So I woke up to this screen. Called AppleCare and they could not resolve the issue now I am headed to the local ARS. I might be getting the rMBP. It's heavier and has more power than I need but I don't need these issues. If they have another rMB in stock I might exchange it. I am really disappointed. I think FileVault may have played a role but I am not an expert. I will let you know what the genius had to say. So I have to return the rMB and the ARS does not have any in stock. It will take 4-6wks to get another one. Not to mention the packaging slip is the wrong one. (I never open the packaging slip) and the specialist didn't notic me it when processing the refund, which means I have a didffernt serial number from what is showing. I have decided to just purchase a rMBP and call it a day! I have never had any issues with any of my Apple products and I still adore them but I really do not like the way this product was launch. Not to mention the specialist thinks the rMB are made to order. No Apple bashing from me... I will most likely purchase the second version of the rMB.