RIM telling Apple to Back Off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Whaditis, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Whaditis macrumors regular

News link with Rim's displeasure in being pulled into the Antennagate.

http://www.thestar.com/news/science...m-to-apple-we-don-t-have-your-antenna-problem

The maker of the BlackBerry has a message for Apple CEO Steve Jobs in the ongoing “Antennagate” scandal.

Back off.

When Jobs promised refunds for iPhone 4 customers dealing with dropped calls because of the phone's antenna design, he also implicated other smartphones as having the same issues. He specifically mentioned Research in Motion’s BlackBerry Bold 9700 and showed a video of it having trouble finding a signal.

It didn’t take long for RIM to respond.

“Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation,” read a statement from RIM executives Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie.

Apple released the iPhone 4 on June 24 in the United States, the U.K., Japan, France and Germany. In the first three days, the company sold 1.7 million of the devices.

Shortly after the release, customers started to report dropped signals. Apple told them to buy a case or avoid gripping it in the lower-left corner, something now known as the “death grip.” Last week, the latest iPhone became the only version of Apple's device that Consumer Reports magazine refused to recommend. Apple stock plunged.

RIM’s statement noted that the Waterloo-based company was a global leader in antenna design and has avoided designs like the one Apple used for its latest iPhone.

“One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple,” it read.

2. thales macrumors member

I'd be upset too.

Steve Jobs: "Look! When you squeeze a Blackberry, it loses bars! When you gently touch an iPhone 4 in a certain spot, it loses bars! Same thing guys!"

It's a ridiculous argument and I'd be offended if I was RIM, HTC, Nokia...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are we surprised? I mean Jobs tried to throw other phone manufacturers under the bus. They weren't about to take that lying down.

Nokia, HTC and of course RIM used this as an opportunity to take a swipe at apple and its design. I'd have to say that in all three responses, I tend to agree with them over apple. Especially because apple was so vocal about saying how innovative the antenna design was and how it will make things so much better. Quite the opposite it seems for a number of folks suffering from the problem.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I would be upset too. Steve jobs acknowledges the iphone 4 issues, but he is also trying to drag other phones with iphone 4. He is basically trying to create the attention on the iphone 4's antenna problems to other smart phones as well. That's absurd.

5. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Blackberry has much worse issues on its hands than getting into a pissing match with Apple. RIM has one foot in the grave. Its email client is losing its advantage, its web browser is from 1990, the OS they are building is about 5 years behind the times.

Maybe if they focused less on the antenna, they would not be heading the way of the palm pilot.

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

As with all stories, there is always two sides. And I can safely say I agree with both Jobs, and RIM here.

RIM should be pissed about being "Classified" as a phone in a similar situation as the new i4.

But then again, I dont care if you have to squeeze a phone or not, it either does it, or it doesnt do it. And the BB DO do it as well, maybe not to the same degree, but they do plain and simple.

I for one like my i4, and can reproduce the problem with my BB and my HTC phone, both from ATT. I think Jobs is upset this issue got so big, and I honestly cant blame him this time. The press had a field day, and its extremely funny.

While I agree, BB's are basically the business standard, and until that changes, they will be just fine.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's why in late 2009, Fortune Magazine found RIM to be one of the fastest growing corporations in the world. They're acquiring companies like crazy, at a nearly Apple-like pace. They're completely redesigning their operating system. :rolleyes:

I'm no RIM fan, but really, they're still ahead of apple in marketshare and have a lock in the enterprise. They have some obstacles ahead but its not like they're on life support as you propose.

8. phrint macrumors 6502

That "lock" you state RIM has on business is starting to slip away to Apple. RIM has remained stagnant in the past three or four years while Apple and Android manufacturers have not. RIM has been supposedly redesigning their OS forever now and they have yet to deliver a quality product. Their marketshare continues to shrink and will do so.

9. Whaditis thread starter macrumors regular

Can't see Apple overtaking RIM just yet when it comes to enterprise although Apple can make some inroads in that direction.

10. kuaiyouming, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  11. phrint macrumors 6502

You state that strictly on opinion. Go Google it and see how much the iPhone and iPad are now seeping into enterprise. It's a fact and it's happening now.

12. Whaditis thread starter macrumors regular

In future it may very well be but right now as is RIM still is the leading enterprise solution to the majority of businesses out there.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Perhaps. RIM right now is glidding on the fact that they have been 'de facto' in the Enterprise. They better be smart and realize they aren't going to be much longer if they fall behind as they have been recently.

14. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I don't have to use a case with my iPhone 4 to use it. In fact, I don't. Maybe RIM doesn't understand the situation?

15. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Their growth is largely based on consumer. The corporate side is locked in - for now - but not growing that rapidly. Further, more corporations are moving toward a BYOD model where rather than spend to buy the device, they will let employees bring their own device and get company email on it. Provided, IT has access to remote wipe, etc.

16. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Two words: Good Client

With that, you do not need a BB or BES

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Not sure how anyone could say RIM has "one foot in the grave" since they seem to consistently keep market share.

RIM is okay. Their OS is solid and businesses still love RIM for its security.

Now that half their customers are non-business, they've been trying to pretty up their OS.

That's why they bought a company for their WebKit based browser, and they're adding widgets.

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I bet apple gets sewed at least once a week, every other competing company hates them be ause there better lol

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't get it - is RIM denying that the 9700 drop bars when held a certain way, or are they just unhappy that apple told people about it? Because if they're denying it happens, that's just a lie.

Apple is correct that most if not all other smartphones drop bars when held such that your hand covers the antenna. Both my BB curve and iphone 3GS do that in sub-optimal coverage areas.

The issue is that it happens to a greater degree with the iphone 4 than most (all?) other smartphones - and that's what RIM should have pointed out.

20. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

No thats Apple's way of saying if we go down were taking somebody with us. Their is an old saying"Tend to your own garden"

21. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

RIM has one foot in the grave because their OS is antiquated, they have been losing a percent or two of marketshare every year despite being on all carriers with multiple models and a variety of data plan choices. Probably next year RIM will be second fiddle to the iPhone which is only available on one carrier in many (but not all) markets and only three models available in two form factors.

This is pretty good analysis, and RIM shows no sign of changing course anytime soon.

http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspecul...uld-overtake-blackberry-market-share-in-2011/

22. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Is it absurd if there is truth to it?

Everybody wants to pretend that only Apple has a problem, but that's not the case.

We have 2 LG phones that drop bars when held a certain way.

Personally I think the 'issue' is being blown way out of proportion.

When you are KING OF THE HILL everyone is gunning to take you down.

We now know that Apple is the target.

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

+1

I love my iP4, but I would reacted the same way too. Throwing them under the bus when it is not their problem. It is Apple's. And as Apple claims it is not a widespread problem, why mention them in the first place?

The biggest mistakes Apple did with all this was pointing out where that antenna was to exploit the weakness, act non-chalant about the issue because you hold it the wrong way, and then try to give a love letter press conference to their fans with words like "we love all our customers" and "we want every customer happy." Yeah, all that love talk and then throwing the competition under the bus to cover their asses. They just end up like sounding hypocritical and a dirty rat.

Another mistake is Apple lying in bed with AT&T all these years. It stunted the iPhone sales' potential growth. Understand that in the cell phone market, the manufacturer is only half the equation. It takes two to tango. If your only dance partner is effing up, you end up looking bad too.

The lone ranger mentality doesn't work in this industry. Build good relationships with others. You can't win always alone. Remember when arch-rival Microsoft helped out Apple back in 1997? The day Bill Gates help save Apple? They needed each other. That's why Apple allowed Android to close the gap so soon. Google is a team player.

24. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

25. Corey213 macrumors member

I love their products but the company side of apple is starting to piss me off. They are acting like 7 year olds saying, " well he does it too!"