Review of WWDC Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Wired posts an "unofficial" review of Apple's WWDC version of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).
With Leopard, Apple has added a thick coat of polish to an already elegant operating system. The upgraded OS isn't all glitz and glam, though. Mac's core applications have been rendered more friendly by the addition of stronger visual cues, animated actions and detailed user interface refinements.
The article describes overall improvements to Mac OS X's Finder, including its new Cover Flow view. While seemingly superfluous, the reviewer found it "extremely useful for certain applications" -- such as flipping through images. The "killer feature" of Cover Flow is the ability to quickly preview certain types of documents, such as Word documents and PDFs. Apple has also made steady improvements to Mail, iCal and iChat. The reviewer found that Time Machine required over 30 minutes to set up and also required an external drive.
Since the build I tested is a preview meant for developers, I wasn't expecting rock-solid stability. However, the new features I discovered over a couple of days were enough to win me over. When it's released for real in October, Leopard is sure to be a hit among newcomers and the Mac faithful alike.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
that's good news. i'm really excited for leopard and look forward to its release.

i doubt we'll see any more features that isn't already in the developer preview since it was stated to be a "full-feature" preview. also, what's the big deal of being the first post?

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
my pathfinder can also see word files. I want to preview both excel and powerpoint files as well, especially the latter. I think steve did show support for excel preview in cover flow but not for ppt files (although keynote, yes. but keynote is not that powerful yet IMO and cross-compatible with windows)

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
The cover of Leopard DVD has a space image and the Time Machine stuff makes me believe that Leopard will probably have some cosmos and universe GUI with floating stars, galaxies, comets and the usual universe stuff.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Overall, nice to see such positive comments from a developer preview of Leopard. Come October, the OS will be much more stable and who knows, it may have some new features added to it. At least that's my hope :cool:

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
that's good news. i'm really excited for leopard and look forward to its release.

i doubt we'll see any more features that isn't already in the developer preview since it was stated to be a "full-feature" preview. also, what's the big deal of being the first post?
VERY glad to hear that Finder has indeed been "vastly" improved. I have a pretty fast Intel machine and still get the beach ball of death when trying to do certain things...

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
To all those naysayers that who opined that Leopard was not as big a deal as Tiger, I have to vehemently disagree. Leopard is greater than Tiger with a single feature--Time Machine.

Working for Dell Tech support has taught me that the plague of the average user is data loss. Their Windows machines go down seemingly without rhyme or reason and they didn't back anything up. I help them out after they stop sobbing, but I wish I could just tell them about Time Machine, and improve their lives by saying "Get a Mac".

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
That makes it sound like it takes thirty minutes of work to set it up, but it's probably the same as how Spotlight takes some time to index everything.
-Chasen
The first initial backup of your hard drive takes about 30 minutes depending on how much data you back up.Subsequent backups are incremental.Backing up only changed data.Thus taking a lot less time.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
Decent review. Nothing we havent heard about already.

The real test is how many of the new features we'll use consistently over time. Spaces sounds good. CoverFlow, although a little OTT for iTunes, I can definately see being useful scanning through a large amount of files.

Improved speed of spotlight and dashboard is also very welcome.

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
To all those naysayers that who opined that Leopard was not as big a deal as Tiger, I have to vehemently disagree. Leopard is greater than Tiger with a single feature--Time Machine.
Never, the reflective dock is the real killer feature ;)

Seriously, Mail 3 has sold it to me. I hate having to keep a seperate RSS reader open, and those notes will be really really useful.

pherplexed

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2005
maybe dumb but...

This may be retarded, but am I the only one that thinks the finder windows look TOO much like iTunes? If you have several finder windows open and iTunes (and iPhoto for that matter), you won't be able to tell a difference between them at first glance. Apps need to look like apps and finder window should look like windows.

:rolleyes:

smitty078

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
my pathfinder can also see word files. I want to preview both excel and powerpoint files as well, especially the latter. I think steve did show support for excel preview in cover flow but not for ppt files (although keynote, yes. but keynote is not that powerful yet IMO and cross-compatible with windows)
What can PowerPoint do that Keynote can't? The only compatibility issues I have found is multi-column text (which is something keynote can do but powerpoint can't), text shadows (something else keynote can do but PP can't), and table background transparency (another thing Keynote does that PP doesn't). I have yet to find anything that PP does that Keynote can't. And even in the above instances, Keynote always handles exporting to PP quite well. It also has always handled importing from PP completely fine, every time. And yes, this is sharing with PP on a windows computer, specifically PP 2003 (I understand 2007 is very different, but I haven't used it yet and that's a whole other issue as most people will not have upgraded yet).

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
If they didn't sign a NDA, then they didn't get it through ADC, so it can't be a 'legal' copy...
Wire haven't done anything illegal at all. They didn't sign an NDA, they weren't told not to install Leopard, and they are free to write about it. However, whoever GAVE Wire their copy of Leopard is definitely breaking their NDA.

FunkyELF

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Time Machine taking 30 minutes

Had they went with ZFS it wouldn't have taken any time to set up.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
That was a nice read :) Sounded to me like a lot has improved. Looking forward to useing that new Finder. The report on instability on a Core Duo MacBook had me troubled for a second, but I guess they still have four months to improve whatever they need to improve.

Yep, I'm getting this on day one :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.