Review: Steinheil Ultra Series Oleophobic screen protector.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PittsDriver, Jul 9, 2010.

1. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Hey all,

my screen protector arrived today so I quickly threw it on. The package was 13.99 and comes with 2 screen protectors, a squeegee, microfiber and microfiber cloth.

The ultra oleophobic series is meant to be anti fingerprint, similar to the coating on the screen on the iphone its self. I picked this protector because I had the Power Support Crystal before on my 3GS and it was a major fingerprint magnet.

Fitment, I am very impressed with the fitment, cut very well, really follows the iphones lines well. and the cutouts are so perfect it is really hard to see the screen protector on the phone. it does not, I repeat, it does NOT have a cut out for the front facing camera. But I didnt find that to be an issue(see photo below). Application was pretty standard. I had actually messed up and tried to realign the protector causing a crease in the bottom right corner which is why you see the lifting of the protector. Other than that there were no issues, and that was my fault not a manufacturing defect.

The surface is ultra clear, very smooth in look, in fact I dont know why an ultra clear is even offered because this looks just like the power support crystal, albeit better cut if you can believe it. The feel is a little draggy on the fingers, you can tell there is a coating on the protector. Nothing too bad but its not as smooth as iPhone glass is.

So far I really like it and I am impressed. There is no rainbowing that I can tell so far but I will keep an eye on it. I really recommend this protector.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pic taken with the front camera:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the grainy pics, they were all taken with the 3GS except for the package and contents pics.

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

That has to be the clearest-looking front film I have ever seen. Looks fantastic.

3. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

4. pikkashoe macrumors regular

Did you have any issues with film sticking around the home button and ear phone.

5. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

not in the least bit actually. Sticks really well, I am going to put the second protector on soon as I messed up the first one. Just nervous I am going to screw up more on the second one lol.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Is it actually 100% clear? I bought the SGP Ultra Clear a few weeks ago and discovered it was more like 90% clear. If you looked at a white screen, you could see tiny little grains in the plastic. Can you compare side by side the crystal from Power Support and see?

How's the oleophobic coating? Does oil wipe away as well as the actual screen?

7. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

I'd like to see the difference between this and the Ultra Clear.

8. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

It makes me kinda regret ordering the Ultra clear. While the install was great it's a horrible fingerprint magnet. If this doesn't offer any sacrifice in clarity, at least anymore than what the Ultra does, then there should be no real reason to even sell the other one.

I can see very light grid lines on a light/white screen(perhaps the grain that vincenz is talking about). Even then I had to look for it and never noticed it until I tried to look for this grain vincenz pointed out.

9. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I have not seen the grains you speak of but I will try tomorrow in direct sunlight, but in daylight I cannot see a thing.

I put the second protector on and it looks much better, fits amazingly, but dammit somehow I didn't clean it well enough and there are 2 pieces of dirt under the protector right in the middle of the screen. Looks like I am going to have to buy another pack of protectors so I can get this right.

I can take a picture of the power support crystal thats on my 3GS, its been on for a year and was really nice and crystal clear. The cutouts for the power support were a bit bigger.

10. outphase macrumors 65816

For the dirt in the middle just use tape to get them out. No need to blow another $20 just yet :p

11. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

What's the best way to peel the screen protector up to get to it though? That's what screwed my first one up.

12. outphase macrumors 65816

I get two pieces of tape, one pulls up the edge while the other goes in to stick to the dust. Carefully put it back down and spot check for dust again. To remove the tape, put your finger down behind it and slowly peel it off.

You don't need to completely pull it off, just make enough room to stick the 2nd piece of tape under.

13. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I feel like these are sticky screen protectors. I'll try to pull it up with some scotch tape but I dunno if it will do it. I'll report back.

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Stick a piece of scotch tape on one of the corners to lift it up.

15. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

That did the trick! Looks ultra incrdible now! I'll snap some high quality pics soon so everyone can see. I will not be purchasing a power support screen protector this time around.

16. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

Has anybody compared these directly to the Ultra Clear ones?

17. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I was going to go for an anti-glare one, but I think this is going to end up being the way I go, the screen looks fantastic!

18. a0911091837 macrumors member

Anti-Fingerprint & Oleophobic in UK

Hey guys, I just got both two set from the UK eBay seller.

I love my oleophobic so far, I will say it really have same quality as the PS. Very clear.

My girlfriend got the anti-fingerprint one, basically is the anti-glare version, not bad but I feel she will go for PS's once it become available in UK. ;)

This picture is from the seller's page, give some comparison

[​IMG].

Anti-fingerprint
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180528766760&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
    Oleophobic
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SGP-STEINHEIL-ULTRA-OLEOPHOBIC-Anti-oil-film-iPhone-4-/180528769162?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item2a085a688a

19. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Do you think you could take some comparison pix of yours and hers and how the screen looks? That would be so helpful!

20. a0911091837 macrumors member

Hi,

I copied the picture from the seller, hope this help.:apple:

[​IMG]

21. jomo25 macrumors regular

The Oleophobic is awesome. I got a set and my wife and I are both using them. I had also purchased the ultra clear, but no need to use those (we'll keep them as spares). These are clear enough! The only advantage the ultra clear has is the hardness supposedly. But the anti-print properties are worth the minor step down there. Note, it will still get some fingerprints, but it won't be quite the magnet as the clear ones would be.

BTW, I'd stay away from the anti-glare ones. Only because the incredible resolution of the phone is a major feature and the anti-glare screens will dull it some. Why do that?

22. nelly41 macrumors regular

man, i'm really convinced and sold on this screen protector. was actually going to wait on the PS anti glare hd. i'm just concerned with the finger print oil smudges, but is it possible that you can try to put your some fingerprints/smudge on it and take a pic to see how reduced it would come out? silly question but would like to see it if possible. lol. thanks.

23. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

As good as PS, but cheaper? I think I'll have to get a set.

24. ShutterBugSteve macrumors newbie

I just installed my Ultra Oleophobic films and I have to say I'm very impressed.

Having come from the PS clear on my old 3G, I wouldn't say these are any less clear. I'm really impressed! They do seem to repel fingerprints pretty well. Definitely much easier to clean than my old PS films.

Just had to throw my 2 cents in on this.

25. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Can anyone post pics compared to the ultra OR with some finger prints after a good wipe? I got spoiled the few days I went filmless and I miss it.

Though I probably shouldn't care because it's only a bother when the screen is off or dark. Except the back looks super greasy lol.