Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I can't wait to download this OS.
I'll hope for the sake of hoping that you mean legally. I think having a download option would be cool...maybe for $99 instead of $129 retail box?
Undoubtedly, he's referring to P2P/BT downloads in a desperate attempt at getting attention through trolling. Anyone who has an seed-level ADC account has already received the DVDs.

Downloading the OS isn't a viable option, as it's likely to be a 3-4GB download (I can't remember what the last full download from ADC was -- my Premiere membership recently lapsed). That kind of data transfer on a large scale would probably kill some servers, not to mention the torture it would be on anything less than a 5MB/s broadband connection.

VERY glad to hear that Finder has indeed been "vastly" improved. I have a pretty fast Intel machine and still get the beach ball of death when trying to do certain things...
Your beachball frequency could be caused by a low physical RAM to Virtual Memory ratio, or, more likely, that your hard drives are spinning up due to the 'sleep drives when idle' option in the Energy Saver pref pane.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Wire haven't done anything illegal at all. They didn't sign an NDA, they weren't told not to install Leopard, and they are free to write about it. However, whoever GAVE Wire their copy of Leopard is definitely breaking their NDA.

Actually they clicked thru a EULA that basically states that they aren't granted the right to use Mac OS X 10.5. Also if someone knows something is under NDA they are not automatically in the clear just because they themselves didn't sign the NDA.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Downloading the OS isn't a viable option, as it's likely to be a 3-4GB download (I can't remember what the last full download from ADC was -- my Premiere membership recently lapsed).
Actually a little over 5 GiB in size.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Undoubtedly, he's referring to P2P/BT downloads in a desperate attempt at getting attention through trolling. Anyone who has an seed-level ADC account has already received the DVDs.

This is not true.The WWDC preview is not yet available to most seed level ADC members yet.It was only given out to the couple of thousand developers at WWDC.The other 200,000 PAYING select and/or Premier developers that didn't attend WWDC don't have it yet.

Guigue

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
Change to files in dialog box

I've been a mac user since I was a little kid, and I still prefer my mac to all the Windows PC I've used at work, but there's one thing I really don't like about OS X, and it's the fact that you can't rename/delete files in Open/Save dialog boxes... It's been in Windows for ages now and once you start using it, it gets really frustrating to have to use the finder everytime I want to change something to a file.

A good example is with my After Effects/Final Cut Pro workflow. FCP tends to lock files very easily, even if it is deleted in the browser. If I want to render and overwrite the old file with AE, I have to quit FCP or use the Finder to delete the old file. If I was able to delete the file directly from the save dialog box in After Effects, I would have to go through this process dozens of times a day

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
That's it? It's a nice feature, but hardly a killer feature....
I believe he was joking about the transparent menubar being the top secret feature...

Let's save our final judgements til' October, shall we? :p

coffeeisgood

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Ah.

I sit here on my Windows XP machine, jealous. I've been a fan of all things apple since I got an iPod a couple of years back, that really made me aware of OS X and whatnot (the halo effect ;) ).

Leopard looks great, The new desktop.. Time machine.. great apps that I would love to have. (the only thing I dislike is that damn transparent bar at the top).

Just wanted to say that this is great news that the reviewer likes it, If I wasnt so poor I'd go out and buy myself a fricken mac.

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
What can PowerPoint do that Keynote can't?
Set already-visited hyperlinks to be a different color. May sound minor, but I often create non-linear presentations that jump from one slide to another based on audience interaction (for example, a Jeopardy game). PowerPoint has a color scheme setting that allows visited hyperlinks to change color (dim) or even blend in with the background, making it clear which slides have already been seen.

Twice now I've sadly had to use PowerPoint for major presentations and give up all Keynote's otherwise superior features for this reason alone.

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I believe he was joking about the transparent menubar being the top secret feature...

Let's save our final judgements til' October, shall we? :p

What do you think is better, the transparent menu bar or the reflective dock?

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
My fear is the "external HD" that was stated for Time Machine....

Does this mean that partitioned HD's or even a second internal HD will not work at this point? That would suck. I was planning on getting an extra HD for my PM G5 but what would the point be....

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Does this mean that partitioned HD's or even a second internal HD will not work at this point? That would suck. I was planning on getting an extra HD for my PM G5 but what would the point be....

A second internal hard drive will work.

weezer160

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2003
Wisconsin
In a way, I'm very happy that Apple has decided to delay the release for whatever reason. I'm not sure if it was due more to adding this killer features, or improving stability, or both. Regardless, I'm happy to see cover flow, an improved Finder and Desktop. Those alone are worth the wait.

I think this is a huge contrast to the release of Windows Pissta. For one, it was delayed several times over the past year (and we complain about 5 months). Second, it brought nothing that could actually be considered innovating, because all that stuff you found on vista was either a cheap imitation (come on, Gadgets?) or a downgrade to the Tiger version (the limited aero view). Not to mention, security, stability and practicality, Leopard is definitely set to kick ass.

I personally don't think they'll add any new features. At most, the final release will have been tweaked visually or for stability reasons, but not functionality-wise.

What's next? Lion? Isn't the Lion bigger than a Leopard?

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Wired said:
When it's released for real in October, Leopard is sure to be a hit among newcomers and the Mac faithful alike.

They don't know Apple very well.

...they fricken abuse their faithful... :( *sniff* :(

The majority of Mac-faithfuls are either Pros, prosumers, or educationals... We have macs for all of those demographics except one... Give us a Prosumer Tower!

-Clive

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
That kind of data transfer on a large scale would probably kill some servers, not to mention the torture it would be on anything less than a 5MB/s broadband connection.

That hasn't stopped [my friend] (*cough*) from downloading the now out-of-print Star Trek Voyager series at 4 GB/season...

If there's a will, there's a way...

-Clive

atsang

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
What can PowerPoint do that Keynote can't? The only compatibility issues I have found is multi-column text (which is something keynote can do but powerpoint can't), text shadows (something else keynote can do but PP can't), and table background transparency (another thing Keynote does that PP doesn't). I have yet to find anything that PP does that Keynote can't. And even in the above instances, Keynote always handles exporting to PP quite well. It also has always handled importing from PP completely fine, every time. And yes, this is sharing with PP on a windows computer, specifically PP 2003 (I understand 2007 is very different, but I haven't used it yet and that's a whole other issue as most people will not have upgraded yet).

yes there are things that keynote cannot do. One of them is the ability to increase the thumbnail sizes in light table (a la iphoto). Ever try to view light table and actually try to read some text? Its ridiculous.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK

I think Apple will release an Apple branded external Hard Drive to work with Time Machine alongside the next iMac update, the latest rumour on Appleinsider mentions this "Those same people add that the Cupertino-based Mac maker may also have a few smaller surprises in store for fans of its Mac line around the same time." ;)

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
That hasn't stopped [my friend] (*cough*) from downloading the now out-of-print Star Trek Voyager series at 4 GB/season...

If there's a will, there's a way...

Yeah, people will put up with slow connections to steal stuff off of BitTorrent, but this would be like your friend and a couple hundred thousand others (assuming that most people elect to purchase a physical copy) all hammering the same server farm for the same season of Voyager (all seven seasons of which are still in print, just expensive) at the same time... plus, how many people are really going to be willing to spent a day or two (or three) downloading at 768kb/s or 1.5Mb/s and then burn a dual-layer DVD (assuming they have a DL drive and DL media) for something they just paid $129 for, when they could have had a physical copy delivered by FedEx, on the day of release, for the same $129.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
wow

I've been a mac user since I was a little kid, and I still prefer my mac to all the Windows PC I've used at work, but there's one thing I really don't like about OS X, and it's the fact that you can't rename/delete files in Open/Save dialog boxes... It's been in Windows for ages now and once you start using it, it gets really frustrating to have to use the finder everytime I want to change something to a file.

A good example is with my After Effects/Final Cut Pro workflow. FCP tends to lock files very easily, even if it is deleted in the browser. If I want to render and overwrite the old file with AE, I have to quit FCP or use the Finder to delete the old file. If I was able to delete the file directly from the save dialog box in After Effects, I would have to go through this process dozens of times a day

Are you sure you cant do that? Unfortunately I sold my MBP a few days ago, and i'm waiting for my new one, so i'm in a limbo period where I can't answer this question. But I thought you COULD do it this way:

Bring up the Open box, then highlight what you want to delete, and press Apple + Delete. That SHOULD send it to the trash can. I swear i've done this before...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.