Revamped Apple Maps Now Available in Texas, Louisiana, and Southern Mississippi

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last year, Apple announced plans to rebuild its Maps app with its own first-party data. The overall look and feel of Apple Maps is similar, but zooming and panning reveals more details like grass, trees, sports fields, and parking lots. Apple is also focused on making search results more relevant.

[​IMG]

The improvements first rolled out in Northern California in July 2018, followed by Hawaii and Southern California in November 2018, and Arizona, New Mexico, and the Las Vegas metropolitan area in April 2019.

Now, the updated data is available across Texas, Louisiana, and the southern half of Mississippi, as Apple continues its pattern of rolling out the updated maps in adjacent continental U.S. states. Zooming into these regions displays more details and greenery in Apple Maps across the iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

At WWDC 2019, Apple said the updated maps will roll out to the entire United States by the end of the year, followed by additional countries in 2020.

(Thanks, Trevor K. and Chet C.!)

Article Link: Revamped Apple Maps Now Available in Texas, Louisiana, and Southern Mississippi

2. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

I've always loved how Apple maps are integrated into so many IOS applications, but Apple needs to continue to improve the accuracy of its maps to rival Google.

3. mmomega macrumors 68040

mmomega

4. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Kudos for all these new map updates. Ive heard that the places around the globe that are actually updated are stunningly more detailed and accurate. Much needed and welcome improvement.

5. wbrat macrumors regular

Great. And rolling out for the first city in my country by 2080.

6. NMBob macrumors 6502a

Did they use an air boat in the swamps and catch all of the "roads" in those parts?

7. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Why post this? No one is forcing you to visit these areas.

8. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

C'mon, Columbus! Lets hurry up with the bigger cities!

9. repoman016 macrumors member

repoman016

This is a welcome improvement. I want to like apple maps, i really do, but google is so far ahead right now its hard to not use it

10. schlitzz macrumors member

schlitzz

Making it easier to find a dentist in Southern Mississippi......

11. foobarbaz macrumors 6502a

My biggest concern is how they plan on keeping the maps up to date.

It sounds like they have this big pan to survey the entire world, but to actually have good maps they‘d have to continuously survey the same places over and over again.

12. femike macrumors 6502

Google has sent a van down my street 2 times, Apple won't get here for decades to come. You got to start somewhere I guess.

13. urbanslaughter1997 macrumors regular

I just haven't found this to be the case in my experience. I have both Apple Maps and Google Maps on my devices. I typically use Apple simply because it is integrated directly in IOS, but every once in a while I'll use Google. They are remarkably similar. It's rare that I notice a difference, but I'm someone who only had a problem with Apple maps in the very beginning.

14. gaximus macrumors 6502a

I love Apple Maps, but since I started using Waze, I can't go back, having crowd sourced data for traffic, car accidents, and police, makes my drives so much better. And there are a ton of things I hate about Waze, but I still use it for those features.

15. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

I've used only Apple Maps on my devices for years now and haven't missed Google Maps (still my default on a traditional web browser) but I welcome any and all mapping improvements.

16. TroutDeep macrumors newbie

Dallas-FTW(orth)

17. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

I guess this depends on where you live. I use Apple Maps and find the traffic to be very accurate. I’ve even approached road construction and had Siri respond “There’s single lane traffic ahead, however you are still on the fastest route” when my initial reaction was “Why did you route me through construction?” The only thing missing for me is police.

18. millerlite macrumors regular

millerlite

But it is accurate. I don't understand how Apple Maps continues to hold onto this 'inaccurate' label after so many years of development - and it is now accurate. At least as accurate as any other mapping app. Even Google can't keep up with every little change in the road systems around the world. I use Apple Maps all the time and have never had a problem.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2019 ---
    THEY ARE... Where have you been?

19. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Great job Apple, just keep improving it.

I'm with you on the report the police thing from Waze - do this please Apple. I've had the same experience though as far accuracy (Chicago area) and had to have Apple Maps get me to my destination a few times over the last year where Google took me to the wrong location. But yeah depends on where you are - there's going to be places where Apple Maps isn't accurate.

20. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Apple can't possibly have the same accuracy of traffic data as Google because iPhone market share is very low (10+ %?). It will be better in US.

21. konqerror macrumors 6502a

Apple's POIs still suck. It's not an issue with the roads, it's the destinations. Google has much better business visibility in part due to their high-dollar advertising operations, reviews on Maps, tracking Android users (e.g. their busy charts), leading search technology, and heavy crowdsourcing (Waze).

Apple have this, they just rely on manual reports, tiny anonymized snippets, and data bought from Yelp.

22. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

I doubt all those owners of $50-100 Android devices even own cars, so how can they contribute to traffic data? Maybe riding their bikes?

23. jerryk, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019

jerryk macrumors 601

Apple still has maps. Why? What do they offer that Google does not? And how does the accuracy of the two compare for things like traffic, train, and ferry schedules, etc.

Plus Google owns Waze, so is getting real time traffic updates from devices using Waze.

24. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Why is there more than one brand of supermarket or gas station where you live?

I find Apple Maps to be quite a bit nicer than Google Maps.

25. MauiPa macrumors 6502

sounds like a great investment idea for you and your countrymen then. don't rely on big US companies, do it better yourselves with local talent.