Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I still have my old Apple Series 6. It has the same chip as the Series 8 and Ultra 1, so it's still good to go.

But for some strange reason, the Ultra 2 is more comfortable on my wrist than the smaller Series 6.
Especially with a nice alpine loop! 😊

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Gut check: Best Buy still has a narrow selection of Ultra 1's (brand new, in box) on sale. The variety I'd be interested in is a very tempting $599. Good idea? Bad idea? Seems like a great way to save $200, but would love to hear if I'm missing something.

I already know I want an Ultra, so that's not in question. Currently have a Series 6 which still works fine, but my old man eyes are ready for a bigger screen and I spend a lot of time hiking and exploring in the back country here in Colorado; Running a hiking workout all day just destroys my 6's battery. I need more, of everything.

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Gut check: Best Buy still has a narrow selection of Ultra 1's (brand new, in box) on sale. The variety I'd be interested in is a very tempting $599. Good idea? Bad idea? Seems like a great way to save $200, but would love to hear if I'm missing something.

I already know I want an Ultra, so that's not in question. Currently have a Series 6 which still works fine, but my old man eyes are ready for a bigger screen and I spend a lot of time hiking and exploring in the back country here in Colorado; Running a hiking workout all day just destroys my 6's battery. I need more, of everything.

I bought an Ultra 1 in May on offer (about £50 off) and was happy with it. I did though just upgrade to an Ultra 2 and sold my U1 back to apple for £340.

Not a huge difference and if you have the extra $200 spare, just do it and get a U2. However, IMO you wont be disappointed with the U1 at all.

Reactions: cateye

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

Ultra2 has been on sale already for $100 off, so in my book that Best Buy deal you mention is not a deal

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Appreciate the responses. $200 is a decent discount, but maybe not enough. Yes, the Ultra 2 was $100 off during the holidays, but that time is over (and the Ultra 1 I'm looking at only dropped to $599 recently, so... what's the saying? "That's how they get you." ;) )

But, I'll keep an eye on it and Ultra 2 prices for now, no need to jump immediately.

Reactions: BillGates1969

Mirilobos

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
El Paso
Appreciate the responses. $200 is a decent discount, but maybe not enough. Yes, the Ultra 2 was $100 off during the holidays, but that time is over (and the Ultra 1 I'm looking at only dropped to $599 recently, so... what's the saying? "That's how they get you." ;) )

But, I'll keep an eye on it and Ultra 2 prices for now, no need to jump immediately.
Costco has the best prices in all Apple Watches.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Well…. I gave the Ultra watch another chance, and still ended up feeling a slight fatigue in my wrist.

Felt ok on the first couple days, but today I felt it annoying the lower part of my arm.

Strap was tightened normally, not over tight, and I also tried my Series 8 strap but still same issue

Ultra 2 sent back and keeping my Series 8 SS :( wanted to love it but sadly it annoyed the hell out of my lower arm.

Reactions: Kevsurf
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.