Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Why would you buy this? I picked up the new Satechi TB4 dock. It’s a beast so far and has a way better spread of ports than this one and CalDigit’s main squeeze TB3 dock. Satechi one is the same price at BestBuy. Go get it.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Why are these Thunderbolt hubs so expensive when they’re literally just a box of ports? They also have terrible customer satisfaction overall based on reviews. I don’t mean this brand specifically, but all of them. Expensive + unreliable is such a bad combo.

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
Why did they make this with only 60w power delivery. I cannot find a single USB or Thunderbolt hub, at any price, that offers the single-cable solution I want for my 2021 Macbook Pro (90w power delivery, 4k 60hz, multiple USB-A ports, connected by a single USC-C cable.) If anybody knows of one that works, please let me know!

CASMAS

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2022
I have one and it charges 2021 16 inch MBP so I really don't use 140W charger. Why 60W only? It has 8 ports and look at the size of the power supply. It's already massive.

joensson

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
How does compare to competitors like the OWC TB4?
I purchased both for testing at my workplace last summer. (And a Kensington 5000 and a Razer silver something - also TB4)

The OWC TB4 has gigabit Ethernet built in and can charge with 90 Watt. And the Kensington is pretty much identical.

The CalDigit hub is much smaller on the desk - but the power brick is about the same size for all three.

I really like that the MacBook connection is on the side of the hub on the CalDigit and not in the front as it is on the OWC TB4 (and a lot of the other TB4 docking stations including Kensington and the Sonnet echo and the Razer).

The TB4 cable delivered with all of them is quite short and the OWC is super sensitive to touching the cable near the dock.

When I take off my headphones after a meeting or to go and get coffee I have to be careful not to let them touch the cable since that will disconnect the TB4 connection abruptly.

When this happens the Mac loses connection to all external peripherals and will have to rediscover both my external monitors which is super annoying (and my LAN connection which is less of a problem).

OWC even sells a small plastic piece they call a Clingon (maybe with a K) that you glue to the dock which should reduce the sensitivity to touching the cable.
Other than that I am very happy with the OWC TB4. (the Kensington TB4 Razer and Sonnet TB4 docks have the same layout as the OWC TB4 and it are also sensitive to touching the cable near the dock).
I have an older Elgato dock at home and on that the Mac connection is on the back which works better for me.

Other than the disconnect if touching the cable I have not had any issues with the OWC TB4 and it is now my daily dock at my workplace.

I now have a M1 Max and have the MagSafe and Apple charger in my bag when I go to visit customers.

So even though I really liked the CalDigit I chose to keep the OWC TB4 so I only had one cable to my machine.
My colleague have an M1 pro and he is now using the caldigit hub as his daily hub. And so far I have not heard him complain about it.
If the caldigit could deliver 90w to my MacBook I would probably have kept it.

But all the TB4 docks I mentioned here are good and except for the CalDigit hub almost identical - so go for the one that is easiest to find in stock and at the best price.

Reactions: project_2501

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Not sure, why you would need this. 60W power is not enough (but the power brick looks like it is delivering 12.1 GW) - and that thing looks like **** and is obviously supposed to sit permanently on your desk. I have a small passive usb-c hub from sitecom (1-USB-C in 3 out) that comes in handy if ports are needed.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
It's a very nice TBT4 hub. Just got my M1 Max 14", charging at 60W speed, so far so good. No complaints. I ordered this hub almost a year ago I believe and used it with my old M1 13", very reliable. Now switch to Max Mac and keep using this hub.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
No dual display support for M1? Trash. Even cheap hubs under $50 support such.
Original M1 Macs support one display from Thunderbolt.
M1 Pro/Mac and Intel Macs can support two displays from Thunderbolt.
The hub can connect two displays.

So just regular M1 Mac users are limited to 1 monitor. Still lame and something even cheap hubs support.
No hub allows an original M1 Mac to use two monitors unless it is using DisplayLink or something similar (not a real GPU driven display).

Just wondering, is the only reason you would use one of these is to access multiple monitor outs? Otherwise given the constraint of a single TB input into the computer wouldn’t daisy chaining work just as well (for example) with multiple drives?
Yes, any Thunderbolt device in a chain can drive one or two displays (depends on the device) but the total number of displays in a Thunderbolt chain is still dependant on the number of displays supported by the host's Thunderbolt port.

This one has 90W PD and supposedly can handle 2x 5K @ 60Hz external monitors (which is really just the LG Ultrafine 5K and maybe 1 dell)
The LG UltraFine 5K is a dual tile display and therefore counts as two displays when working properly at 5K 60Hz - is a Thunderbolt device that uses two DisplayPort connections - one for the left half and one for the right half of the display.
So you cannot connect two of those.

Now for a single tile display: a 5K 60Hz display (assuming 16:9 aspect ratio) requires ≈22.2 Gbps for 8bpc and 27.8 Gbps for 10bpc or HDR. There's no way to connect two of those to a single Thunderbolt port (34.56 Gbps for DisplayPort except the Apple Pro Display XDR which uses up to 39 Gbps) unless you reduce the refresh rate or the bpp. DSC can reduce the bpp from 24 or 30 down to 12 (or maybe 8 with a macOS preference modification). Chroma sub sampling can reduce the bpp from 30 down to 20 or 15 or from 24 down to 16 or 12. The minimum bpp that could allow two 5K60 displays from Thunderbolt is 18.

This one might work:

That's just a USB-C hub. USB-C hubs are less expensive than Thunderbolt. But they are limited to 12.96 Gbps DisplayPort bandwidth, down from 34.56 Gbps for Thunderbolt. USB-C is limited to a single DisplayPort connection (unless it's using DisplayLink for additional connections but that uses USB instead of a real GPU connection). This USB-C hub appears to use an MST Hub for additional displays but Macs don't support MST for multiple displays, so this hub can only connect one display. I'm not sure if this USB-C hub supports DSC or relies on chroma sub sampling to allow two HDMI 4K30 displays. One or the other has to be used.

That's a bit weird. I am at this very moment using an original M1 Mac mini with dual 4K monitors, 1 direct via HDMI and 1 via a TS3+ hub, but in theory I could connect the second one directly via TB-> displayport cable, unless I'm missing something?
M1 Mac mini only allows one display from Thunderbolt, just like the other original M1 Macs. Think of the HDMI port as corresponding to the built-in display of the original M1 MacBooks.

Caldigit have confirmed they will soon announce an update to the TS3+ .. so TB4 with extra ports
Just another Thunderbolt 4 dock. The problem with Thunderbolt 4 hubs/docks (or Thunderbolt 3 docks that use Titan Ridge) is that everything internal is USB so the max portion of the Thunderbolt 40 Gbps bandwidth that can be used by a Thunderbolt 4 dock/hub is 10 Gbps - more of the 40 Gbps can be used only by downstream displays or Thunderbolt devices. Internally, these Titan Ridge or Goshen Ridge docks have a single PCIe USB controller with a single USB port which has a USB hub connected to it. Most Thunderbolt 4 hubs have one USB hub. The Element Hub has two USB hubs connected together (I like it because it adds more ports without increasing the size much). Thunder 4 docks will have three USB hubs with a bunch of USB adapters for audio, SD card, Ethernet.

The situation is worse for USB4 hosts like the M1 Macs - in that case USB tunnelling is used to bypass all the USB controllers in the chain of Thunderbolt 4 docks/hubs - so the max bandwidth for all USB devices connected to all Thunderbolt 4 docks/hubs in the chain is 10 Gbps. You can put a Thunderbolt 3 device between the host and the Thunderbolt 4 chain to disable USB tunnelling so then all the USB controllers in the Thunderbolt 4 chain can have their own PCIe connection - and the Goshen Ridge USB controller is superior to the USB controller of the M1 Macs (except maybe the ASM3142 controller in the 4 port M1 iMacs for the non-thunderbolt ports).

The TS3+ is old and uses Alpine Ridge instead of Titan Ridge or Goshen Ridge, so it can use all of the Thunderbolt data bandwidth (up to 22-25 Gbps) for its devices (the rest of the 40 Gbps can only be used up by displays). Internally, it has 5 PCIe devices: the Thunderbolt controller itself including the Alpine Ridge USB controller and 4 other devices connected to it: three USB controllers (two FL1100 and one ASM1142), and an Intel Ethernet controller.

Goshen Ridge has 1 lane of PCIe (for an additional 8 Gbps of possible Thunderbolt bandwidth), but no-one uses it because a PCIe device wouldn't be usable if the Thunderbolt 4 hub/dock was connected to a USB-C (non-Thunderbolt) host. But if CalDigit want's to do something new (and maybe they do - the TS3+ and Element Hub are different designs compared to other Thunderbolt 3 docks and Thunderbolt 4 hubs), then using some PCIe would be interesting. And in fact, they could pair a Thunderbolt 4 controller with a Thunderbolt 3 controller to get the benefit of having additional downstream Thunderbolt ports and to have superior PCIe controllers (especially for Ethernet - no-one likes USB Ethernet) which can use more than 10 Gbps of the Thunderbolt bandwidth.

If you were to use this with an M1 Pro or Max chip device (the MBP) you could connect multiple external thunderbolt monitors though it, up to the capacity of the thunderbolt cable.
and up to the capacity of the M1 Pro/Max - which is 2.

The M1 Mini supports two external monitors
But only one from Thunderbolt. The other must be connected to HDMI.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I bought one of these a few weeks ago and it’s a great little piece of kit. Need more than the 4 TB ports on my 2018 Mac mini. I first got the OWC one (far fewer ports) but be warned; the input TB cable connects poorly and works its way loose with a couple of small jiggles or bumps. Returned it and been very happy w CalDigit’s. Solidly built & reliable.

2Stepfan

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2019
Sheffield
I had to stop using my TS3+ because it stopped my iPhone from syncing or indeed being recognised properly by my MBP14. I am hoping this unit doesn’t suffer from the same issue. Also hoping the issue will resolve itself because it’s a really nice hub otherwise.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Why did they make this with only 60w power delivery. I cannot find a single USB or Thunderbolt hub, at any price, that offers the single-cable solution I want for my 2021 Macbook Pro (90w power delivery, 4k 60hz, multiple USB-A ports, connected by a single USC-C cable.) If anybody knows of one that works, please let me know!
I mean, Caldigit's own TS3+ does this at 87w and I've been using it for years - currently to my M1 MBP connected to a 5k/2k screen...

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I was going to ask this. I have a TS3+, and while great, both Thunderbolt ports are used: one to the Mac, one to the display. I'd like a few more actual Thunderbolt ports to work with.

Have you tried this yourself? Anyone else? Any issues?

Have not used it frequently enough to say there are zero issues, but the few times I did there were no issues.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Ok, dual 4ks or a 6k. But what refresh rate at 1440p or 1080p? If it can't do at least 120hz it's useless.
Dual 6Ks should be possible since 6K60 uses DSC@12bpp so each connection only requires HBR2 link rate just like 4K60 displays that don't use DSC (30 bpp). The Mac's GPU just needs to support DSC and have enough performance for two 6K displays (I think Mac's with Intel Ice Lake CPU do support DSC for one 6K60 display but not for two but it can connect two 4K displays?).

Actually, the Apple Pro Display XDR cannot do 6K60 from a Thunderbolt hub/dock unless it is using DSC because Apple doesn't attempt the tiled mode for GPUs that don't support DSC when there's a Thunderbolt hub/dock/optical cable between the XDR and the Mac.

There are bandwidth and refresh rate calculators.
https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/

Thunderbolt 4 supports DisplayPort 1.4. That means 4 lanes of HBR3 link rate. Using CVT-RB2 and DSC@12bpp we get these numbers: 1080p684, 1440p450, 4K228, 5K135, 6K99, 8K62
The numbers can be higher using DSC@8bpp. Anything less is a limitation of the OS or drivers or display - not a limitation of the Thunderbolt hub.

Stitch666

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
No dual display support for M1? Trash. Even cheap hubs under $50 support such.
Genuine question here as I don’t much about docks. Can you link me to something at under $50 dollars that can allow me to use dual displays with my M1 Macbook air please.

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
I was waiting for Caldigit to release a newer version of the TS3 for my new 16" MacBook Pro but I ended up getting the Sonnettech Echo 4 Thunderbolt 4 box. Works fantastic for just a bit more $ and has more port options than just USB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.