rMacbook.. or Ipad?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TreRep, Mar 12, 2015.

1. TreRep macrumors regular

TreRep

i think the retina macbook is too overpriced...

at this point an iPad is better for the kind of work you can use the rMB i think... maybe an iPad Pro 12 with a keyboard accessory made by apple directly....

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

rMB all the way. I have both an iPad Air 2 and a cMBP. I barely ever use the iPad.

As for iPad keyboards, Apple doesn't make one and even with the keyboard, you still have to touch the screen.

3. TreRep thread starter macrumors regular

TreRep

someone in another thread has my opinion.. is like driving cars with automatic transmission....

maybe apple is joking with us again : in the fall they will present the ipad pro and the y will explain that touch screen is better :)

ps : surface pro is touch, dell xps is touch, new pixelbook 2 is touch.... :eek:

----------

Originally Posted by rcp27 View Post

We are in a transitional period today because from 1984 until about 2010, pretty much everyone who used a computer did so based on the WIMP (windows icons mouse pointer) paradigm. We have a whole generation brought up to expect computers to work in a certain way, many of whom find they don't get on as well with the fingers poking a touch screen paradigm. There are kids today, however, who are growing up with the fingers poking a screen as their "natural" computer interface (I hear a lot of stories about kids being introduced to a laptop or desktop and getting confused by the lack of a touch screen). There are, of course, still use cases where the command line interface is the optimum way of using a computer.

I think the non-tablet computer will be a bit like a manual transmission on a car. There are cases where it is superior to an automatic, but most people who drive a manual never actually drive in those conditions. People's acceptance of the new paradigm is more to do with cultural factors than technical factors.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

They are totally different products.
    rMB is more powerful than the MBA, so i don't see the rMB as an alternative to an iPad anymore than the MBA was.

In a very simple world i see the MBA as irrelevant and pointless.
    But the great thing about a range is you pick the model what works for you in the same way you pick the RAM and PROC you want.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The iPad doesn't run Logic Pro, Reason, Xcode, and my Windows and Linux VMs. I'm currently running all this and more on my C2D white MacBook with 4GB RAM. The new MacBook would be a great upgrade for me, but my current machine is still running so well I can't replace it yet.

6. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Why choose. Get both and use the Ipad in landscape with Duet to act a second screen. That is what ill be doing. Just need to get a USB C with usb and power adapter.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

:confused: elaborate, please.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You can't use Microsoft Office effectively on an iPad. You also cannot install many software on an iPad. You are comparing apples and oranges.

iPad = mobile operation system
    MacBooks = full desktop operating system

I can't install Office in an iPad. I can't install Photoshop on an iPad. I can't edit .raw files on an iPad. Those three alone is enough difference between a tablet and a laptop.

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

On the synthetic benchmarks 6 out of the 8 tests show the new processors are actually faster than those in the previous MBA, so i truly fail to see how people can label the rMB a "toy". And no, i don't own, or intend to own one. However if i was in the market i would consider one. If portability was key the rMB would be the one. If i wanted power id go MBP. I see no logical reason to ever buy an air now.

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_m_5y71-453-vs-intel_core_i5_4250u-3

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Very interesting. I 'll be looking forward to some real life tests.
    What about cpu intensive tasks? How is heat managed without fans?

For myself the rmb is out of the question anyway, since I just use my rmbp, that has the ports and power I need. From my experience the mba performs extremely well. If the rmb can keep up with that, good. The lack of ports is still a huge problem though.

11. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

I think you should wait till it comes out because I am certain everybody will be surprised by how well it performs..

12. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

I just don't know, so I'm not going to invent something as most people seem to do. I just don't understand the attitude of some that this is a bad machine. Looking at the top line stats it seems to be fine, or on a par lets say.

If i was doing anything intensive id be looking more towards the MBP anyway so id not be too worried about graphic performance.

4260U is here
    http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_m_5y71-453-vs-intel_core_i5_4260u-423

and 5260U is here, but again both reasonable or comparable performance (synthetic test comparisons)
    http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_m_5y71-453-vs-intel_core_i5_5250u-469

13. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

Only if you use your computer while on LSD.

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

I'll assume you haven't bothered looking at the CPU specs/comparisons then...

15. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

because you've seen the benchmarks, or used the new mb? or is this in fact a suggestion on how to work on the new mac... :cool:

16. TreRep thread starter macrumors regular

TreRep

retina macbook pro late 13 had lags with that retina resolution...

it is impossible that this new 12 macbook will not have lags with the hd 5300...at least in other than standard resolutions

the real estate screen in native resolution is below the actual 11' resolution... maybe there is a reson for this?

----------

other thing:

if this retina macbook 12 is so voted to mobility why not include LTE/4G? :eek: for a machine of that price... and that range of premiumness...

17. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

all of this is...speculation. perhaps waiting for benchmarks, real-world usage reports...or an actual, personal experience with the new macbook would be more useful? :rolleyes:

18. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I plan on ordering the MB and using it in conjunction with the iPad. I have a Logitech BT keyboard for the iPad but I feel that the iPad functions best as a tablet.

----------

FYI - Photogene edits RAW files on an iPad. I do, however, agree with the thrust of your argument.

19. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I think this is a great point to keep in mind when somebody says the 12" macbook isn't powerful enough for pro apps.

Many pro apps (like the ones you've listed) run just fine even on older 2009 hardware, and they'll fly on the new Macbook especially with the SSD.
    Logic for example isn't that resource-intensive unless you have a ton of tracks or have stacked a bunch of realtime effects.

Lightroom and Photoshop should run fine on it too, the only issue would be the smallish screen. But for field photography? Perfect. Maybe you'd need an SD card dongle but many cameras support WiFi these days.

Final Cut Pro will likely even run fine for 1080p projects, though you'll probably have a bad time editing 4K video.

20. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I'm sure the Pogue, Mossberg et al reviews will roll out a few days before the 10th to get the hype machine revving again. :)

21. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Logitech's "UltraThin" keyboard is actually surprisingly good. Costly, but after trying several Bluetooth keyboards I feel it's totally worth the price.

But yes, touching the screen is unavoidable with iOS. Just depends on what the device is used for. Personally, the new Macbook doesn't have enough screen estate or horsepower to be a "full" laptop for me (for work/etc), so I would only use it for browsing, watching clips, keeping notes, and for writing. I can do all of that with the iPad + UltraThin also, for half the price. (And I prefer a tablet for browsing and watching videos.)

Matter of preference and needs.

22. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm looking at it as an iPad replacement.

My 15" rMBP stays docked at home as a heavy-duty desktop. I take my iPad 3 and a Logitech ultra thin keyboard cover to school for notes. This MB would be a perfect replacement for that.

I do think it's overpriced by $100-$200 dollars right now, but I'm starting grad school so it will either be a new iPad or the new MB.

23. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

"at this point an iPad is better for the kind of work you can use the rMB i think... maybe an iPad Pro 12 with a keyboard accessory made by apple directly.... "

I am continually amazed at how many people are experts about a device which hasn't even been tested yet.

But in the end an iPad will never and I mean never replace a full featured OSX machine of any size. Even Microsoft found this out when they attempted to build a tablet with an ARM version of their OS.

The iPad is an iPad and the pro 12.9" version will not be able to do things the rMB will, it's that simple. But, I do know this (because I'm typing on OSX 2014 11" MBA) the rMB will be able to do things the iPad will never be able to do.

BTW I occasionally use my current iPad with 'duet' to get more screen space. Great app and program!

24. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

You could view the rMB as the 12" IPad Pro everyone has been wanting for the past year. It's small, light, thin, and runs OS X. What more did people want from an iPad Pro?