Revamped Apple Maps Now Available in Texas, Louisiana, and Southern Mississippi

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Term "market share" usually refers to sales and this is how I used it. iPhone market share is 10+%. There is no need to guesstimate this. Information is easily available. The number of current users may differ (in part because iPhone market share was higher not so long ago and those phones are still in use) but in a long run the percentage should be close.
The only “market share” numbers that matter are active users. Those are devices that will (in this case) provide data for traffic.

Since Google and Apple have provided these numbers we already know active users for Apple is way above 10%.

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016
Ummm ... no. The reason it is used more than Google Maps on the iPhone is that Apple sets it as the default map option and doesn't give consumers the ability to change the default.[/QUOTE]

You didn't read carefully. Here's from my post-

"Save your time posting about it being the default app. Google Maps has 100% brand awareness, is free, and takes about 30 seconds to download on the iPhone. People wouldn't continue to use Apple Maps, or any mapping service, if it wasn't accurate."

Claiming that the only reason Apple Maps usage dwarfs Google Maps usage is because it is the default app is poor reasoning because it suggests that people are irrational and use an inferior service for a critical function like getting you to your destinations on time, when there are multiple good and free ones, such as GM, Waze, HERE, etc., that everyone is aware of and can add to their phones in less than a minute.

Here's another hint that your thinking is out of date-- DuckDuckGo just chose Apple Maps as its default map search!

Google Maps is an excellent mapping app, and some people don't care about their privacy, but there are many reasons. and they are increasing, that Apple Maps is the preferred choice of most Apple users. Look Around had to have set off shock waves at Google Maps HQ as it simply blows Street View out of the water, and their execs must be quaking at the thought of what comes next as Apple rolls out its new base map.

[doublepost=1565411911][/doublepost]
Following is easier than leading.

Indeed. That's why Apple Maps chose not to follow Google Maps in key areas such as Transit, where Google simply imported all the generic data and was roundly criticized for inaccurate data. Instead Apple chose to spend the time, money and effort to customize Transit for each transit region in all the countries by sending teams to those areas. It takes much longer and is much more expensive, but the end result has been a much better transit experience for its users. We are seeing that in many more areas as Apple rolls out its new base map that it has spent billions and many years developing. Google HQ was not a happy place when they saw how Look Around makes Street View look primitive.

Reactions: dreyp82

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
Apple still has maps. Why? What do they offer that Google does not? And how does the accuracy of the two compare for things like traffic, train, and ferry schedules, etc.

Plus Google owns Waze, so is getting real time traffic updates from devices using Waze.
They offer better privacy for starts. iOS integration is great and Apple maps for me has been accurate where as Google has shown several longer routes to get to the same destination. One example I see with Google Maps is that it wants me to drive around the block to get to my address when Apple just has me drive straight up to the address.

Reactions: dreyp82

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
This is a welcome improvement. I want to like apple maps, i really do, but google is so far ahead right now its hard to not use it
Can’t stand google maps. They have not been all that accurate for me.
[doublepost=1565488406][/doublepost]
Apple still has maps. Why? What do they offer that Google does not? And how does the accuracy of the two compare for things like traffic, train, and ferry schedules, etc.

Plus Google owns Waze, so is getting real time traffic updates from devices using Waze.
You do realize there are more people that actually use their Apple devices for such service and that means Apple’s location services gets the data too.

Wally224

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2019
Maps in my region are actually worse than before. I live in Georgetown Tx. And some main roads out of my community suddenly are gone with the new maps data.

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
BTW...there is a fairly extensive New Apple Maps thread in the forums with all the latest updates in the first post and great discussion on changes as well right HERE.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 601
Jul 12, 2008
Columbus, OH
I know this is a bit off topic, but when I was in the Air Force, the SPs told me that they don't hide when policing for speeders, they stay visible, which keeps people from speeding. Which is what they should be doing. Trying to hide, and "catch" speeders kind of defeats the purpose. Being visible stops the speeders first. I feel like Waze, and apps like that do a better job of preventing speeders than the police do.
They absolutely do hide. They want the money. Safety is the least of their worries. They go after speeders for money.

kingspointer

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
a bridge near my house has been out for over a year and apple constantly tries to route me across it. even WAZE knows it's out. How do you report this? The bridge isn't close to being completed.

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
a bridge near my house has been out for over a year and apple constantly tries to route me across it. even WAZE knows it's out. How do you report this? The bridge isn't close to being completed.
Go to the Map app...place a pin on the bridge by holding your finger down on it...swipe up on the bottom to open up the detail for the pin location...click on "report an issue"

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
LOL. google maps still has two movie theaters sitting in the middle of the ocean here on Maui. Hey I understand its probably not their data, but I reported it to Apple and Google. apple fixed it.....enough said.

I suppose neither is perfect and its more about personal choice than anything else.
Still waiting for that proof of Google Maps listing theaters in the Ocean. It doesn't show that on the website, so you're just lying then?

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not following. According to the article it is Duck Duck Go that is not sending the information to Apple. Nothing to do with Apple.

And Duck Duck Go acknowledge that their privacy policy may cause issues with maps providing you useful and accurate information.

"Unfortunately, this process is not always accurate enough, especially on mobile phone networks that route traffic through a central hub, making you appear to us to be hundreds of miles away from where you actually are! To get around this issue and improve the location accuracy of search results, you may see a prompt asking you if you’d like to opt-in to share your current location with DuckDuckGo."
Point being his apple treats privacy for maps is substantially different than google

repoman016

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
They absolutely do hide. They want the money. Safety is the least of their worries. They go after speeders for money.
While I do believe safety not the least of their worries. Why do they used unmarked cars in some states if they wanted to be so visible?

kingspointer

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
Go to the Map app...place a pin on the bridge by holding your finger down on it...swipe up on the bottom to open up the detail for the pin location...click on "report an issue"
that option is not available in the iOS 13 Beta software.....

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
that option is not available in the iOS 13 Beta software.....
You have to zoom in really close so the pin is right on the road or after placing the pin, click on "edit location" and move the map so the pin is directly on the road. You will then have the option at the bottom to report an issue.

I am on the latest iOS13 beta and just did it.