[Review] I can no longer recommend

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by scjr, Mar 6, 2015.

1. scjr, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

After many attempts, I've been unable to successfully reach this manufacturer. I've had other members PM me with the same issue. Since the manufacturer is AWOL, I can no longer recommend this product and thus have removed my review.

2. Shredder96 macrumors regular

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Whenever they get the new version of the black ones, I'll get one. I like the look of these better than the one I have now.

4. scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

There are several people, like yourself, who are waiting for the new version. I've given them feedback and told them they need the new version in stock. I personally would wait myself, because I'm not a fan of the outline.

The positive is, the white protector proves it can be done without that outline.

5. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised the Zoogue doesn't fit it. My CoolReall glass protector looks as though it fits the screen with the same amount of gap space between the edge of the protector and the edge of the glass screen as your protector.

However, my Zoogue fits just fine, in fact, it barely covers the glass at all, so there's still some gap space.

6. scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

It's quite possible the Benks is just a fraction longer/wider than the CoolReall. I could get it into the ZooGue, but the corners wanted to come up. I don't think any edge-to-edge will work with the CandyShell Grip. That's a super tight case.

ARSkemp was able to use his Ringke Slim and Magpul with the Benks. See his review here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1848694

If you notice, in his pics, those lips aren't as aggressive.

Some cases will work with the Benks. I think cases with tighter, more aggressive lips that point inwards may not.

7. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I just ordered this last week after reading the OPs last review. On the site they said it doesn't have the white line so I hope my black one is the the one you just reviewed. I have a Mophie case for my 6 plus and hope it fits just right. I think it will tho

8. scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

I would contact admin@benks.us and make sure they send the revised black version. Their stock for black is mixed.

I believe ARSkemp mentioned the outline is not noticeable when the screen is on.

9. prescott2006 macrumors newbie

Does anybody know is Incipio NGP compatible with it? I've emailed Benks, but they said never try it.

10. frifra, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Hi, the 0.20mm from Benks in white looks quite nice.

Is there any way to order it from within Europe? I am from Germany and was considering buying one, as it looks like the best I have seen so far after extensive research. I looked up a lot of tempered glass protectors on macrumors.com and the German apfeltalk.de (+ Amazon reviews).

If I order it from the banks website it will be 30,49 USD (incl. 6.50 USD shipping), thus customs in Germany will hold it back, as 19% of it arise to more than 5 EUR. (If it would be 29 USD incl. shipping, customs wouldn't touch it).

I had enought trouble recently with customs as they sometimes will not release your items for different reasons.

So, I would be glad if I could order it from somewhere within the EU. Unfortunatly Amazon.de does not list the item.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the nice review.
    If I get my hands on it, I might write a review in the German apfeltalk.de forum and mention my experience here.

11. puma1552, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

puma1552 macrumors 601

This actually looks really nice and of high quality. I'm tempted to try.

Tell me though about the adhesive, would it be problematic to remove later and/or ruin the oleophobic coating underneath? Any rainbow effect or orange peel?

Also, why do all tempered glass protectors have colored bezels, why aren't they just completely clear?

EDIT: Also curious if this would work with the non-force Powersupport Air Jacket as I definitely want to keep that case.

I currently am using a PowerSupport crystal film, but getting tired of how much space there is around the edges. PS said six months ago they were working on an edge to edge design, but vaporware so far so maybe considering this as an option.

12. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

There cannot be any orange peel effect on a tempered glass, otherwise it's not glass.

The bezels are colored as those parts usually do not adhere 100% perfectly, thus you would see bubbles and maybe even lint underneath.

13. scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

14. frifra, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Thanks, but I already tried that and there are 2 problems:

1. Even on amazon.com there is no white 0.2 mm white iPhone (NOT PLUS) 6 Screen Protector from Benks

2. Even if there would be, it would tell me the same as for the listed iPhone 6 Plus screen protector "This item does not ship to Hamburg, Germany. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally." (Sold by Benks Technology USA and Fulfilled by Amazon)

If you don't take away the "ref=..." part of your amazon links, then international readers (like me :) ) will be redirected to their country's amazon page which then does not show any item. - Thanks.

If there would be a 1,50 USD Coupon for the benks homepage my problem would be solved or a reseller within Europe.

15. scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

E-mail Benks and they'll direct you where to order: admin@benks.us

16. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Thanks I just did. Received an answer within 2 minutes :cool:. wow.

17. ygslee macrumors newbie

I received the black one and it still has the outline. From their email, it looks like they don't think it's an issue. It mentions they have a huge supple and can't guarantee which one you'll receive. That's too bad. Instead of trying to stand out from the crowd with a quality product, they instead point to other companies and say it's ok cause they do it too.

From Benks:
    The situation is quite simple.
    There is a misunderstanding with the socalled outline as its not an error in any way, or makes the product bad in any way.
    All competition also has the outline, and before we mentioned we have a new model without, it has never been mentioned anywhere.
    Now it has become like its the only right option to buy from Benks. And thats sad to see this for us.
    We have a huge stock and there is no way we can tell the products from each other unless we unpack all, and we are like any other manufacturer, we have to sell what is in stock.

So, its a problem, which never have been a problem before, and we can’t begin to replace products which are errorfree.

We hope you understand.

Attached Files:

18. scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

Regardless of the outline, it does look good! How do you like it thus far? I found the installation to be super simple. The adhesive is easy to work with as well.

In regards to the outline, I contacted Benks to clarify. The black stock will eventually be 100% outline free. Having said that, the outline doesn't affect anything other than the look when the screen is off.

From what I understand, all other edge-for-edge products have the outline. I don't think it's feasible for them to discard the inventory they already manufactured.

----------

For folks who use multiple cases and folks that are concerned that this protector won't work with their current case, Benks is going to send me a sample of their very thin Invisible 0.15 mm Glass Screen Protector.

This should work with all cases, since it's not edge-to-edge. When it arrives, I'll post a review.

19. ygslee macrumors newbie

Other than the fact that it covers more of the screen than the $5 tempered glass protector I bought off of eBay, I can't tell the difference. It still attracts oil and fingerprint.

The outline around the screen bothers me. It's like having giant lint under the screen. It really takes away from the quality of the protector.

20. kaikai830 macrumors 6502

Are you serious? I've bought a whole lot of different glass protectors and so far only the Benks, Nillkin, SRC and maybe some of the cheap Chinese brand have the white outline. Most of the better brands like Mime, Tech Armor, and Anker doesn't have it.

21. scjr, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

I thought the quality of the protector was great. It will collect some dust at the edges, as I mentioned in my review I found it to resist fingerprints pretty well. I do understand your disappointment with the outline.

----------

I didn't know that. Unlike you, I haven't tried multiple edge-to edge glass products. Are you talking about the colored protectors? I know that the white ones from Benks do not have the outline. The black ones, at the moment, do.

Benks gave me that information, so it might not be accurate.

Thanks for adding your information to the thread.

22. puma1552 macrumors 601

i do think its a bit of a drag that they know they have two versions of a product, one clearly better, but are just going to send you whatever they got. most manufacturers whove made iphone 6 screen protectors struggled with early versions, and have been willing to provide customers with updated versions for free as theyve become available.

i guess i will unfortunately cross this off my list since im not interested in paying and probably having an 80% chance of getting the old one with the outline.

23. scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

I agree and you make some good points. I sent Benks a link to your feedback.

24. puma1552 macrumors 601

thanks...can you tell us more about the adhesive? i find it interesting benks says its washable and reusable.

25. scjr thread starter macrumors 68000

scjr

Benks told me it could be lightly rinsed off and reused. It can't be scrubbed with anything. I haven't tried it though.