Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
While not quite as classy, the Ultras can be dressed up to look more sophisticated.

Looking forward to bringing the leather strap with me on business trips. That setup is much dressier than the AW S4 and Nike sport loop I wore all the time.
If I needed a dressy watch, I’d wear a real one.

1697774685761.jpeg

1697774797741.jpeg

1697774870086.jpeg

MatthewUT44

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2015
Arizona
Picked up an ultra 1 at Best Buy for $629, compared to $529 for the series 9 ( I need celluar) I am on the verge of returning my ultra 1. I like it but its chonky. Plus its a generation behind :D

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
I didn't return my ultra but after nearly 14 months with V1 I sold it yesterday, got half what I paid back, mainly bought it for surfing but they don't go good in the water screen wise, very buggy, not very touch sensitive, swapped faces all the time lol, also a lot heavier than needed v a ripcurl type watch for just telling the time surfing.
Only other use was while working the dog but cellular was hit and miss streaming radio and also getting messages, Mrs would message me and I wouldn't get it but was on my phone when I got home.
Actually nice to have a walk and not be connected. Only had a few side scratches but screen was good, was still 98% battery. Good watch but not for me, may look at next years V10.

Back to a good old seiko divers for every day use lol.

IMG_0510.jpeg

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I went to the Ultra 2 from the S6 and size and weight have not been an issue. It's a lightweight compared to my old Suunto sports watch.
One thing about the ULTRA, regardless of vintage is that it really FEELS a lot lighter than it would appear.. and IS lighter than it would appear. My Rolex and IWC, while smaller are HEAVIER and carry more weight overall, but they aren’t titanium and composite of course.

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
One thing about the ULTRA, regardless of vintage is that it really FEELS a lot lighter than it would appear.. and IS lighter than it would appear. My Rolex and IWC, while smaller are HEAVIER and carry more weight overall, but they aren’t titanium and composite of course.
We do not care that you have Rolex. Do not show off. I have Omega and I do not need to tell it to anyone..

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
We do not care that you have Rolex. Do not show off. I have Omega and I do not need to tell it to anyone..
Does it make me a bad person that the only mechanical watches I’ve ever owned or cared to own were cheaper Timex watches? 😂

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I don’t think the person you were quoting was showing off, well any more than you are by announcing you wear an Omega, it’s just a comparison they made. Theres an entire thread on here about mechanical watches and it would be very dull if posters didn’t share watch models they are wearing.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Was trying to create a related post to other large watches, especially watches I haven’t worn in nearly 10 years now.

But as usual, everyone reads through their own lens.

Just ignore him. He’s got issues clearly.

There is nothing wrong mentioning that you have Rolex at all. If someone gets triggered by it, it’s something that is an issue with that person.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
I think it’s a great watch, and I love the action button and the titanium body. However I was disappointed that the screen size seems to be only slightly (and I’m talking less than a mm) larger than my series 7. Hoping next year they’ll actually make the screen larger. At least it saved me $800
I've had the series 2 and 7 and then AWU.
I always found the large size of the regular too small for my wrist.
I find the screen feels larger but it may not be.

in the end while the 7 was more comfortable to sleep with, I always ended up with a dead watch in 24 hours.
I can push nearly 60 hours out of my AWU, that was enough for me to keep it, an inexpensive titanium band from Amazon and its near perfect for me.

Either way I am sure you will be happy with whatever watch you keep.

Reactions: xDKP

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I've had the series 2 and 7 and then AWU.
I always found the large size of the regular too small for my wrist.
I find the screen feels larger but it may not be.

in the end while the 7 was more comfortable to sleep with, I always ended up with a dead watch in 24 hours.
I can push nearly 60 hours out of my AWU, that was enough for me to keep it, an inexpensive titanium band from Amazon and its near perfect for me.

Either way I am sure you will be happy with whatever watch you keep.
As silly or cumbersome as it might sound, IF one still has something great than a 6 (for O2 sensing) it’s VERY easy and reliable to switch watches for the overnight. The HEALTH and ACTIVITY apps do this switch seamlessly, or mostly, and then one just swaps out during a morning hygiene routine (or not, up to you) and put the Ultra back on. I did this for a bit early on, but found that the Ultra was lasting right up to 3 days even with 2.5 hours of workouts tracked, so swapping wasn’t necessary and I didn’t find the watch overall too large or heavy for nighttime wear.

Reactions: seajewel

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I like the adapters for the leather band - custom ones? Seem to match the Ultra nicely
It’s actually a $20 band off AliExpress.

The quality for the price is insane. Real and soft leather, great smell, perfect matching and fitting lugs to the ultra. Stitching is very, very good.

I actually like it better than my 2 apple leather link bands. It’s really my second favorite band behind the alpine loop for the ultra. It is ridiculously comfortable for as dressy as it looks.
I’d pay $50-$75 without hesitation if I knew the quality was this good and there were no better options.

But, for $20, I think everyone with an ultra should buy one frankly.

Post in thread 'The Great "Third Party Band/Strap" Thread'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-great-third-party-band-strap-thread.1866289/post-32637761

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
It’s actually a $20 band off AliExpress.

The quality for the price is insane. Real and soft leather, great smell, perfect matching and fitting lugs to the ultra. Stitching is very, very good.

I actually like it better than my 2 apple leather link bands. It’s really my second favorite band behind the alpine loop for the ultra. It is ridiculously comfortable for as dressy as it looks.
I’d pay $50-$75 without hesitation if I knew the quality was this good and there were no better options.

But, for $20, I think everyone with an ultra should buy one frankly.

Post in thread 'The Great "Third Party Band/Strap" Thread'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-great-third-party-band-strap-thread.1866289/post-32637761
I would say, for the adapters alone, I think it would be worth it if the match is as good as it seems! Thanks for sharing

Reactions: adam1080

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Not returning! I was sure I was going to upgrade my AW5 to an AW9. Almost ordered it on line. I went to the Apple store and looked at the lineup, and the Ultra on the display looked so big. Made one more trip and actually tried on the Ultra, and bought one the same day.

Now I'm trying to get used to the extra battery life! I used to charge every night. But with the Ultra I am just using 30% or so during the day. Looks like every other night would work out.

Just sold another of my analog watches. Funny how you can get hooked on a smart watch. Might keep one analog for dress, but it only comes out once or twice a year . . .

Reactions: jetsam

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
Returning my Ultra 2. Love the watch for what it is. Works fantastic.

Great for phoneless behaviour (my goal), great for notifications and tracking. Awesome battery life and build quality.

Why return?

1. It is bulky and hard to wear with clothes that fit semi-tight around my wrists.
2. I can go phoneless and take calls etc. but very few of my work calls are allowed to be taken audibly loud. (Personal content) So going phoneless means I would have to carry earbuds in my pocket for calls. Also, the keyboard US-customers get is not available here - and dictation is not good enough for most of the texts I send.
3. The battery lasts 2+ days. But I could charge the watch every night since I live a normal life and sleep in my bed without trackers on. Any AW would last a full day including going for longer runs with music++

I would miss AOD, but I have turned it off on my phone and I could manage with the watch as well at that price.

EDIT:
On second thought:
After using the SE 44 mm for a couple of days - I am actually getting another Ultra 2. Having gotten used to the flat screen and design the SE felt like a toy and I also found the edges of the screen not as responsive as I would like. Also, no AOD is a big negative. I also got the watch at 20% off so that helps.

I see a lot of Garmin-owners wearing the their shirt rolled back a bit so in terms of wearing it with a shirt it seems that "anything goes" these days. :)

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Sold my Ultra 1 and bought SS AW9 45. Sold it because I felt it was too big for my wrist but I’m spoiled by Ultra’s great battery life.

Might buy Ultra 2 and sell my AW9. An unwise decision for sure. Doubt I can wait until September for Ultra 3. We’ll see.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I still have my old Apple Series 6. It has the same chip as the Series 8 and Ultra 1, so it's still good to go.

But for some strange reason, the Ultra 2 is more comfortable on my wrist than the smaller Series 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.