Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Just wondering, is the only reason you would use one of these is to access multiple monitor outs? Otherwise given the constraint of a single TB input into the computer wouldn’t daisy chaining work just as well (for example) with multiple drives?
Monitors and Thunderbolt devices or even plain USB devices, the TB4 ports support it all so it has the most flexibility. Also some TB devices don't properly daisy-chain so you have to terminate the chain with them, and if you have more than one of these kinds of devices then you use up all the Mac Thunderbolt ports.

t.linn

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2022
I am not sure it’s going to be a big seller. Feels like a solution looking for a problem rushed to market.

I feel like the bosses said I need you to get something out the door fast for sales and this is what he received and he went with it not knowing any better
The CalDigit Hub is selling well enough that it is not only hard to find, but has gone up in price from $199 to $229 to $249.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
The CalDigit Hub is selling well enough that it is not only hard to find, but has gone up in price from $199 to $229 to $249.
The price was just ok at $199. At $249 you might as well spring the extra couple bucks for the TS3+.

t.linn

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2022
Yikes. Don't have to be such a jerk about it.
And I don't know about it fading in the real world, only in the Apple world. It's like we've just added another connector (USB-C) not replaced USB A with C.
The goal of the USB-C connector is to replace USB-A. For me, that can't happen soon enough. (Windows user, by the way.) At the risk of stating the obvious, USB-C is not only smaller but connects on the first try. As the old joke goes, USB-A is the only binary connector that takes a minimum of three tries to get it inserted.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Why did they make this with only 60w power delivery. I cannot find a single USB or Thunderbolt hub, at any price, that offers the single-cable solution I want for my 2021 Macbook Pro (90w power delivery, 4k 60hz, multiple USB-A ports, connected by a single USC-C cable.) If anybody knows of one that works, please let me know!

This one has 90W PD and supposedly can handle 2x 5K @ 60Hz external monitors (which is really just the LG Ultrafine 5K and maybe 1 dell)

I want this, but will wait until I can get it for less than $200

t.linn

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2022
The price was just ok at $199. At $249 you might as well spring the extra couple bucks for the TS3+.
It really depends on what you need. What makes this hub so excellent is that all of its ports (A & C) are the latest USB standard and you can turn it into whatever you want. For example, I capture images on CFexpress cards and connect to a 10GbE network, so an SD card slot and an RJ45 1GbE port just wasted space. I use an external DAC, so the headphone jack is a waste of space. My primary 30-inch monitor is DVI-D, so DP and HDMI ports don't help me. Each USB-A port and USB-C port on this device can be specifically customized for my needs with 100% efficiency. For me, it is worth the cost. Of course, YMMV.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I purchased the Element Hub when I received my MBP MAX. It worked well for a couple of weeks and then out of the blue most USB-A ports died and I had to return it. Luckily, it was under Amazon return window. I end up buying the OWC TB4 11 port hub and so far, so good. Seems like a solid product.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: EugW and xgman

Kiriko2

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2015
You can use this in a chain with TS3+ to expand port availability.

I was going to ask this. I have a TS3+, and while great, both Thunderbolt ports are used: one to the Mac, one to the display. I'd like a few more actual Thunderbolt ports to work with.

Have you tried this yourself? Anyone else? Any issues?

applicious84

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2020
Yikes. Don't have to be such a jerk about it.
And I don't know about it fading in the real world, only in the Apple world. It's like we've just added another connector (USB-C) not replaced USB A with C.
Yeah, this thing is really lacking on ports. Calling stuff legacy is way out of line. I'm still waiting for the version that let's me connect my ps-2 keyboard and serial monitor. I dunno what the author's been been smoking.

Joking aside, I don't actually have a single TB3 or TB4 accessory, and my iPhone still uses a legacy lighting connector.

Reactions: Ateam043

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Why did they make this with only 60w power delivery. I cannot find a single USB or Thunderbolt hub, at any price, that offers the single-cable solution I want for my 2021 Macbook Pro (90w power delivery, 4k 60hz, multiple USB-A ports, connected by a single USC-C cable.) If anybody knows of one that works, please let me know!
This one might work:

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
Not what the article says. It supports dual monitor on M1 Pro / M1 Max. I use two monitors daily on my Max and it works great.
That's a bit weird. I am at this very moment using an original M1 Mac mini with dual 4K monitors, 1 direct via HDMI and 1 via a TS3+ hub, but in theory I could connect the second one directly via TB-> displayport cable, unless I'm missing something?

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I’ve had mine for quite awhile. I ordered it directly from CalDigit. I believe it was only $159. It took three months to arrive, though.

Reactions: hipnetic

Takeo Apple

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2020
If you think this is expensive think again. I have two computers - one private and one for work and all I need to unplug is one damn cable for: two displays (4K), microphone, speakers, USB peripherals, DSLR via Elgato Camlink - and one press on my Logitech system and it’s all connected to mouse and keyboard.
Of course you can do the old fashioned “plug millions of cables” but it takes time, it destroys cable over time, and the wiring looks like crap.
(I use the Ts3+)

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I am not sure it’s going to be a big seller. Feels like a solution looking for a problem rushed to market.

I feel like the bosses said I need you to get something out the door fast for sales and this is what he received and he went with it not knowing any better
I like having it as a single connection dock where I have a thunderbolt monitor, a time machine drive, and external data drive, and a document scanner all connected to my 2-port MBA. I also am able to connect USB-A peripherals when needed. There are many times when I am use 3 or more devices at once and that would not be possible with the default 2 ports. This also lets me connect multiple thunderbolt devices like a monitor and that external hard drive; something you could not do with the earlier Thunderbolt 3 docks.

This might be a little less needed if I had one of the new MBP with more and more varied ports but even then you have to connect and disconnect the ports each time you move the laptop.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Only problem with it is that it gets absolutely white hot during use. It was actually overheating my Mac mini because it was laying on top of it. I’ve had to isolate it away from other electronics.
I have not noticed significant heating. you might want to keep an eye on that and definitely not stack them like that.

Reactions: EugW

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
So just regular M1 Mac users are limited to 1 monitor. Still lame and something even cheap hubs support.
this is not a limitation of the hub. the M1 chip only supports one external monitor. There are specialty adaptors that take two monitors and combine them so that they appear as one to the M1, but that is not what this kind of dock is for.

If you were to use this with an M1 Pro or Max chip device (the MBP) you could connect multiple external thunderbolt monitors though it, up to the capacity of the thunderbolt cable.

Reactions: 2Stepfan

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
I have this one https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-dock

96w keeps my 16" mbp m1 max fully charged while running 2 displays.

Does the one I link above not fit your requirements?
I'll second that. Just got this OWC TB4 dock after digging through a dozen-odd options that all fell short in one way or another. I've got it running gigabit networking, two displays, my laptop (14" M1 Pro), a Stream Deck, external USB-2 hard drive, headphones, and the occasional USB-C peripheral like a hard drive or flash drive and it has performed flawlessly.

It's not cheap, but it finally got me to the "single cable solution" I've been pining for lo these many years.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
$250 for a dock with this much usb-c and throughput but only 60w PD. the kind of user who would go after this is the type that could have a 16" pro and thus needs more power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.