Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I had decided to get a nano for audiobooks when I walk. I waited for the new ones to come out and just didnt like the new one so I bought the 6th gen. I like the really small size. The new design just isn't there for me.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i think the iPod touch is great, just needed to be cheaper. i also think the nano would have been a huge hit if it had wifi, where i could sync over wifi without a cable.

bigjules

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Err..... something fundamental missing from the reviews...

OK, call me weird if you must (many people do) but unless I missed something the iPod Nano is a device intended for listening to music first and foremost. It's not intended to be an "all things to all people" device, so I fail to see why people bemoan the lack of support for apps. If that's what you want, buy a bloody iPod touch! (or a phone...)

More importantly though, all versions of the iPod are (or should be) music-focused. So with that in mind, why on earth is there no mention whatsoever in the reviews of sound quality???? Prime requirement. THE most important thing the device can do, even over operability, to be honest, is to sound good. OK, so I appreciate that sound quality is a personal and primarily subjective issue, but it should be quite possible to give a balanced viewpoint on how it performs, how it compares to peers, whether the analogue stages are any good (probably not), if it suffers from major jitter issues on digital output, etc. It's up to the individual to decide if that sounds (no pun intended) like something they will get on with or not, but at least make an effort.

I like the look of the new Nano a lot, but would I buy one without first auditioning it? Not a chance. Come on reviewers, do your job properly!!

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
mp players of any kind are dinosaurs for those who have iPhones Androids or such and the category is just matured to the point where it will disappear.

Why would I schlepp around 2 devices?

Battery life. If I so much as look at my HTC phone or iPhone it goes flat. On a long journey there's definitely a benefit to a music player with a separate power source.

I suppose that's a good argument for traditional music management though - the more features like wifi and cloud syncing are added, the more of a power drain there'll be.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Battery life. If I so much as look at my HTC phone or iPhone it goes flat. On a long journey there's definitely a benefit to a music player with a separate power source.

I suppose that's a good argument for traditional music management though - the more features like wifi and cloud syncing are added, the more of a power drain there'll be.

We all are usually near power recharging sources.

For that long journey (which for most of us are the exception) even your 2nd device will eventually run out of battery life.

So, this issue becomes all about planning.

But, I could see a second device for those who have extensive music/movie libraries and need more than 64GB.

I was hoping Apple would be able to increase the iphone to 128 GB with Ip5 and iPad, but I guess prices have not come down enough yet.

An SD slot would be great, but that's not Apple.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
That's the kind of assumption that Apple themselves tend to make, and I'm not fond of it :p

For example tomorrow and Saturday I may well be camping, out in a valley. No power outlets in a tent!

As I mentioned "usually" we are near power sources. Camping is not something everybody does "usually"

Even then, for under $ 100

http://allthingsd.com/20120614/sun-power-solar-chargers-that-light-up-your-gadgets/

you can get solar chargers which even work when it is cloudy.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Isn't that still "schlepping around 2 devices"? Except now you have to have to wait about a week for it to charge, and the other device can't play music :)

Posting here is hilarious.
Say that something of Apple's is getting a bit dated, get jumped on.
Say that you CAN see the positive sides of it after all, still get jumped on.
Is it literally not possible to post on this forum without someone raging at you? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.