Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
These Woodbine-smoking cloggie scum should remember their place and show some respect for the authorities. This is a democracy: they have been granted a vote, dammit, what more do they want? They should be grateful.

I know it's a stereotype for the northern working class which was done to a death by the Cambridge footlights team and a couple of comic strips in the sixties and seventies but in relation to what I was talking about I have no idea.Unless it's some long winded and extremely dubious attempt to portray me as romanticising the working class.If so it's ***** ludicrous.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
A Very British Gangster indeed

I might be a bit late here as I haven't read the entire thread but, Video of notorious gangster Dominic Noonan caught on film during Manchester looting

Brought to you by the Telegraph

The last time Dominic Noonan was filmed it was as the subject of Donal McIntyre's 2007 documentary 'A Very British Gangster'. This time he is caught engaging looters in conversation in Manchester city centre yesterday.

Noonan has more than 40 convictions for a wide range of offences including armed robbery, police assault, attacks on prison officers, deception, firearms, prison escape and fraud, and has spent 22 years in prison.

In the footage it is unclear what role, if any, Mr Noonan is playing in the looting but the young men he approaches smile and appear at ease in his company.

Looting was widespread across Manchester city centre on Tuesday night with sportswear stores and electrical shops among those targeted.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I know it's a stereotype for the northern working class which was done to a death by the Cambridge footlights team and a couple of comic strips in the sixties and seventies but in relation to what I was talking about I have no idea.Unless it's some long winded and extremely dubious attempt to portray me as romanticising the working class.If so it's ***** ludicrous.
Concentrate, PK. You're going off-message again. They aren't working class, they're "scum".

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I might be a bit late here as I haven't read the entire thread but, Video of notorious gangster Dominic Noonan caught on film during Manchester looting

That's interesting. Perhaps he's telling them to put the TV back! ;)

Looks like he might be still on licence after being released early from a 9 year gun conviction (jailed back in 2005). He might find himself back inside is he's up to mischief.

CHAOS STEP

macrumors 6502
Read the article and offer fair comment on it rather than offer cheap, glib, sexist sneers. If you can't be bothered to inform yourself of what is under discussion, then save your breath - and your contribution - until you can.

If the journo was a guy I would have said the same thing - albeit replacing the derogatory descriptor.

As I said, I did read it twice, perhaps not in the best way, but it seemed a very rambling, structureless incoherent piece (not because of the way I read it), and not particularly deserving.

It goes both ways too, no one else has clarified the article and why my assessment was misguided except offer equally unhelpful one liners - how's reading it for a third time going to help?

So I am left with my original assessment.

Iamnezzy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Byfleet, UK
Couldn't be a better time, to be ashamed of being British.

I tend not to post much (if at all) but i felt compelled to respond to this, i understand that sinking feeling that something like this could happen, and i can't help but be angry about it but i'm far from being ashamed of where i'm from, i still believe the vast majority of people are good as seen with the big response to riot cleanups and such like which has been fantastic to see, restores faith in humanity and all that, if just a little bit ;)

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land

I neither understand nor share this sentiment. I don't identify with the rioters at all, so I'm not sure why I should feel ashamed about their actions.

Perhaps a little embarrassment or annoyance at the initial police response.

Having said that, I wouldn't classify myself as a strong nationalist anyway.

Last edited:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Self loathing? Hardly, because you don't understand something sticking a nice neat label on it achieves nothing.I've tried the "he who dies with the most toys wins" game and it's boring dull and pointless,essentially I'm interested in humans and their interactions.I've actually not got a great deal against the middle classes except perhaps their propensity for liberal guilt induced hand wringing about the conditions most people live in whilst enjoying the fruits of their luck and not doing anything about it,maybe their overblown sense of entitlement grates as well.Superior social awareness? Again hardly, any of us only needs to take a cursory glance outside ourselves to see the reality of life for most people in this and other countries,contributing to that by trying to climb the greasy pole demeans me as well as others so thats a no go.

Besides all that I like living in the gutter,you meet a better class of people there.

Riiiight. So basically you're just a hypocrite with the nerve to preach to everyone else.

Stay classy.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I hope the British can get peace restored in their country sometime soon. This whole situation is tragic and there isn't even a clear reason behind it. Best of luck to you guys. I hope the US doesn't have riots anytime soon, it's been years, we're long overdue.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Twunts who think that the best way to protest the police shooting a man (who shot first at the police) is to be violent, destructive and all too happy to steal.

You just made the bolded part up didn't you?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/07/police-attack-london-burns

I've not heard any reports that duggen even oped fire.

Back on topic..

Its a shame really that this is happening. It just shows that we are only a few steps away from chaos and social breakdown.

Are you going to apologise to newuser2310 poster who called you on this.(I wouldn't be so harsh people who are ignorant of the Mets propensity for lying may well have thought this was true.I was caught out myself when I said the Met inferred Duggan shot at police,when now we have evidence that a police spokesperson did straight out lie and stated as fact Duggan shot at police)

If you mean I'm prepared to look at the situation in an analytical way and try and see the reasons and background of whats happening without resorting to sub Daily Mail frothing at the mouth about thugs and calling in the Army,then yes I guess to the reactionary right I am part of a problem.Incidently if you think I am uncritically supporting all that is going on you couldn't be more wrong,there are some very nasty violent incidents that have happened during the last few days and I'd condemn them outright. The idiots on the BBC right at this moment are going on about last night "how anarchy reigned" with people this dumb how can you expect a reasoned debate .

(you could do worse than read the quote from MLK I posted earlier and think on )

Please tell me if that is not clear enough for you.

Riiiight. So basically you're just a hypocrite with the nerve to preach to everyone else.

Stay classy.

As I had posted earlier I condemn without reservation what happened to this guy.That being said I'm sure you can understand why Cameron et al are pushing this as a symbol of the riots,it's good television and it appeals to the sentimentalised,instantly judgemental without having any knowledge in depth average TV consumer.I notice not much reference is being made to the sixteen year old girl who had the ***** beaten out of her in front of hundreds of witness's in Tottenham (something that changed a peaceful protest into what we see now) no groovy video clip you see and your TV audience can't digest anything thats not presented in 30sec chunks:

"In this sense, there exists a hierarchy of victimization, both reflected and reinforced in media and official discourses. At one extreme, those who acquire the status of ‘ideal victim’ may attract massive levels of media attention, generate collective mourn- ing on a near global scale, and drive significant change to social and criminal justice policy and practice (Greer, 2004; Valier, 2004). At the other extreme, those crime victims who never acquire legitimate victim status or, still worse, are perceived as ‘undeserving victims’ may receive little, if any, media attention, and pass virtually unnoticed in the wider social world."

http://www.uk.sagepub.com/stout/greer_news_media - vic_crime_soc.pdf

Incidentally as someone who has been attacked in the street by 25 masked up 12-16 year olds and who as a result received multiple smashed teeth and a jaw broken in two places I think I'd probably know what this guy is going through better than most.In spite of this I'll continue to try and understand these kids and refrain from throwing around thinly veiled racist terms like "feral children".(thanks again to the NHS for providing me with a five tooth platinum and porcelain bridge and multiple gold molar caps which as a victim of crime I received free of charge)
Presumably you do know that the most likely victim of street robbery in London is a young black male.Now I would have thought you'd have lost the typical simplistic sentimentalised American view of crime in society,apparently not.You could do worse than read the paper I quoted from above.

Catch yourself on.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal

Ashamed?

People tend to forget the police are too small in numbers to cover every single square inch of England.

That is why communities united to defend their turf, which I applaude and admire them for it.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Are you going to apologise to newuser2310 poster who called you on this.(I wouldn't be so harsh people who are ignorant of the Mets propensity for lying may well have thought this was true.I was caught out myself when I said the Met inferred Duggan shot at police,when now we have evidence that a police spokesperson did straight out lie and stated as fact Duggan shot at police)

I am not going to apologize for giving the information that I had at the time.

Peterkro said:
Please tell me if that is not clear enough for you.

Oh I hear you loud and clear. I'm quite done listening to your drivel.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
I am not going to apologize for giving the information that I had at the time.

You can see why I'm not a uncritical supporter of the Guardian,at least they put "exchange of fire" in quotes and the second time used the word apparent.Even they are aware that what the Met says is often lies.

Oh I hear you loud and clear. I'm quite done listening to your drivel.

My drivel is not compulsory,there's much more and better drivel for you to chose from.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Ashamed?

People tend to forget the police are too small in numbers to cover every single square inch of England.

That is why communities united to defend their turf, which I applaude and admire them for it.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I'm not ashamed of the people defending, I'm ashamed of the scum looting and attacking people, burning things, for no particular reason. Don't let the excuse that some gangsta got shot be it!

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I'm not ashamed of the people defending, I'm ashamed of the scum looting and attacking people, burning things, for no particular reason. Don't let the excuse that some gangsta got shot be it!

Never said it was. Most of the hoodlums do not know the reason behind the original protest.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Never said it was. Most of the hoodlums do not know the reason behind the original protest.

Wouldn't it be interesting if someone goes round with a camera, asking these chavs why they're protesting. I bet none of them could answer why the original protests started.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Wouldn't it be interesting if someone goes round with a camera, asking these chavs why they're protesting. I bet none of them could answer why the original protests started.

Bet that guy would lose his camera pretty quick! :D

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal

A reporter for Sky News already did. He was in Manchester Tuesday evening and asked a masked white kid why was he stealing and concealing his identity, he simply replied "I am not a law abiding citizen, and I am looting because tonight is a night where you can do everything you want, so I am looting what I can".

I think the statement speaks for itself...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.