Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
My fav: 3rd gen
Second fav: 6th gen

they should have kept with the 6th gen design.

LOVE my fatty 3rd gen....

Yes, and added bluetooth 4 to it so you could interface with your phone- APPLE is sooooooooooooooo close to making a Dick Tracy iPod.

It's like how they could kill Nintendo, Sony, and MS in console gaming - they;re so close- just have the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch interface with the Apple tv via wireless - the game shows up on the screen and the device becomes a controller. Or, plug in the Lighting to HDMI connector and to the tv and you literally carry your game console in your pocket all the time.

Zarkizon

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
I'm glad that Apple is still working on the iPod lineup, but I have some criticisms over the recently released iPods.

I think that the 5th gen. iPod touch is too expensive, and I also find it odd how the camera sticks out of it. I also don't really like their color choices.

As for the 7th generation iPod nano, I love the price point for 16GB! Perhaps there will finally be a 32 GB one for the next update? I'm not a big fan of the new design, but it's not awful either; and again, I don't really like the colors.

My favorite iPod ever is the 5th gen. iPod nano—I love how shiny and vibrant the colors were! The camera was a welcomed addition as well.

Attachments

• ipod-nano-5g-family-aperture-effect-468x325.jpg
    ipod-nano-5g-family-aperture-effect-468x325.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 265

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
5th gen nano was the best and last of the true nano design. scoll wheel, glosssy metalic colors,

to bad apple didn do anything with the ipod classic, even if they slag it, to it in a bang with a limited edition design

splproductions

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
I just wanted to throw something out there regarding the iPod Touch.

So many people see this as "just" an "iPod". I also read a review saying that the iPod Touch is for kids old enough to play iOS games, or kids too young to have a cell phone. Thus the reviewer claimed it's target market was a very narrow age range for kids.

I am a grad student, and all of my friends right now are either law, medical, or dental students. There are tons of us who own iPod Touches. Remember the days of PDAs? PalmPilots, Handsprings, Compaqs? An iPod touch is a PDA. I have never played a game on mine, and I rarely use it for music. I use it to schedule appointments and meetings, keep track of schoolwork, email, web, etc. It's indispensable.

An iPhone can end up costing you around $2700 in two years. My iPod + cell plan costs me $1000 in two years (and I have access to WiFi about 95% of my day). Pretty major savings there. Especially when everything is paid for with student loans.

$300 is about the price point I always paid for my PDAs back in the day. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I love the iPod Touch... :)

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
In the name of consistency, only products that run iOS apps use the rounded-corner look. All the iphones, ipads, and ipod Touches do.

Apple TV doesn't, iPod Nano also doesn't. Macs dont, even if they have Launchpad. Wouldn't want someone to think they could run Angry Birds on a Nano. The different shape subtly cues the customer that this is different.

Perhaps, but round icons look like gumdrops. There's something childish about the round icons. It doesn't compliment the shape of the screen or the device. Rectangular wouldn't been better.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
The new iPod Touch is too expensive for my liking. When basically it's a MP3 player for my kids and the pricing is starting to reach towards console prices it's time to draw a line.

If Apple can keep their iPhone prices stable for each new model then I do not understand why the iPod has to be any different.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
They should take the old Nano design, slim it a bit further, and make it the new Shuffle.

They also definitely need a wider price gap.

Exactly.

The Shuffle is cool to go jogging with but it's a pain when you want that specific song or album. It's why I still use my fatboy Nano for running. I have to say, the previous Nano had a screen that was too small to be a touch screen so this new one is interesting.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I'm glad that Apple is still working on the iPod lineup, but I have some criticisms over the recently released iPods.

I think that the 5th gen. iPod touch is too expensive, and I also find it odd how the camera sticks out of it. I also don't really like their color choices.

As for the 7th generation iPod nano, I love the price point for 16GB! Perhaps there will finally be a 32 GB one for the next update? I'm not a big fan of the new design, but it's not awful either; and again, I don't really like the colors.

My favorite iPod ever is the 5th gen. iPod nano—I love how shiny and vibrant the colors were! The camera was a welcomed addition as well.

Agreed with many of your points. Wish there was a 32gb nano. The 5th gen is my favorite nano. I've owned the 4th , 5th and 6th gen nanos (sold the 4th gen to pay for the 5th gen). Wish the 7th gen had a camera to go along with that nice new screen.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Hey, she is not a spoiled brat if anything you're just an person that judges everything. She has books and those devices were given to her by her baby sitter and my cousin. Just because someone has something you didn't have as a child doesn't mean that they're a brat.

okay let's disregard the brat comment but at such a young age do u feel that an ipod touch is a good development tool?

i remember my parents wouldn't let me play video games only certain times or the day as was the tv.

i imagine the ipod touch is with her at all hours.

curious would u give your child an ipod touch?

BoulderAdonis

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
wow - what a spoiled little brat.

go get her a book not a $400 device.

My 11 year old has a classic iPod, iPod Nano, MacBook Air, iPad 2, and 64GB iPhone 4S.

...he also spent a week learning how to program for iOS this summer at Stanford. What were *you* doing on your summer vacations?

If he wants to read a book, he'll download it on his kindle.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
With iCloud, we can download all our content wirelessly

... Except for my nested directories of photos that I don't want to disappear in 30 days, and the dozens of videos that my son watches.

iCloud has some awesome features, like my wife and I finally sharing a calendar, but syncing persistent photos and video that doesn't come from ITMS are sorely lacking.

And before someone mentions "WiFi Sync":

1) iTunes has to be running, which doesn't scale well to multiple users on a single computer
2) I tried it anyway, it mostly didn't.

Decorative

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Damn, those icons on the iPod nano are so ugly. Since they are already mimicking the design of the new Nokia phones, I wish they would just go ahead and adapt the Metro "tiles" from the Windows Phone UI. It would look so much nicer and much more fitting.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Hey, she is not a spoiled brat if anything you're just an person that judges everything. She has books and those devices were given to her by her baby sitter and my cousin. Just because someone has something you didn't have as a child doesn't mean that they're a brat.

My 11 year old has a classic iPod, iPod Nano, MacBook Air, iPad 2, and 64GB iPhone 4S.

...he also spent a week learning how to program for iOS this summer at Stanford. What were *you* doing on your summer vacations?

If he wants to read a book, he'll download it on his kindle.

playing with friends outside?!?!?!:eek:

jesus christ these devices didn't exist when i was a kid

and dont u dare compare an 11 year old to a 6 year old.

there is a world out there! let's not have our young entrapped by devices.

batmangorden

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
DAY ONE keynote I wanted to upgrade my daughter's nano to the new nano. Now with the ability to add movies to it, my little girl will have alot to watch and listen to on road trips.

I think alot of people are putting too much negative on the nano, and the touch. Like this guy said:

So many people see this as "just" an "iPod". I also read a review saying that the iPod Touch is for kids old enough to play iOS games, or kids too young to have a cell phone. Thus the reviewer claimed it's target market was a very narrow age range for kids.

I am a grad student, and all of my friends right now are either law, medical, or dental students. There are tons of us who own iPod Touches. Remember the days of PDAs? PalmPilots, Handsprings, Compaqs? An iPod touch is a PDA. I have never played a game on mine, and I rarely use it for music. I use it to schedule appointments and meetings, keep track of schoolwork, email, web, etc. It's indispensable.

An iPhone can end up costing you around $2700 in two years. My iPod + cell plan costs me $1000 in two years (and I have access to WiFi about 95% of my day). Pretty major savings there. Especially when everything is paid for with student loans.

$300 is about the price point I always paid for my PDAs back in the day. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I love the iPod Touch... :)

The new touch has the improvements to the screen being bigger and with better contrast and color reproduction, as well as much faster processor. LED light on it as well! And the apps........you'll find an app just about for anything. The apps just keep getting better and more innovative as time goes by.

I think if the new nano is displeasing to a certain group of people, it definitely is going to be appealing to a new group of people. That may be not a smart thing to be doing, but i'm optimistic that when people see one in their hands they can try themselves they will start to like. It only matters what you think yourself, not what "reviewer" or "analyst" predicts or cries whoa for.

You never know, Apple might just do something crazy with the nano with an update and open a small store for widgets to be run on it, maybe even a few games, that would be awesome. OR maybe some jailbreakers can do something with it........it has a much bigger screen now......:rolleyes:

BoulderAdonis

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
playing with friends outside?!?!?!:eek:

jesus christ these devices didn't exist when i was a kid

and dont u dare compare an 11 year old to a 6 year old.

there is a world out there! let's not have our young entrapped by devices.

don't *you* dare approve of calling someone a "spoiled brat" when you know nothing about them, nor what their capacity for learning is. nobody was comparing anyone. re-read the post.

he also set up a store on his iPad and sold pop on the corner using the "square" to process credit cards when he was 10. he'd sell you 1 for a $1.00, 2 for $1.75. he probably made (net) $300 *last* summer.

he rides his bike, plays with his friends, skis, snowboards, set up a minecraft server, plays flag football, soccer, swims twice a week, and plays the violin.

it's amazing what kids can accomplish when they are given the opportunity to excel.

i'm pretty sure that flying to SFO, driving to stanford, and seeing san francisco and learning how to program with 100s of other kids is part of the "world out there".

no, these devices didn't exist when we were kids, and the devices my son's son will have don't exist now. but, they do exist, and they will exist. adapt or die.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I prefer to sync data manually with cable, instead of having to reply upon wireless for everything, especially if you don't have wireless access or are on a small data rate. This way I can see the sync to make sure all goes well. USB is also faster than wireless as well. Wireless causes too many issues if not all goes well, or interference issues strike while a sync is in progress this causes data loss / corruption - its simply not reliable enough to use as a primary means of syncing.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea this nano review was written by someone bitter that it wasn't a smart watch rather than an iPod and someone that doesn't get the simplicity and purity of a simple music playback device.

The iPod provides a unique experience that streaming services don't offer.

There is something special about escaping into that isolated world with tracks hand selected by the user.

The nano is awesome because it is focused on media consumption. The bigger screen makes the music browsing more usable - the sixth gen was a compromised device. The 7G nano is what the 6G should have been.

Steve Jobs - how do we make the nano smaller - remove the click wheel - that is where it should have stopped instead they made it into a tiny square that was part shuffle part nano - the 7G is a big step forward.

j2004p

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Too young for such devices imo

Er... so my 1 yr old who has my wife's old iPhone 3GS would not meet your approval?

To pre-defend myself, it is only used to run fisher price and leap-frog like learning apps and is always housed in a fisher price case :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.