'Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration' Coming to Mac This Spring

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SeminalSage macrumors member

SeminalSage

FYI, just some of my Steam games on MacOS:
    - Rocket League
    - BattleTech
    - Civ VI
    - Stellaris
    - Shadowrun series
    - Chivalry
    - Witcher series
    - Portal series
    - Bioshock series
    - Bloodbowl

I don't know what your tastes are, but there is a pretty wide selection of FPS, RPGs, Sports, RTS, and Puzzlers out there. Yes, some are older, and I'm never going to say a MB is a great game computer, but there is a lot to play.

And, as a bonus FYI, SteelSeries' engine is available on Mac so you can have a gaming set-up if you want. Mine:

MacSetup.jpg

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Skyrim, and Fallout series. I also like Wolfenstein, and I don't believe it runs on macOS

3. Eightarmedpet macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

Screenshot of my steam Mac Library... although I play in bootcamp, on my 2017 13" MBP, with a 1070 in an eGPU... most run on high settings, 1440, 60fps.

Lets see what Apples plans are for eGPU's this spring....

Attached Files:

4. SeminalSage macrumors member

SeminalSage

I do wish Fallout would come to macOS.

5. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

1. It will run the game without any problems. I ran Rise of the TR fine at medium to high settings at 40-50fps on my non-maxed out 2014 iMac 5k in bootcamp. Your iMac will run it really good.
    2. You didn't buy your iMac for gaming, did you?
    3. Negativity first should be Macrumors forum motto, I guess.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2018 ---
    Or a PS4/XBOX.

6. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

In my tests metal 2 is still slower than windows but better than nothing.

However ports typically won’t bother with metal so you’ll likely need to dual boot windows to get good performance.

I’m curious how many titles are metal comatiblr now. I bet maybe a dozen?

7. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Every Feral port in the past year is metal. It would be almost impossible to use macOS OpenGL to port these games.

See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/list-of-mac-metal-games.2045606/ for an incomplete list.

8. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Meh, sure if you want gimped graphics, low frame rates, long load times and a noobstick controller.

9. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

Maxed out as in Radeon Pro 580 with 8 GB VRAM?

Rest assured that your iMac won't have any issues handling any AAA game of the next few years. That is, QHD (1440p so half the native 5K resolution) with medium to high settings at least.

Heck, my late 2012 iMac (GTX 680MX) is over five years old and only now starts to show its age when it comes to gaming. Not long ago that I cloud play any game decently in (native) QHD with medium or high settings. Given the game ran on Nvidia GPUs, which under Windows basically all games do.

10. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Yes :)
    Great game and Feral rocks. Metal will be required so for best optimization it will require 10.13.4 imho

11. bradg60 macrumors newbie

We'd have games released on time, especially from Feral. They are always later delivering on their promise and the odds are this game will be the same.

12. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

I can't speak for the higher end iMacs, but I suspect that the iMac Pro will probably run the thing great on high settings at 4k resolution. My budget gaming PC runs the thing great at ultra settings 1080p, and the iMac Pro stomps my rig into paste. Assuming Feral has done a good job optimizing the thing (hopefully using Metal instead of Open GL), it'll probably run just fine on any late model (past year or two) Mac with a discrete graphics card.

At 1080p. To be clear, aside from the iMac Pro I don't expect any Macs will be able to do better than 1080p (maaaaybe 1440) no matter how great a job Feral does.
    Spoken like a true member of the PC master race!;)

13. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Games released from whom?o_O:rolleyes:

14. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Want to feel even older? It's actually 22 years by now… :p

15. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Yeah, I hear Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us really look good on a non-gimped PC graphics....

Oh, wait....

16. star-affinity, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Yes, that has long been the major problem with gaming on the Mac I think – setting the lack of powerful GPU hardware options aside: the games that has been available for macOS has performed (and still does in many cases) quite a lot worse compared to Windows on the same hardware, to my understanding mostly because of the state of OpenGL performance in macOS

Now when there is a modern and seemingly efficient graphics API in macOS (Metal) there still seems to be a lot of time needed for it to mature – at least when it comes to giving games good performance. World of Warcraft has supported Metal for quite some time, but things still seems to run better in Windows. Other games supporting Metal seems to have performance issues still – Starcraft 2 (Metal support in beta currently) and their Heroes of the Storm had beta support for Metal but was removed for now because of issues. The performance of Rocket League and other games utilizing the Unreal Engine (which only supports Metal as of some version back) still seems to be quite a lot behind compared to how performance (frame rate) is in Windows on the same hardware.

But I do think the Metal game The Witness is running well now (which I have compared a bit to the Windows version) for me after the update they released at the end of last year.

It's understandable that things will be better in Windows for the foreseeable future, but it would be nice if we could get relatively close in macOS at least. Maybe in a year or so? Hmm, I think I said that last year too… :)

Here's a rather up-to-date list: https://www.macgamerhq.com/guides/macos-metal-games/

I haven't tried them all and compared them to their Windows counterparts. It would be an interesting endeavor that I unfortunately don't have time for at the moment.

17. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

And you say that based on what?

18. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

I play on on macOS with eGPU and I have a lot of fun!

19. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

Will Angelina Jolie have .... j/k. Has it really been 20yrs since her first role in these movies? Looks too much the same. Why do we need a remake of this movie again?

20. wubsylol, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

wubsylol macrumors 6502

As powerful as the iMac Pro is, it won’t be running RotTR at 5K anywhere near max settings. Even the Vega Pro 64 is more like a 1070 when it comes to gaming performance, and that is squarely a 1080/1440p card.

21. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Native 5k maybe not, but downscaled to 4k at high (not highest) settings really oughta run at a perfectly playable rate, above 50fps even on the Vega 56, if Metal is even close to as optimized as we've been told. That API technology is the big unknown for me, I haven't tried any of the heavier games I own (like Hitman) on macOS because I don't have a Mac that would come even anywhere close to running them.

I guess someone with Hitman and an iMac Pro could probably answer this question, as in my experience on PCs Hitman and RotTR used pretty similar system resources for similar performance on my gaming rig.

22. wubsylol macrumors 6502

Unlikely. The system as a whole is powerful but the Vega 64 is nowhere near a 1080ti. Factor in the typical Mac performance differential, and yea...

23. Chrizx74 macrumors newbie

Chrizx74

The question here is: will it use Metal or OpenGL?
    I played it on PS4 and did not encounter any bug at all.

24. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Metal.
    It’s listed on the mini site.

No new demanding game will use OpenGL on macOS.

25. Ulisescm macrumors regular

Ulisescm