Reverted to Tiger from Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chelsel, Dec 1, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

Seems like Apple got its Vista... it's called Leopard. After a month of frustrating keyboard freezes and incompatible applications we decided to take one of our MacBook Pros back to Tiger. Absolutely no problems anymore. Did Apple really beta test this? Did they listen to their testers?

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

So you are upgrading to a more familiar experience. I have a feeling you are not alone

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The keyboard freezing has been a pain...thankfully I do most of my heavy typing with an external. If it wasn't for that, I don't know what I'd do. :eek:

Yes, Leopard does have its glitches, but they're not too bad for me. Some slight annoyances to be sure (app crashing is the worst, yet least frequent). However, there are certain gains that I feel I couldn't live without now. Spaces has really come in handy, and Quicklook is very time-efficient.

Be sure to "upgrade" back to Leopard once .2 is out. I'm sure a lot of the problems will be solved by then. :)

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Better dig up a fire proof suit - that won't be well received here. :rolleyes:

But yah, once I get my external drive fixed up - I'm going to throw Tiger back on. Leopard does not have enough for me to justify discarding Tiger.

I feel too much was taken away for "benefits" of Leopard - but the "benefits" are not of use for me. What was stripped from Tiger on the other hand, was useful.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

People who are having trouble with Leopard are isolated situations. It's because they didn't install the software correctly or are having other software/hardware issues that is conflicting with it. There have also been documented issues with the iMac and Leopard, but I think Apple has resolved that.

Since Leopard has been sold to hundred of thousands (probably millions) of users, did you ever think that maybe it's NOT Leopard? Seriously, I installed Leopard three weeks ago and have had NO major issues. Certainly no deal breakers that would want me to go back to Tiger. Doesn't that make you wonder if maybe you are doing something wrong? No, it's easier to complain and blame the OS even though your problems are probably less than 1/1000 of the installed user base.

My experience is proof that Leopard works. Period.

But hey, I'm not saying you aren't having trouble. However, just because Leopard is giving YOU problems, doesn't mean it's a bad release. Comparing it to Vista is not fair. If you would take the time to do your install correctly and try to isolate where you are having issues, it would go a long way towards having a successful experience. I also don't want to come across as an Apple Fanboy who is defending Apple. It's just that I'm tired of reading about the whining people who say Leopard sucks... yada-yada, when in my experience it's quite awesome. Makes me want to say to those of you who are having a bad experience to "RTFM!"

Okay, I'm out.

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

this keyboard thing must be a known problem. My brother in law just bought a mbp with leopard and he just called telling me his keyboard froze. There certainly are issues with Leopard. I don't know how extensive. I have had very few and nothing worth downgrading for. All in all, the leopard being Apple's vista is pretty inflammatory though.

7. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

remainder of incorrect assumptions removed.

Leopard was originally installed on the NEW MacBook Pro using "Erase & Install". There was no 'incorrect installation' unless the installer itself is broken which would be an Apple fault.

The fact of the matter is that there are enough reports of severe problems with the keyboard on the MacBook Pro and Leopard that it warrants a possible recall or at least statement from Apple as to when fixes will be available.

Having your keyboard freeze is completely unforgivable. And yes, it may be inflammatory to compare Vista to Leopard, but the comparison sticks, they're both new and they're both buggy.

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Leopard is a paid beta at this time. It works for the most part, but glitches are plenty. On my PB G4 with a clean install of Leopard, finder crashes once every couple of days, spotlight does not search within new messages unless forcefully reindexed, and crashes about as often as the finder.

Overall, Leopard has brought more positive than negative, but it is a beta. Granted, I have not had a system-wide freeze yet, but my Leopard system has been much less stable than an XP box that I have at work, or than my former 10.3.9 on the same Powerbook.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

What's this keyboard freezing issue you're on about? First I've heard of it:confused:

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Same here... :confused:

You lot keeping your keyboard in the fridge or something?

I am very happy with Leopard. I haven't any reason at all to downgrade to Tiger.
    Tiger was great. Leopard just is better... and that only with the x.1 update.

Using it intensely on:
    - MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.0 GHz
    - MacBook Core 2 Duo, and MacBook SR
    - Mac mini Core Duo 1.66 GHz
    - Power Mac G5 Quad
    - Xserve Dual G4 1.0 GHz (the Server version)

11. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I've never had a problem of anything freezing. I've noticed a lot of people that have problems with most operating systems install a bunch of stupid programs which start screwing everything up.

12. jwt macrumors 6502

Point 1: Gimme a break! How, in 2007 from an Apple installer on an Apple machine, does one install software incorrectly?
    Point 2: Apple controls software and damn near all the hardware. If there's a conflict, it's probably Apple's fault.

Your experience is one data point--the same as the OP's. That your install went well on your hardware is not proof that Leopard is perfect and that the OP is inept at running an Apple installer. Get your head out of Apple's a$$, fanboi.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Many people (myself included) have noticed that the built-in keyboard on a macbook/macbook pro will randomly "freeze" in the sense that the keys will not respond. The entire keyboard is rendered useless for a period of a few minutes (sometimes as long as 5 or more minutes-though this hasn't happened yet on mine). It only occurs with the built-in keyboard, as externals do not have this problem. It only came about with Leopard, so it's very probable that it is a Leopard bug.

14. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

First I have heard about it too. Must be a MBP issue. I have a MacBook, iBook G4, Mac Pro Duo Core G5, and three 24" iMacs and they have ALL been running great with Leopard.

Is comparing Leopard to Vista an attempt at somehow releasing your frustrations by trying to tick us all off?? LMAO

Hopefully you can figure out why your keyboard s freezing. I would assume that you have taken it for service?

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It isn't. Users of both macbooks and macbook pros have reported the same problem.

If you use an external, you won't notice the problem; if you don't, then consider yourself lucky.:eek:

16. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I remember the 10.4.0 upgrade from 10.3.9. Wow was that terrible. Everything crashed left and right. I was thinking 10.4.11 -> 10.5.0 would be the same. Not at all. Leopard has been very good so far.

If Tiger works for you, then great. 10.4.11 is rock solid.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

guess you havent heard of the blue screen if you use an unsanity product....which is software and causes a conflict

and thanks for being mature, always welcome :rolleyes:

18. xappeal macrumors regular

I have had about 10 system freezes (big on button icon telling me to restart) since installing leopard. I'd never had one with Tiger.

I've been sending the reports to Apple each time so I hope they find a solution.

I'm still very happy with my 10.5 experience, time machine is priceless.... especially when it keeps crashing.

19. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Forgive me for assuming you know anything about math but your problems are statistically insignificant. When you say that there are "enough reports" of a certain keyboard problem, well... first off, that's a strawman argument. Secondly, what does "enough reports" mean? A dozen? 100? 1000? Considering that Leopard is now successfully installed on thousands (if not millions) of machines, those numbers are insignificant. Could be a hardware problem or user error not knowing what they are doing. The statistics support those types of issues more than the OS being defective.

If Leopard is so bad, then why are the majority of users having few if any issues?

By the way, I have a new Mac and a new Keyboard. My keys work perfectly.

You should spend more time trying to figure out what YOU are doing wrong with your installation, instead of wasting that time here. Oh wait! I forgot... you think it's all because of Apple and Leopard. You couldn't possibly be the problem even though you are in the minority.

Seriously, if I was in your situation and could consistently reproduce a problem even with a clean installation, I'd be at the Genius Bar or on the phone to Apple right away. I certainly wouldn't be on this forum whining that Tiger is better than Leopard. How does that help anyone?

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Umm...no, it's not a strawman argument. He hasn't over-simplified your points as far as I can tell.

Most users will never have any problems, and that's how it ought to be. However, there are plenty of users who do have legitimate problems. Yellow screens and exploding batteries come to mind.;)

However, your point is correct; a certain percentage of problems does not legitimize a statement like, "Tiger is better than Leopard." All it does is prove that there are certain bugs, as are expected with any new OS roll-out.
    The majority of users will never have problems. That doesn't mean we can't label it as "bad." The majority of people didn't die as a result of the Pinto's infamous fuel tank design; that doesn't mean the design wasn't bad;)
    The issue is with notebooks and their built-in keyboards. If you use an external, you won't notice it.
    I think I'd prefer that without the unnecessary insults. I think I know how to upgrade my computer, and I think I know how to use it. I also don't think I have much control over whether or not my keyboard works, as I have almost no discretion over this.
    What if the OP had a problem that could be solved with a simple adjustment in System Prefs? By asking here first, he's saved his own time and the time of the "genius." Besides, these forums are here to help; if you have a problem with it, consult Arn about it.

21. g93 macrumors newbie

I had the keyboard freezing problem with my MBP 2.4 after upgrading it to Leopard. After resetting the PRAM, the problem has gone away completely.

That said, I have definitely noticed some other weird behavior since upgrading to Leopard. I haven't really tried to reproduce it, but some things just hang, and I occasionally have trouble restarting.

22. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The keyboard stopped working on my MacBook and when I took it in for service it was simply a loose keyboard connection. Maybe you just need to have it serviced.

23. Draddy macrumors regular

is every single person having this problem?

.. no, just reinstall just this time format your drive completely and do a fresh install.

24. Hmac macrumors 68020

Bingo!

I just installed Leopard on the MacBook Pro I just bought (inadvertently delivered without the advertised Leopard install). I also have Leopard on my Mac Pro. In both cases I just followed the default install path - no archive, no erase, just install...no problems at all--both machines running smoothly. I've had Leopard on my Mac Pro since the day it was released. No glitches, no freezes, no crashes...works great.