'Ring in the New Year' Activity Challenge Begins Appearing for Apple Watch Owners Ahead of January

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2017.

1. millerj123 macrumors 65816

Mine had been blissfully uncolored since it announced. Until today. Bleh!

2. GoodHealthIT macrumors member

1700 kilojoules. I usually don't reach it on my rest days, but exceed it for the other 6 days of the week.

I find it a little disappointing that the weekly badges don't look at the overall achievement for the whole week, but then I just complete it for fun and use other tools to track my training.

3. kohlson macrumors 68000

For future reference, just fire up the "Other" activity. Clocks in the Move and Activity, even when you're just sitting there enjoying a movie.

4. midkay macrumors regular

Yay, cheating. What's the point at that point? Are you really fooling anyone?

5. kohlson macrumors 68000

Cheating - right! What's the point?
    In general, I use this because in many cases, my AW0 just doesn't seem to record that I am exercising. some specific cases:
    - Went on a 7-mile training hike, with a 15-pound hike. About 400 vertical feet. Elapsed time was just over 3 hours. My watch registered something like 45-minutes of exercise and 400 calories.
    - Just two days ago, 9.5 miles up 1600 feet, 3.5 hours. As it happened, my daughter had turned on airplane mode on my phone, so only 80 vertical feet were registered. A strenuous hike. But from the heart rate graph, complete lapses in some places, and nice solid 72bpms in many others. So probably mis-reads.
    - I walk a pretty consistent 2 miles most mornings. Mostly flat, always under 20, and usually under 18 min/mile. Exercise and activity rings register somewhat differently depending on whether I wear gloves or not. My theory is that without gloves my hands are in my pockets, and therefore not swinging. The vast majority of the time these walks are recorded as 15 minutes of exercise and 75 calories.

For me, anyway, I have been pleasantly surprised at how the gamification has spurred me to exercise (and stand) much more than I ever did before. It's not like anyone else ever sees these things, at least in my case. And while the AW0 probably has some room for improvement in measuring calories and activity (hence the later models) even Apple has admitted recently that they undercount steps when compared to the "gold standard" - a pedometer. I believe their response to the study was something to the effect of: when your watch says 10K steps, at least you'll know you walked at least that many.

Now if only Apple would invent a device that delivered the benefits of exercise while sitting and watching sports-ball on TV :)

6. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

Same here: swinging arms “improve” the readings.

7. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

mine is set for 1070 and I have a tough time in the winter making it as well...

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

That also improves your exercise, so I guess you fooled yourself into burning more calories :p

9. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

Today was the first day of the 7-day-January challenge ... I felt like a bird with all those flapping arms :rolleyes:

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Speaking of bugs, I didn’t get my December challenge (27 workouts over 15 minutes). I did about 35+, but I noticed that it stopped updating at 23. My wife had the same bug, except hers stopped updating with one left.

Anyone else not get their Dec challenge?

11. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

I had a different December challenge which did work. Strange - I thought the challenges would be the same for everyone (with different distances, average calorie burns or whatever based on previous months) but I guess it's random?

12. ScottC7 macrumors regular

ScottC7

So today (January 7) is the first day that this challenge can be completed...good luck to everybody!

13. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Wonder if the date will actually be put on it for the folks that complete it today.

14. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

I have another walk tomorrow (was lazy on the 1st Jan)... then will be done. Hope the rain forecasted start after I’m home ...

15. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

And done ...

92788DB6-DB66-419B-966D-A666FFCFBA83.jpeg
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2018 ---
    Oh, and no date on the backside

16. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Same. No date.

17. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Same for me. It doesn't show a date on the back; however, the challenge itself is complete.