Revamped Apple Maps Now Available in Texas, Louisiana, and Southern Mississippi

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
I love Waze for this. I hope Apple adds it eventually. Not a fan of the hidden piggies. ;)
I doubt Apple would add this as it's sort of telling people how to break the law by giving you notice where the speed traps are. Waze has received plenty of criticism from police departments not just for the speed traps, but also for DUI checkpoints or giving criminals the ability to track police locations to assist them with whatever crimes they want to do. I think Apple would want to avoid the controversy.

How about buses? Very few people in US do not have a car. I think we have more cars than people actually.
Don't know about buses/transit as I happen to live near very good transit and have never had the need to look something up before I go somewhere.

What I do know about Google Maps and Apple Maps is this:
  • Google Maps had all sorts of issues when they launched. People used to post regular Top 10 Google Maps errors as a joke.
  • Apple Maps also had many issues when they launched.
  • Google Maps has improved substantially since it launched.
  • Apple Maps has improved substantially since it launched.
  • Google Maps is still ahead of Apple Maps, but that lead varies depending on where you live.
  • Google Maps had an 8 year head start on Apple Maps, but they are nowhere near being 8 years ahead now.
  • Apple Maps has been improving at a rate faster than Google Maps did.
  • In a few years Apple Maps will be as good as Google (or better in some areas like Look Around).
  • Apple Maps will have achieved maturity (a fully fleshed out map system with all the features of Google Maps and accurate data for all markets) in less time than it took Google to achieve the same.
I'd consider that quite an accomplishment.

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
LOL, you don't really think that traffic data comes solely from phones? And as far as traffic data accuracy, tests show that Apple Maps is more accurate than Google Maps.
I think I’ve read somewhere that Apple doesn’t use iPhone locations to determine traffic. Could be wrong though.

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
LOL, you don't really think that traffic data comes solely from phones? And as far as traffic data accuracy, tests show that Apple Maps is more accurate than Google Maps.
Solely or not, having data from more phones is definitely an advantage, is not it? If you claim that Apple has more accurate traffic data, you'd better provide a link to support this claim.

Reactions: jaxemer83

DaveRivera

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
New England
Please list the specific features that make Apple maps superior for you.
I much prefer Apple Maps interface. Its smother to use, easier to read, the directions are clearer. I even prefer the road rendering better. Its always much easier for me to see where I am when I glance over at it compared to Google. I like the upcoming lanes view much better in Apple Maps, so much easier to read, as well as things like the speed limit.

As far as accuracy, I've had an issue or two with both maps, they feel about the same. Neither one is perfect, but at this point, not sure I could say one is more accurate than the other in my experience.

I do wish that Apple Maps had the ability to add multiple points along a route, and to be able to manually adjust each leg. That would be very handy, but its not crucial for me.

Never had an issue with Apple Maps traffic tracking. Always pretty much been spot on where I've used it.

Reactions: szw-mapple fan

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016
Apple still has maps. Why? What do they offer that Google does not? And how does the accuracy of the two compare for things like traffic, train, and ferry schedules, etc.

Plus Google owns Waze, so is getting real time traffic updates from devices using Waze.

To save time. Here a basic primer on Apple Maps, then I need to get somewhere using Apple Maps.

-Apple Maps had a disastrous start. Google forced their hand by crippling features, such as turn by turn directions, but Apple Maps wasn't ready and Scott Forstall misunderstood what resources it would take to make a competitive mapping service. He thought Apple could simply cobble together a mess of third party services and the results speak for themselves.

-Apple realized how critical mapping was going to be to their future, and Forstall's disaster demonstrated they needed to build their own "base map" of the world, which would take billions of dollars, thousands of employees and several years. Apple has now completed that base map, which will produce incredible features.

-As Apple has built out its base map, it has been slowly improving with each evolution. It doesn't need to wait for 3rd parties or for a new iOS release; it's ongoing! This is why usage of Apple Maps started from nothing to the point where it it is used vastly more often than Google Maps on the iPhone, to the tune of billions of times a week. Bash Apple Maps all you want, this fact is the strongest evidence of the excellence of Apple Maps. Save your time posting about it being the default app. Google Maps has 100% brand awareness, is free, and takes about 30 seconds to download on the iPhone. People wouldn't continue to use Apple Maps, or any mapping service, if it wasn't accurate.

-In retrospect, Google throttling GM's capabilities on the iPhone was an enormously foolish move, and the best thing that could have happened to Apple as it set them upon the path they needed to be on. Google Maps is a very good mapping service, but it is now being surpassed by Apple in key areas:

• Look Around makes Street View look primitive in comparison
  • Apple Transit is customized for each area, giving it a much better interface and improved accuracy over GM.
  • Apple Maps is surpassing GM in terms of accuracy of time estimates, a primary reason to use a mapping service
  • *Google Maps is an vacuum cleaner of your privacy. Everywhere you go, stop, visit, etc., is retained by Google and linked to your "universal identifier" number in a virtual dossier where every public and private aspect of you and your family's life that Google can acquire is amassed.
  • It's subjective, but there seems to be a consensus that Apple Maps has a better GUI.
  • Google Maps still has a better search capability. Apple Maps needs to improve in this area and claims to be doing so.

In sum, 99% of folks will have a good experience with whatever mapping service they use in terms of getting you to where you want to go, so it's time to move on from that. If you care about privacy, there's no comparison. Google search will sometimes yield better results for a place. They share in common most features like toll avoidance, etc., but Apple's newest releases appear to be surpassing Google's, e.g, Look Around and Transit.

Reactions: Buran and Garsun

tbsteph1

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
Apple can't possibly have the same accuracy of traffic data as Google because iPhone market share is very low (10+ %?). It will be better in US.
Not sure which "Wild West" area of the world you live but, the iPhone has a much higher market penetration than 10% in the US (Where I live). I'm going to guess that Apple Maps will have as good a chance for traffic info as Waze - who I suspect has a much smaller user base.

katbel

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
Google has sent a van down my street 2 times, Apple won't get here for decades to come. You got to start somewhere I guess.
I already saw Apple cars in Vancouver , BC, since this spring
The best was the day I saw one Apple car and a few seconds later a Google car: are they following each other? :cool:
I hope they will add the possibility to drag and change your directions using different route

Reactions: dreyp82

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
New Jersey, USA
My biggest concern is how they plan on keeping the maps up to date.

It sounds like they have this big pan to survey the entire world, but to actually have good maps they‘d have to continuously survey the same places over and over again.
Did they ever say this was a one-time deal? As far as we can tell they'll do like Google, and basically just do this forever.

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
LOL. google maps still has two movie theaters sitting in the middle of the ocean here on Maui. Hey I understand its probably not their data, but I reported it to Apple and Google. apple fixed it.....enough said.

I suppose neither is perfect and its more about personal choice than anything else.
Google maps is ahead of Apple Maps by light years in my area and every place I've gone for vacation or business (Canada, USA, SE Asia, Africa). Apple maps tried to take me to the wrong business meeting place twice in the last year so I stopped using it. It's a running joke around our office, "He's late... probably used Apple Maps."

The Google Maps reporting system has worked great for me. Yesterday a burger place was closed down by my house so I clicked, suggested the edit, and it was literally published as closed within a minute on the site. That's amazing.

As for these movie theaters, that are in the ocean as you claim, I searched all movie theaters on Google Maps in Maui. Not a single one is shown in the ocean. Provide us a link to prove what you claim.

Reactions: nvmls

NervousFish2

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Apple can't possibly have the same accuracy of traffic data as Google because iPhone market share is very low (10+ %?). It will be better in US.
Interesting point. I'm never clear on this, but I suspect its not just phone data they are using. Or, it is, but the companies maybe sell this data to each other?... or, at least, there must be something like this going on, because Apple Maps is pretty good at detecting traffic flow. Also, importantly, iPhone market share in the US is more like 47%, not 10%.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266572/market-share-held-by-smartphone-platforms-in-the-united-states/

gaximus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
I love Waze for this. I hope Apple adds it eventually. Not a fan of the hidden piggies. ;)
I know this is a bit off topic, but when I was in the Air Force, the SPs told me that they don't hide when policing for speeders, they stay visible, which keeps people from speeding. Which is what they should be doing. Trying to hide, and "catch" speeders kind of defeats the purpose. Being visible stops the speeders first. I feel like Waze, and apps like that do a better job of preventing speeders than the police do.

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
Go figure southern Mississippi would land before Nashville, TN :confused: Looking forward to this update as I would definitely take advantage of the new features in Maps.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I really want to like and use Apple Maps, but every time I try it just isn't robust enough, in functionality or detail, when compared to Google Maps.

For me, the main killer feature Google has Apple doesn't is the ability to add multiple locations to directions, not just beginning and end, and the ability to manually tweak the route(s).
Wow never knew you cant add multiple locations. This is a huge negative imo

uberzephyr

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003
Solely or not, having data from more phones is definitely an advantage, is not it? If you claim that Apple has more accurate traffic data, you'd better provide a link to support this claim.
I don't even know if they use the data from phones, or ping them in the background, or what. But if you think there is a significant advantage to having 55% of the phones (Android) compared to 45% of the phones (iPhone) - those are iPhone statistics in the US as of 2018 - you would be mistaken.

jaxemer83

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
Utah
I am not sure, but since the terrible start for Apple Maps, it's now the consensus and acknowledged that they have now surpassed Google Maps in accuracy, interface, Look Around versus Street View, and of course privacy. Google Maps search is still considered to be superior.

I travel frequently and put them to head to head tests and those results duplicate the above results as well.
Whose consensus?
[doublepost=1565382504][/doublepost]
Where can I find these "tests"?
[doublepost=1565382674][/doublepost]
To save time. Here a basic primer on Apple Maps, then I need to get somewhere using Apple Maps.

-Apple Maps had a disastrous start. Google forced their hand by crippling features, such as turn by turn directions, but Apple Maps wasn't ready and Scott Forstall misunderstood what resources it would take to make a competitive mapping service. He thought Apple could simply cobble together a mess of third party services and the results speak for themselves.

-Apple realized how critical mapping was going to be to their future, and Forstall's disaster demonstrated they needed to build their own "base map" of the world, which would take billions of dollars, thousands of employees and several years. Apple has now completed that base map, which will produce incredible features.

-As Apple has built out its base map, it has been slowly improving with each evolution. It doesn't need to wait for 3rd parties or for a new iOS release; it's ongoing! This is why usage of Apple Maps started from nothing to the point where it it is used vastly more often than Google Maps on the iPhone, to the tune of billions of times a week. Bash Apple Maps all you want, this fact is the strongest evidence of the excellence of Apple Maps. Save your time posting about it being the default app. Google Maps has 100% brand awareness, is free, and takes about 30 seconds to download on the iPhone. People wouldn't continue to use Apple Maps, or any mapping service, if it wasn't accurate.

-In retrospect, Google throttling GM's capabilities on the iPhone was an enormously foolish move, and the best thing that could have happened to Apple as it set them upon the path they needed to be on. Google Maps is a very good mapping service, but it is now being surpassed by Apple in key areas:

• Look Around makes Street View look primitive in comparison
  • Apple Transit is customized for each area, giving it a much better interface and improved accuracy over GM.
  • Apple Maps is surpassing GM in terms of accuracy of time estimates, a primary reason to use a mapping service
  • *Google Maps is an vacuum cleaner of your privacy. Everywhere you go, stop, visit, etc., is retained by Google and linked to your "universal identifier" number in a virtual dossier where every public and private aspect of you and your family's life that Google can acquire is amassed.
  • It's subjective, but there seems to be a consensus that Apple Maps has a better GUI.
  • Google Maps still has a better search capability. Apple Maps needs to improve in this area and claims to be doing so.

In sum, 99% of folks will have a good experience with whatever mapping service they use in terms of getting you to where you want to go, so it's time to move on from that. If you care about privacy, there's no comparison. Google search will sometimes yield better results for a place. They share in common most features like toll avoidance, etc., but Apple's newest releases appear to be surpassing Google's, e.g, Look Around and Transit.
Ummm ... no. The reason it is used more than Google Maps on the iPhone is that Apple sets it as the default map option and doesn't give consumers the ability to change the default.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I doubt Apple would add this as it's sort of telling people how to break the law by giving you notice where the speed traps are. Waze has received plenty of criticism from police departments not just for the speed traps, but also for DUI checkpoints or giving criminals the ability to track police locations to assist them with whatever crimes they want to do. I think Apple would want to avoid the controversy.

Don't know about buses/transit as I happen to live near very good transit and have never had the need to look something up before I go somewhere.

What I do know about Google Maps and Apple Maps is this:
  • Google Maps had all sorts of issues when they launched. People used to post regular Top 10 Google Maps errors as a joke.
  • Apple Maps also had many issues when they launched.
  • Google Maps has improved substantially since it launched.
  • Apple Maps has improved substantially since it launched.
  • Google Maps is still ahead of Apple Maps, but that lead varies depending on where you live.
  • Google Maps had an 8 year head start on Apple Maps, but they are nowhere near being 8 years ahead now.
  • Apple Maps has been improving at a rate faster than Google Maps did.
  • In a few years Apple Maps will be as good as Google (or better in some areas like Look Around).
  • Apple Maps will have achieved maturity (a fully fleshed out map system with all the features of Google Maps and accurate data for all markets) in less time than it took Google to achieve the same.
I'd consider that quite an accomplishment.

In Toronto, I’d argue we’ve just about reached that point, or will soon with iOS 13.

I kept Google Maps and Apple Maps side by side in the first few years. I used Apple Maps as my default but for mission critical trips, such as going to a client appointment where I couldn’t be late, I fell back to Google Maps. When Google Maps kept giving me very roundabout ways to get from A to B, and I looked up the same directions on Apple Maps and was getting better routes, I started to rely on Apple Maps. Eventually, I deleted Google Maps.

I far prefer Apple’s UI both during driving directions and in searching businesses. Apple Maps 3D and flyover is miles ahead of what Google offers. I would only give Google the advantage on the availability of Street View though I still preferred flyover for most use cases. Look Around not only closes that gap, it beats Street View. I have it on iOS 13 beta and it’s so much nicer and fluid. Way easier to navigate.

In Toronto, iPhones seem to be in the majority. That will help build accurate maps and live traffic reports. The more iPhones there are in a market, the bigger the pool is to pull traffic data and road alignments.

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I don't even know if they use the data from phones, or ping them in the background, or what. But if you think there is a significant advantage to having 55% of the phones (Android) compared to 45% of the phones (iPhone) - those are iPhone statistics in the US as of 2018 - you would be mistaken.
I used worldwide market share. Situation is obviously better for Apple in US (and a few other states).

Google (and Apple I presume) does gets information about the data from the phones. Herte is relevant answer from Quora:

Vaibhav Taneja, Operations And Logistics Manager at Uber (2016-present)
Updated Jan 10, 2018
Originally Answered: How does Google Maps detect traffic levels?

Google Maps bases its traffic views and faster-route recommendations on two different kinds of information:
1. Historic Data
2. Real Time Data

Historical data is the average time it takes to travel a particular section of road at specific times on specific days

Real-Time data is sent by smartphones (GPS) that report how fast cars are moving right then.

When Smart phone users turn on their Google Maps app with GPS location enabled, the phone sends back bits of data, anonymously, to Google that let the company know how fast their cars are moving.

Google Maps continuously combines the data coming in from all the cars on the road and sends it back by way of those colored lines on the traffic layers.

I am not sure if the answer is correct about data being collected only from the phones that run the maps. More likely data is collected from all the phones that have GPS enabled but i have no first hand knowledge.

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
In Toronto, I’d argue we’ve just about reached that point, or will soon with iOS 13.

I kept Google Maps and Apple Maps side by side in the first few years. I used Apple Maps as my default but for mission critical trips, such as going to a client appointment where I couldn’t be late, I fell back to Google Maps. When Google Maps kept giving me very roundabout ways to get from A to B, and I looked up the same directions on Apple Maps and was getting better routes, I started to rely on Apple Maps. Eventually, I deleted Google Maps.

I far prefer Apple’s UI both during driving directions and in searching businesses. Apple Maps 3D and flyover is miles ahead of what Google offers. I would only give Google the advantage on the availability of Street View though I still preferred flyover for most use cases. Look Around not only closes that gap, it beats Street View. I have it on iOS 13 beta and it’s so much nicer and fluid. Way easier to navigate.

In Toronto, iPhones seem to be in the majority. That will help build accurate maps and live traffic reports. The more iPhones there are in a market, the bigger the pool is to pull traffic data and road alignments.
Closed ecosystem puts Apple at disadvantage here. Google collects data from Android phones and iPhones (at least those that run Google Maps) according to this article:

Here's how it works: All iPhones that have Google Maps open and Android phones that have location services turned on send anonymous bits of data back to Google. This allows the company to analyze the total number of cars, and how fast they're going, on a road at any given time.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Closed ecosystem puts Apple at disadvantage here. Google collects data from Android phones and iPhones (at least those that run Google Maps) according to this article:

Here's how it works: All iPhones that have Google Maps open and Android phones that have location services turned on send anonymous bits of data back to Google. This allows the company to analyze the total number of cars, and how fast they're going, on a road at any given time.
There’s a point of diminishing returns. There are enough iPhones out there providing data that traffic maps become accurate, after which point, further iPhones just confirm the data, not necessarily improving it.

As keeps getting pointed out in these Apple Maps threads, your experience with Maps depends heavily where you are. iPhones really dominate in North America. In most of Europe and Asia, it’s a different story altogether.

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
I used worldwide market share. Situation is obviously better for Apple in US (and a few other states).
There's a flaw in your numbers.

Android doesn't have 90% of the market. According to Google as of June 2019 there were 2.5 billion active Android devices in use. According to Apple as of Jan 2019 there were 1.4 billion active iOS devices.

Apple, however, did say that they passed 900 million active iPhones back in Jan 2019. Google didn't break down their numbers for phones, tablets, TVs or other. Even being generous and assuming all 2.5 billion of those Android devices were in fact phones, that still only gets you to 73.5% Android and 26.5% iOS. Comparing only phones to phones and iOS is significantly higher than 26.5%.

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
There's a flaw in your numbers.

Android doesn't have 90% of the market. According to Google as of June 2019 there were 2.5 billion active Android devices in use. According to Apple as of Jan 2019 there were 1.4 billion active iOS devices.

Apple, however, did say that they passed 900 million active iPhones back in Jan 2019. Google didn't break down their numbers for phones, tablets, TVs or other. Even being generous and assuming all 2.5 billion of those Android devices were in fact phones, that still only gets you to 73.5% Android and 26.5% iOS. Comparing only phones to phones and iOS is significantly higher than 26.5%.
Term "market share" usually refers to sales and this is how I used it. iPhone market share is 10+%. There is no need to guesstimate this. Information is easily available. The number of current users may differ (in part because iPhone market share was higher not so long ago and those phones are still in use) but in a long run the percentage should be close.