).
I also do a lot of sports like gym, HITT, running and hiking. I am not diving or a triathlon guy. As a result, I will never use all features of the Ultra 2.
The only 2 things that makes me hesitate in keeping it, are that the S8 is also as capable as the U2 and the U2's rather bulky size which makes it somehow hard to dress up wearing it.

Reactions: delsoul

Whigu

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2022
I just got an Ultra 2. If you are a small person of any gender, the bands it comes with will look hyper clunky. But if you still have bands from older generations of apple watches, these actually look really neat and don't make the watch look as clunky.
My Ultra 2 came with trail loop and I don't think that it will make watch look hyper clunky?

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
My Ultra 2 came with trail loop and I don't think that it will make watch look hyper clunky?
Mine came with the ocean band and while I like it, I quickly switched to the trail loop. It definitely doesn't make it appear any more clunky that it might be and it is only 9 grams, vs the ocean band's 34 grams. That weight difference makes it feel like an overall lighter watch. Not as light as an AW, but definitely lighter. The Ultra 2 is a big watch and I'll take any weight reduction I can get.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Have to agree with that statement. Ultra 2 is like a feather on my wrist compared to my Omega.

Only omega in my lineup is a speedy pro, that said I never noticed the weight of a watch in day to day ops, even my marathon GSAR, some folks need to eat a steak I guess ;)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Mine came with the ocean band and while I like it, I quickly switched to the trail loop. It definitely doesn't make it appear any more clunky that it might be and it is only 9 grams, vs the ocean band's 34 grams. That weight difference makes it feel like an overall lighter watch. Not as light as an AW, but definitely lighter. The Ultra 2 is a big watch and I'll take any weight reduction I can get.
The trail loop felt too flimsy with the U2. Especially at the clasp.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I received the Ultra 2 a couple of days before and I am still not sure if I keep it.
In fact, I really like how the watch feels compared to my S8. It makes the S8 feel like a toy. My S8 already has a chip in the housing, and I dislike, that the screen has no sapphire crystal. The size of the U2 is also perfect, it just fits my wirst and I am glad that I don't have small wrists.
Generally speaking, I always wanted a premium (analog) watch, but in everyday life I rely on my Apple Watch because I use it as a remote for my Cochlea Implants and also to wake me up each morning (during sleeping I don't wear the Cochleas hence I am deaf).
I also do a lot of sports like gym, HITT, running and hiking. I am not diving or a triathlon guy. As a result, I will never use all features of the Ultra 2.
The only 2 things that makes me hesitate in keeping it, are that the S8 is also as capable as the U2 and the U2's rather bulky size which makes it somehow hard to dress up wearing it.
Not sure why you are hung up on the AWU not looking like a dress watch. It was never marketed as such. If you need a nicer watch for out on the town, use a different watch during those times. If you return the watch over the "dress" aspect, then the problem isn't really the watch. It is your wrongful projection of what the watch really is that needs some reigning in, in my opinion.

Eagle2

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2020
1697669847954.jpeg

Trying to decide which one to keep as I like both. The U2 has better function but the S9 steel aesthetics to me seem much nicer and versatile.. not sure

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 72

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
View attachment 2298201

Trying to decide which one to keep as I like both. The U2 has better function but the S9 steel aesthetics to me seem much nicer and versatile.. not sure

I still have my Series 7 stainless steel for dressier occasions. I totally agree with you that the series watches are more versatile style wise, but it is so hard to wear anything other than my Ultra. It’s just too nice to have the brighter screen and the longer battery life. I hate having to baby a watch to make sure it lasts through the whole day. I also have awful battery anxiety when things get close to 20-30%.

Long story short, the functionality benefits are worth the slight decrease in versatility, and I find I can pull of my Ultra with most outfits. After all , I used to wear my Seamaster and other dive watches with dressier clothes.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
View attachment 2298201

I’ve had steel watches since the very first Apple Watch all through to the S7 and loved them. The Ultra is just level above in features and the style looks great IMO. It reminds me of the sportiness of a divers watch while the steel S9 looks a bit more like a dress watch. Styles are different but Ultra for me is great option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.