Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
The clicking started today, and so I just ran the SMARTUtility and came up with this. All data is backed up, my AppleCare is up... so there's nothing else to do but wait and figure out how to replace it. =/

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-18 at 11.13.25 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-18 at 11.13.25 PM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 428

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The clicking started today, and so I just ran the SMARTUtility and came up with this. All data is backed up, my AppleCare is up... so there's nothing else to do but wait and figure out how to replace it. =/

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_MBA

For the MacBook Air 1,1 models, they have 30GB, 60GB and 120GB SSDs.
(see small note & link near bottom of page for MacBook Air 1,1)

Probably best bang for the buck considering the age of the computer: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SMBAZIF60/

komoornik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Oh come on !

RIP, coz HDD died?

Good point about SSD - I'll never use HDD anymore in a portable device.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I had the original 80GB drive fail the same way. Even though it was under warranty, I decided to upgrade to a 120GB. This was about 1.5 years ago, from iFixit, and they're still relatively expensive at $249. Since SSD prices have come down ($319 for OWC's 120GB), I would definitely go that route next time.

OWC has installation videos (though I don't know about the rev. A), but iFixit.com has repair guides that cover that model.

btw: Lion runs fine on it (1.6GHz), so it's got a quite a bit of life left in it.

Last edited:

msoravia

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Como, Italy
I would consider buying a new one, it's "cheaper" than replace the hdd.
When did you bought it by the way? I had my rev.a air on the very first day Steve announced it and it's been quite a while since warranty expired!
I've been through a broken hinge (repaired for free), and the ssd i bought failed, so had to reinstall the old 80 gb drive.
I'm writing laying on the couch waiting for the ups man to deliver me a new 11' air, and I couldn't be happier. :)
Just my 2c. though

Edit: When you say your applecare is up, you mean over or still working? :|

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I would consider buying a new one, it's "cheaper" than replace the hdd.
When did you bought it by the way? I had my rev.a air on the very first day Steve announced it and it's been quite a while since warranty expired!
I've been through a broken hinge (repaired for free), and the ssd i bought failed, so had to reinstall the old 80 gb drive.
I'm writing laying on the couch waiting for the ups man to deliver me a new 11' air, and I couldn't be happier. :)
Just my 2c. though

AppleCare covered us through last winter.

I suppose we'll have to see what SSD prices are when the 120GB HDD goes. If they're ~ $300 or less, and we don't have any major s/w restrictions due to age, I'd probably still repair it. It doesn't see much in the way of heavy-duty app use, so it'll run fine for quite some time.

msoravia

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Como, Italy
AppleCare covered us through last winter.

I suppose we'll have to see what SSD prices are when the 120GB HDD goes. If they're ~ $300 or less, and we don't have any major s/w restrictions due to age, I'd probably still repair it. It doesn't see much in the way of heavy-duty app use, so it'll run fine for quite some time.

Just checked on gmaps where 119w34n is... ;)
Let me say living in the U.S. helps a lot, i would have to consider a lot of variables: usd/eur rate, ridiculously high shipping price, credit card surcharge, vat (since saturday it's 21% :( ). Oh, and you certainly have to do it yourself. Unfortunately, it's way easier to buy a new one for me. I'll get a green card someday ahahah

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Just checked on gmaps where 119w34n is... ;)
Let me say living in the U.S. helps a lot, i would have to consider a lot of variables: usd/eur rate, ridiculously high shipping price, credit card surcharge, vat (since saturday it's 21% :( ). Oh, and you certainly have to do it yourself. Unfortunately, it's way easier to buy a new one for me. I'll get a green card someday ahahah

I can definitely see where a repair could be a problem where you are. Sounds complicated. :)

As you know, we don't have a VAT, but sometimes I think it could make for a simpler tax system. Couldn't be much worse...no, wait, it could! ;) (In reality, I doubt we'll ever see that happen.)

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
FWIW a few eBay sellers have the correct (5mm) Samsung 120GB PATA interface replacement hard drives (the same ones mentioned on iFixit for $250) that will fit the Rev A. that take literally 5 minutes or so to replace. $65 at last look brand new! Worked flawlessly in my old faithful Rev A in place of the original 80GB.

Unless of course you can afford the SSD upgrades. I just love the speed bottlenecks that SSD's take out of the equation. For seek times measured in thousandths of a second- to a computer that "thinks" in a millionth of a second or less- that's a 1000 to 1 bottleneck at least.

Plus- the one constant I've found in every laptop I have ever used- from the GRID laptops from 1982 or so to the latest ones still using rotating platter hard drives- is that EVERY platter-based hard drive will eventually fail. It's inevitable. Moving parts stink! :D

Last edited:

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_MBA

For the MacBook Air 1,1 models, they have 30GB, 60GB and 120GB SSDs.
(see small note & link near bottom of page for MacBook Air 1,1)

Probably best bang for the buck considering the age of the computer: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SMBAZIF60/
Thank you for the links. The 60GB Mercury Aura Pro really piqued my interest but alas, doesn't look like it's compatible as I picked up my Air ~Mar 2008. So looks like, as you mentioned, this is my best option: ZIF. And would this SSD be noticeably faster than the ~$65 120GB HDD options that Poindexter333 mentions below?

I had the original 80GB drive fail the same way. Even though it was under warranty, I decided to upgrade to a 120GB. This was about 1.5 years ago, from iFixit, and they're still relatively expensive at $249. Since SSD prices have come down ($319 for OWC's 120GB), I would definitely go that route next time.

OWC has installation videos (though I don't know about the rev. A), but iFixit.com has repair guides that cover that model.

btw: Lion runs fine on it (1.6GHz), so it's got a quite a bit of life left in it.
Good to know, thanks!

FWIW a few eBay sellers have the correct (5mm) Samsung 120GB PATA interface replacement hard drives (the same ones mentioned on iFixit for $250) that will fit the Rev A. that take literally 5 minutes or so to replace. $65 at last look brand new! Worked flawlessly in my old faithful Rev A in place of the original 80GB.

Unless of course you can afford the SSD upgrades. I just love the speed bottlenecks that SSD's take out of the equation. For seek times measured in thousandths of a second- to a computer that "thinks" in a millionth of a second or less- that's a 1000 to 1 bottleneck at least.

Plus- the one constant I've found in every laptop I have ever used- from the GRID laptops from 1982 or so to the latest ones still using rotating platter hard drives- is that EVERY platter-based hard drive will eventually fail. It's inevitable. Moving parts stink! :D
You're right, I think if it's worth saving this Air, it's worth upgrading to an SSD. I'll likely go the 60GB route, just so I can have the speed benefits and rely on networked storage or USB keys/drives to store my media.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Ended up ordering the Renice 60GB from MemoryC - will report back when it arrives!

riveting

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
It's a pity that I haven't taste the SSD on my Rev. A MBA before my wife becomes impatient about how slow and hot the Rev. A MBA is. So we ordered a new 13 MBA yesterday, while I know we would enjoy the new MBA, the dollars spend on both the original Rev. A MBA and new MBA after 2.5 years really hurts.

We could get like 30 HP touchpads with that money.

I installed a Renice SSD in my rev1 Air and it is now performing like a "spring lamb" :cool:
For those in Europe here is a link: http://www.memoryc.com/products/des..._Disk_for_PC_and_Macbook_Air_Rev_A/index.html

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Sorry for the delay - the Renice SSD is up and running on my Air and it's blazing fast (in comparison). I followed the installation instructions on ifixit.com and was relatively painless, with the exception of me stripping two screw heads that I had to subsequently drill out to get the original hard drive out. Will post pics soon but I am very, very happy and would recommend this to anyone with an original Air who wants to get a little more life from their machine.

yetieater

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
USA
Sorry for the delay - the Renice SSD is up and running on my Air and it's blazing fast (in comparison). I followed the installation instructions on ifixit.com and was relatively painless, with the exception of me stripping two screw heads that I had to subsequently drill out to get the original hard drive out. Will post pics soon but I am very, very happy and would recommend this to anyone with an original Air who wants to get a little more life from their machine.

Yay! SSDs are wonderful! Glad to hear that your machine is running again.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida

Congrats man! I did the same with my mid 2009 Air last winter. I had the 120GB HDD, and was fed up with how slow and awful it was, and debated getting one of the new Airs. In the end, I decided to get an SSD for my current one instead, and bought the 120GB one from OWC. it made me fall in love with my Air all over again :D I can see myself using this machine for some while to come now :)

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Just wanted to post follow up to this and say how well my Air is doing, three months after the operation. It's like I have a new laptop- the thing is so quick! And while it's probably my imagination, the battery life seems better too.

Highly recommend the runcore SSD, and thanks to all for the direction and encouragement.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Got some bad news, folks. The Renice SSD appears to have packed up shop. I woke up yesterday to a frozen MBA, after which I restarted and got the flashing system folder with a question mark on it. So, I proceeded to do a Remote Install over the Air with my Mac Pro and now using Disk Utility on the MBA, I can't even format the Renice - I am getting the error "Waiting for disks to reappear". I can't move passed this.

Any idea what the problem is - has my SSD died?

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
Got some bad news, folks. The Renice SSD appears to have packed up shop. I woke up yesterday to a frozen MBA, after which I restarted and got the flashing system folder with a question mark on it. So, I proceeded to do a Remote Install over the Air with my Mac Pro and now using Disk Utility on the MBA, I can't even format the Renice - I am getting the error "Waiting for disks to reappear". I can't move passed this.

Any idea what the problem is - has my SSD died?

Sounds like it. That's the one downside to SSDs. When they die, they just up and die. At least on platter drives, about 50% of the time you get a slower death, so you know when things start looking bad. But SSDs are all or nothing. :(

It should still be under warranty, no?

One thing about the RevA MBA's lifespan is that Mountain Lion will not work with the X3100 GPU in the RevA Air, so it's going to be left behind when ML comes out in the summer.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I put a 128GB SSD in a 1st gen MBA about 3 years ago (just outside AppleCare) and its still going strong, running Lion 10.7.4 for basic web/office apps.

Pretty straight forward to do too, with easy to follow instructions at iFixit.

Can't see why you wouldn't get another 3 years out of it. A machine pushing 10 years of service is stunning IMHO!

thewoz

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
Never buy a brand new Apple anything. Buy the 2nd or 3rd they make of it.

My friend bought a Core 2 Duo Lenovo in 2008. It's big and plastic and it runs Windows 8 (preview) like a champ.

e0b4b1ac.jpg

It has been from Bangkok to Ireland back to Bangkok again. Nothing has broken or gone wrong with it. Still runs the latest OS and apps like a champ.

Actually he says it runs even better with Windows 8 than when he got it 4 years ago. He has bought another newer one, but this one is his main Machine for work. Smooth as butter. Cost him about $1,050 and has Blueray.

How much did this Air cost back then?

Where is the value for money here?

And he asked me to add that it has never ever crashed or frozen up.

Good that the Air weighs as much as Air. It'll be fun when you throw it like a Frisbee off a really tall building.

The NEW Airs are fine laptops, but the first Air was a disaster. I think you should get rid of it while it still works and get something else.

Last edited:

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Sounds like it. That's the one downside to SSDs. When they die, they just up and die. At least on platter drives, about 50% of the time you get a slower death, so you know when things start looking bad. But SSDs are all or nothing. :(

It should still be under warranty, no?

One thing about the RevA MBA's lifespan is that Mountain Lion will not work with the X3100 GPU in the RevA Air, so it's going to be left behind when ML comes out in the summer.
Indeed, just got my k3vlar back from warranty (though I did have to pay $64 shipping to get it to memoryc in Ireland!) and I'll hopefully be performing the transplant and upgrade this weekend.

Interesting fact about Mountain Lion - I didn't know that. I'm wondering now if I should take the plunge and put Lion on it? I'm still running Snow Leopard and like it a lot because I like my Spaces.. :eek:. Thoughts on whether Lion will be *quicker* than Snow Leopard?

I'll let you know how the upgrade goes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.