Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PAS3058

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Is this even possible? I have a MAC & PC... does anyone have links for me to read? I googled quite a bit tonight... but no luck finding this info. I would prefer to do it on my MAC... I just need to get a BLU RAY for it... (if it even exists yet)

PAS

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I don't know of any software for OSX that is even capable of cracking Blu-Ray @ the moment.

And yes, no drives yet, no joy.

Apart from playing it in a Blu-Ray player, and capturing the video / re-encoding. That would be lossy, expensive, and likely not worth it.

Oh yeah, HDMI kinda defeats that, doesn't it. ;)

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Pointless. Ripping dvd to your phone is so clear anyway.

Yes, it is pointless as the resolution of the iPhone is lower than a standard definition DVD, but as BluRay's become more popular, many people, like myself have stopped buying DVD's and only buy BluRays. It would be nice to be able to watch the BluRay's I've bought on my iPhone. But yes there is no way to do this as of yet.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Yes, it is pointless as the resolution of the iPhone is lower than a standard definition DVD, but as BluRay's become more popular, many people, like myself have stopped buying DVD's and only buy BluRays. It would be nice to be able to watch the BluRay's I've bought on my iPhone. But yes there is no way to do this as of yet.

Thats years and years away. Bluray is currently holding 8% of the market.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
There are several programs out there that allow you to rip the video from Blu-Ray including AnyDVD.

As others have said, those of us buying Blu-Ray for the best audio/video available would still like to be able to take a portable copy with us on our mobile devices such as the iPhone a laptop, etc.

Many people expect that eventually Blu-ray releases might include a utility to rip a watermarked lower "DVD" quality version for burning and use in other players in the home.

Additionally some studios such as Disney include a "portable" copy of the film that can be played on an iPod that comes on a separate disk in the Blu-Ray release.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
First off it's Blu Ray not Blue Ray. Second why would you want to do this? Is your whole movie library on blu already?? That's the only reason why you would want to do this. Your not going to see any difference in quality in your iPhone. I bought a standalone Blu Ray player to play movies at home on a 60" HDTV to get more of a theater response from my AV equipment....why would you want to watch it on an iPhone

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
First off it's Blu Ray not Blue Ray. Second why would you want to do this? Is your whole movie library on blu already?? That's the only reason why you would want to do this. Your not going to see any difference in quality in your iPhone. I bought a standalone Blu Ray player to play movies at home on a 60" HDTV to get more of a theater response from my AV equipment....why would you want to watch it on an iPhone

I think you are in the minority on the opinion that you should have to buy multiple copies of a movie so that you can view it on your various devices.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I think you are in the minority on the opinion that you should have to buy multiple copies of a movie so that you can view it on your various devices.

I agree. Some movies offer the ability to download the version in itunes free - my wife bought sex and the city on Blu-Ray and got a code to buy the Itunes version for free. I think all movies should be that way.

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I agree. Some movies offer the ability to download the version in itunes free - my wife bought sex and the city on Blu-Ray and got a code to buy the Itunes version for free. I think all movies should be that way.

Nice for those with iPhones or iPods but what about everyone else? There is DRM on the video, right? That would benefit me but I definitely do not like the exclusivity of it.

mack255

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
okay even if there is why to rip Blu ray the movie size is 50 GB that wouldn't fit on the iphone

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
okay even if there is why to rip Blu ray the movie size is 50 GB that wouldn't fit on the iphone

If you can rip the raw video from a blu-ray to a format such as MPEG then re-encoding it with the proper specs for the iphone is trivial.

No one here is stupid enough to suggest that we want to put a full 25-30GB 1080P movie onto a portable device.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
No one here is stupid enough to suggest that we want to put a full 25-30GB 1080P movie onto a portable device.

Well, there are some rather stupidly literal people here, who would jump all over this thinking thats what was meant.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Is this even possible? I have a MAC & PC... does anyone have links for me to read? I googled quite a bit tonight... but no luck finding this info. I would prefer to do it on my MAC... I just need to get a BLU RAY for it... (if it even exists yet)

PAS

Pointless to even consider. iPhone supports 480X320 resolution. Blu Ray supports up to 1080p. Plus to rip a blu ray movie would require 20GB of data that your iphone does not even support.

Why do you even need blu ray ripping? The mainstream people will not get into blu-ray for at least another 2 years. Most are simply happy with their current cheap DVD player and those that do up-converting.

I use Blu Ray on my Sony PS3 on my 52 inch Samsung LCD HDTV. 1080p is awesome but "I could live" with playing my regular DVD on my HDTV. The picture still looks great with cheap DVD.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Pointless to even consider. iPhone supports 480X320 resolution. Blu Ray supports up to 1080p. Plus to rip a blu ray movie would require 20GB of data that your iphone does not even support.

Why do you even need blu ray ripping? The mainstream people will not get into blu-ray for at least another 2 years. Most are simply happy with their current cheap DVD player and those that do up-converting.

I use Blu Ray on my Sony PS3 on my 52 inch Samsung LCD HDTV. 1080p is awesome but "I could live" with playing my regular DVD on my HDTV. The picture still looks great with cheap DVD.

I already explained this.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

I think the intent wasn't to get a 20gb HD movie onto the iphone but a re-encoded low-res version ripped *from* the Blu ray disc that would be less than 1gb. You can do that now with a DVD but the OP is asking if that is also possible with the new format.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I love how, on this forum, any time a thread is started discussing a topic that is new, difficult, or not yet possible to do, everyone tries to tell the OP that it is not necessary, stupid, or unreasonable. What a joke.

The reason is very clear. He has a bluray movie disc (that he presumably does not also have on DVD) and he wants a copy of the movie to watch on his iphone. What more do you need to know? He didn't ask if it was a good idea, and didn't mention once that he's doing it because he thinks he'll achieve improved video or audio clarity or anything of the sort.

The reason why anyone would need this are simple. For high quality TVs, with large screens (60"+), the difference between DVD and bluray is night and day. Therefore people buy blurays instead of DVDs, since the primary use for this optical media is for viewing on their hometheater, where they notice a big difference between the two formats. If these people then want to watch the same movie on their iphone, they have a need to rip the bluray disc. Obviously, in this case, they have no need to rip it in full 1080p resolution, but they still need to rip it. Saying that this is not necessary is just ignorant.

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
If you can rip the raw video from a blu-ray to a format such as MPEG then re-encoding it with the proper specs for the iphone is trivial.

Well from reading a few of these replys I have to say that some people really are that stupid for thinking that's what the original poster was trying to do.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I love how, on this forum, any time a thread is started discussing a topic that is new, difficult, or not yet possible to do, everyone tries to tell the OP that it is not necessary, stupid, or unreasonable. What a joke.

Often, the people who make such comments don't know what they're talking about. For example, it is possible to put a movie from a Blu-Ray disc onto your iPhone, provided it meets these criteria:

1. The BR disc contents have been ripped to a hard disk without HDCP or encryption.
2. The video is in H.264 or MPEG-2.
3. The audio is in AC3.

If these criteria are met, then then current Handbrake snapshot can use its iPhone or iPod presets to downsize the 1080p BR movie to work on iPhones and iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.